Nu-tra
22nd March 2006
Old 22nd March 2006
Lives for gear

Cymbals!

HEy guys,

I have a 16 inch medium thin and 18 inch medium thin zildjian standard A. I like the pitch difference between the two but the 16 seems to be way lower in volume than the 18. Should I go 16 in medium in weight? I guess it's all subjective due to how every cymbal sounds different. I'm trying to get a good balance between my pre and mic placement. No matter what stereo pair I put up the 16 seems lower in volume. Gain setting are identical on both pres. I dont want to bring up the gain because my snare will come up with it cand totally pull it to one side of my mix.

Any advice will be appreciated.

V
22nd March 2006
Old 22nd March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra
No matter what stereo pair I put up the 16 seems lower in volume. Gain setting are identical on both pres. I dont want to bring up the gain because my snare will come up with it cand totally pull it to one side of my mix.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Hit it harder.

22nd March 2006
Old 22nd March 2006
Lives for gear

Align the OH mics and cymbals so that the 16" is closer to the mic(s) than the 18".

IOW, raise the 16" and lower the 18". As for the snare, as long as the mics are the same distance from the point-of-impact on the snare, the placement height won't affect the center image.
Nu-tra
22nd March 2006
Old 22nd March 2006
Lives for gear

oh ok thanks! I thought the cymbal had to be the same height as well.

V
22nd March 2006
Old 22nd March 2006
Lives for gear

... or you could try a thicker weight 17-18" cymbal in place of the 16" medium thin: comparable pitch + more volume.

imo, the 18" A med thin plays well with the 18" A rock crash. try a few to see what you think...
Nu-tra
22nd March 2006
Old 22nd March 2006
Lives for gear

HAHA I would never do that it sounds like shit.

V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs
Please - dont hit the cymbals harder...

Gustav
22nd March 2006
Old 22nd March 2006
Gear maniac

medium weight will be louder, but could also not be what you are wanting tone wise. I LOVE the zildjian A custom series...every cymbal in that group sounds amazing. and if you think those are too thin, get the A custom projection crashes. still great sounding, but a little thicker.
Nu-tra
23rd March 2006
Old 23rd March 2006
Lives for gear

I was thinking of getting a 16 and 18 A custom. I will probably have the same problem with volume no?
10th October 2006
Old 10th October 2006
Lives for gear

afaik, thicker cymbals are higher pitched and bigger cymbals are generally louder. choose accordingly.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search