Login / Register

What's the difference between double chain and single chain pedals?
New Reply
Subscribe
bgomez15
17th September 2010
Old 17th September 2010
Gear maniac

What's the difference between double chain and single chain pedals?

It seems that higher end chaindriven pedals have 2 chains instead of one. what's the difference in the feel? im sure it also means that the chain is less prone to snap and will last longer. But what's the difference?

I'm looking to buy a dirt cheap double bass pedal cuz I can't afford anything more than $200. The PDP 502 is the cheapest pedal with a full base plate and double chain for $150. but i found it at cymbalfusion.com for $130.

i was thinking that or the Tama Iron cobra jr. for $180, but it only has a single chain drive
17th September 2010
Old 17th September 2010
Gear maniac

On double chain you get more durability and more power and speed on your throw.

Double chain's great and I'd recommend it 80% of the time but I switched back to single chain. The thing I don't like (especially when combined with modern cam designs which they dub 'power' and 'turbo') is the pedals start to behave more like buttons then a mallet. It's almost as if you get so much throw you can't control it. This is okay for a lot of styles but I really like messing with tones from the bass drum. I can't do that if the beater is always smashing into the head.

This is good though for rock and especially metal where you want consistent power. Also if you're gigging/touring you want a pedal that has a smaller chance of breaking down and double chains are tougher. Instead of stomping down on one little piece of the chain, you've got twice the amount of surface to push down on.
19th September 2010
Old 19th September 2010
Gear maniac

Jax
19th September 2010
Old 19th September 2010
Jax
Lives for gear

Preference of pedals is actually quite subjective, although opinions from someone whose experience you have a good reason to value are also worthwhile.

I'd recommend going to the local drum shop or guitar center and playing every pedal they have in stock, regardless of price. There is no point to smacking the beater against the rubber wall these shops usually place in front of a row of pedals. Take them over to a well-tuned kick and play something on the whole kit that fits with what you often play when practicing.

Since you're staying within a budget, you'll probably notice characteristics of more expensive pedals that you particularly like. Now start paying attention to price and pick out the pedal that feels best compared to the higher priced pedals, and that also fits what you're willing to pay.

I don't recommend buying much of anything based on internet advice, but there are proven, sensible ways to test most gear before buying. I've always found that drawing my own conclusions makes the most sense, since almost everything gear-related is based on your own personal preference in the end.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search