I want a quiet and bright hihat for use with my vdrums kit
Roman
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Gear addict

I want a quiet and bright hihat for use with my vdrums kit

I have a Roland TD3KW kit. It has MIDI out and I intend to customise my drum sounds with my sampler and maybe drum software.
I always planned on supplementing the drum samples with a real hihat. This seems to be common practise and I have heard it in many recordings.
A real hihat is way more expressive than sampled hihats. Even with the bow and edge triggers of the vdrums.

I mostly want to record reggae rhythms. Yes Bob Marleys drummer had a good hihat sound.
Short and controlled. Maybe all in the playing?
But I want recommendations on which zildjian hihats will give me a bright tone, short decay? and possibly quieter than other hihats.
I am totally inexperienced with recording real acoustic drums. But I am an expert on drum sampling from records and sample libraries.

I would prefer a quieter hihat because that is one of the reasons I have a vdrums kit. I couldn't play real drums in my house regularly. Plus I like the possibilities of using drum samples.

I am trying to avoid the sloshy hihat sound that I hear in modern reggae. The 70s drummers had a controlled short hihat sound to my ears.

I am assuming the short hihat sound is tip to bow playing and the off beat slightly longer hihat sound is shank to edge. Or maybe it's just accenting that makes the slightly longer hihat sound.

But that is what I hear in reggae short and slightly longer hihat sounds.
Which hihats should I narrow my search to?
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Gear nut

You probably want a pair of light 13"s. I have a pair of Dream Bliss hi hats that are perfect for a short light sound. They are only $150 but are hand made b20 cymbals.
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

I also have a pair of Dreams. They record well in my room. Especially with ribbons. But I've noticed on gigs recorded with a Zoom that they tend to excite hard rooms and sound a little spitty.
I would recommend some older New Beats, especially if you can find some 13s, for a brighter clean sound. I used to have some Sabian AAs that did what you're talking about. My current working set is a 60s top with a 70s New Beat bottom. Very versatile and can get what you're asking for. If you were hitting harder I have a set of 70s Constantinoples I want to sell so that I can find some trashier Ks.
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear maniac

The older new beats from the 70's are a bit thinner which makes them quieter.

They sound great, are plentiful and reasonably priced.
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
I have a Roland TD3KW kit. It has MIDI out and I intend to customise my drum sounds with my sampler and maybe drum software.
I always planned on supplementing the drum samples with a real hihat. This seems to be common practise and I have heard it in many recordings.
A real hihat is way more expressive than sampled hihats. Even with the bow and edge triggers of the vdrums.

I mostly want to record reggae rhythms. Yes Bob Marleys drummer had a good hihat sound.
Short and controlled. Maybe all in the playing?
But I want recommendations on which zildjian hihats will give me a bright tone, short decay? and possibly quieter than other hihats.
I am totally inexperienced with recording real acoustic drums. But I am an expert on drum sampling from records and sample libraries.

I would prefer a quieter hihat because that is one of the reasons I have a vdrums kit. I couldn't play real drums in my house regularly. Plus I like the possibilities of using drum samples.

I am trying to avoid the sloshy hihat sound that I hear in modern reggae. The 70s drummers had a controlled short hihat sound to my ears.

I am assuming the short hihat sound is tip to bow playing and the off beat slightly longer hihat sound is shank to edge. Or maybe it's just accenting that makes the slightly longer hihat sound.

But that is what I hear in reggae short and slightly longer hihat sounds.
Which hihats should I narrow my search to?

check out the Zildian Gen16 - they are super bright and quiet acoustically...
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear nut

Gen16s are bright and quiet, but they sound terrible. They have lots of nasty overtones.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Gear nut

13 new beats or k's - something a bit aged to take out some of the ring, and sound great when played at low volumes.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search