Pearl Vision Drumset for studio kit
New Reply
Subscribe
Jon Con
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear nut

Pearl Vision Drumset for studio kit

I'm not a drummer but I'm looking to get a decent drumkit for the studio for instances when bands come in and haven't got the best sounding kit in the world.

Our studio is an all right little demo studio and over the last year or so we've managed to bring in some decent guitar and bass amps and think the next decent investment would be a well looked after kit.

I've got a budget of around £700-900 to spend on just the shells (have hardware already) and was looking at a Pearl Vision kit like the one in the link below and I'd really appreciate any opinions or suggestions for alternatives as well.

Pearl Limited Edition Vision Birch Kit in Ruby Fade | Andertons

thanks in advance
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

The vision birch kits are quite nice for the money.

If you can - I'd look at used. Equivalent level kits used would be PDP, Gretsch Catalina, etc. Another option is to go much older - they still sound fantastic if you get a good kit.

Remember.. you'll want GOOD cymbals. You can sand/wax a bearing edge and put good heads on a mediocre drum and make it sound plenty good. There's nothing you can do about a crappy cymbal.
"Seriously, there's a certain kind of creative inspiration that can come from exploring the outer limits of a musical instrument. Now days the limits are so vast that it can be difficult to set boundaries." --spargee
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Guru

14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear addict

I would suggest going with more standard tom sizes. These are more shallow than usual and will lack a certain tone that comes with deeper shells. Standard sizes for these diameters are 10x8 (or 10x9), 12x10, 14x14, 16x16.
Jon Con
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear nut

thanks for taking the time to reply guys. From speaking to friends, the general consensus was to look at a 2nd hand pearl masters and speak to a couple of small drum companies based in the UK and take it from there. Also the tom depth wasn't something I would have picked up on. Cheers Gamelan!
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Guru

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search