Login / Register

Looking for cymbals for my studio kit.
New Reply
Subscribe
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
Gear maniac

Call me crazy, but I like the AAX series.
The 18" exlosion one sounds amazing. The 16" explosion also sounds good, but it's on the brink of being too small. I have a studio AAX 19" that is too dark compared to them. The hi hats are the cat's meow. I will say the AAX ride sucks though. Currently looking to replace that lol.
Jax
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Jax
Lives for gear

18" Sabian HHX Evolution crash is nice. I'm tired of the sound of my A Customs.

For character, punch and even some raunch, check out the Dream stuff. I have a 20" Dream Bliss crash and a 16" Dream Energy.

The 20 sounds ferocious, Loud and deep but it can be funky and jazzy if played lightly as a ride. The 16 is the heaviest (in weight, yeah) cymbal I own, bright and cutting but never harsh and it has a character to the sound like no other cymbal I've heard. Can't describe it. Long decay too but not in an obnoxious way. Come to think of it... what a weird, cool cymbal. Also, Dream is ridiculously inexpensive.

I'm just bored with cymbals that sound like what I expect and sound middle of the road.
James Lugo
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011

I'm going to get cymbals tomorrow any last words????

J
11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to ivmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post

J
Buy whatever sounds good to you, regardless of the name or alloy.
James Lugo
11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011

That's good advice accept I'm not a drummer and I second guess myself on this purchase. I have some good ideas and I will let you guys know how tomorrow goes.
11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011
Gear nut

Quote:

J
Hey James. We talked a while back when we were both getting our U47w's...

I'm a bit of a cymbal freak and literally have dozens in all shapes and sizes; Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian, Bosphorous, Istanbul Agop, Masterwork, UFIP... it's kind of a sickness actually. As others have said, it's really a matter of taste depending on the vibe and style of music, and IMO it's really about a cymbal's overtones that make it work or not.

I know you do a lot of pretty heavy rock material, and for that my recommendation would be for the Paiste stuff; particularly their dry rides and thin, fast crashes. What I like about them is that they have a nice shimmery high end that cuts without being overly harsh, without a lot of mid freq overtones that can be a struggle to notch or scoop without messing up the sound of the overall kit in the OHs. For a little accent trashy thing, the Sabian HHX are cool as well.

I've found lately that some of the online cymbal sites are really a good way to reference stuff you are interested in, cause you can get a reasonable idea of what a cymbal sounds like when recorded based on a sound file or vid of that actual cymbal. Good luck with it. David

Cymbals at myCymbal.com - We have Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian, Meinl, Bosphorus, Istanbul Agop, Hammerax, Matt Nolan Custom Cymbals, Wuhan, Gongs, Prototypes, Used & Vintage Cymbals
The Cymbal Shop- Retailer for Istanbul Agop Cymbals
11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011
Gear addict

Hey James, I really like the 16", 17", 18", 19" Sabian AAX X-plosions and (fast) Brilliant; Sabian HHX Evolutions 16", 17", 18" sound great. Listen to Dokken, Under Lock and Key, I have always loved those cymbals on that CD! This is the sound I like lately, but not a modern sound. I can't remember, but I thought Mick Brown was playing Sabian HH...not sure though. A little on the darker side with some nice warm wash with cutting belltones in there from middle to end of shimmer. Hard to describe, I just really like this sound.

AAX X-plosion Brilliant 18", a must have for me. Also check out the other sizes, definitely tasty cymbals. Paiste has some nice stuff also, 2002's for rock! Don't leave out the 19", 20" crashes, you never know, sometimes you find an amazing sounding cymbal.

If you have time, I would get a drummer in there with different sets of cymbals. Sabian X-plosions Brilliant,Sabian HHX Evolutions, Sabian HH, Paiste 2002's. Overdub some drum tracks. Not sure if stores are still doing this, but I used to do this years ago, as long as I brought them back with no marks or dents on them. I would get 3 to 4 of each set of crash cymbals, try them out, bring back the ones I didn't like the next day for a refund. Just a verse and chorus with three different types of tunes, fast, medium and ballad...Listen and choose!
James Lugo
11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011

Spent the afternoon playing and listening to cymbals and went with these:

Zildjian A New Beat 14" HH
Zildjian 21' Medium Ride
Zildjian A 18" Medium Thin Crash
Zildjian A 20" Medium Thin Crash

There was a Paiste and Sabien I liked but they seemed to resonate and sound really different, this combo sounded the best to me, not to bright not to dark. Came back and recorded me playing (which is depressing cause I suck) and seemed to sound really good, I need to get a real player in here asap.
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
500 series nutjob

Send a message via Skype™ to pan60
i have a number of different Zildjian A's, i have no issues with them at all.
i am always looking for a reason to grab another one: O~
i want some 12'' or 13'' hats next and at some point some 15'' ers.

been loving a flat to and a flat ride lately.

Pan60 Facebook Page

Pan's Facebook
BLAST PAD Inventor just one invention among others.
A CHARTER MEMBER OF THE 500 FORMAT, MAFIA

it is easy to sound as though one was endowed with great intelligence, whilst speaking amongst a crowd of total morons
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Gear addict

Wish I was closer to your studio...Can't go wrong with the new beats HH's. I have some new beats from the late 80's, and some from the mid 90's and they sound so different you would think they are different brands! They both sound great, the ones from the 80's sound drier and they cut through with a very high chick sound. Great for some groovin' funk, or oldies. I use my A custom mastersounds for the more modern rock, pop stuff. Did you get a chance to hear the A series mastersounds/A custom mastersound hi hats? You just can't have enough HH's, rides, or crashes. Congrats on the cymbal purchases, careful, it's addictive.
James Lugo
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011

They had a few different sets of new beat hh and they all sounded different, I picked the ones I thought were best to my ears for what I mostly do but again what a hard thing to choose when you're not a drummer. I have a drummer coming by today to play and see how he likes them and how they record.
13th November 2011
Old 13th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Zildjian 21' Medium Ride
That should work just fine, James. A's are good stuff.
James Lugo
13th November 2011
Old 13th November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
That should work just fine, James. A's are good stuff.
Yeah I think they sit in the middle which I think will be good for me. Not to dark, not to bright. Here's a clip from drum day yesterday:
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Gear addict

Sounds great James...can't wait to hear those Zildjian A's in a mix!
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:

Zildjian 21' Medium Ride

There was a Paiste and Sabien I liked but they seemed to resonate and sound really different, this combo sounded the best to me, not to bright not to dark. Came back and recorded me playing (which is depressing cause I suck) and seemed to sound really good, I need to get a real player in here asap.
Good choice! Those are very nice crashes. I've always had good luck with Zild A's for recording.
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pressman View Post
Good choice! Those are very nice crashes. I've always had good luck with Zild A's for recording.
Cool, I'm excited have my first session Friday.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search