drumming cardio exercise
ScumBum
21st June 2009
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

drumming cardio exercise

Do you think drumming can be considered exercise ?
21st June 2009
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Guru

It might be, it might not be. It depends how much energy you put into it.
I think jogging, swimming, cycling, going to the gym are far more effective.
Jax
22nd June 2009
Old 22nd June 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Drumming can absolutely be exercise, including a full-on cardio workout. If you work up a sweat, then you've probably burned a decent amount of calories, increased the level of your circulation and heart beat.

Almost every time I play, I play very hard for a long time and I'm wiped out by the end. I did this just last night and have no doubt I'm getting exercise.

NPR once did a report comparing hard working drummers to full time athletes, but since I could find it, here's some food for thought (from the article
drummers beat footballers in fitness levels):

"Dr Marcus Smith from Chichester University in Britain, who helped to carry out the research, said: "They [footballers] find playing a Champions League game once every two weeks a drain, but musicians are doing it every day when they are on tour. Their fitness levels need to be outstanding."
22nd June 2009
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

I think drumming doesn't provide enough stimulation to truly make one become substanially fitter.

Although it would be nice for the old ego to feel that drumming is on a par with the physical prowess of professional sports people in truth many a fat b@stard sits on the drum throne. e

If you sit down then you are only waggling your arms and legs about rather than making the large muscles of your legs handle your body weight then how could this ever equal the performance level of a soccer player.

Although I play double kick and I do have to build up my fitness to pull off a show I get fit far quicker by going for brisk walks up and down the local hills than by drumming alone.

I think that it is possible to practice drumming to be like a strenuous work out. But in reality why would a musician practice their instrument beyond the performance level of being a drummer.

I may learn to play my songs faster than the required tempo or to increase my endurance to employ a technique through a physically challenging song but it is silly to over train too much.

Peace,
cortisol

Last edited by cortisol; 22nd June 2009 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: filling in the gaps of my ramblings
22nd June 2009
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
Do you think drumming can be considered exercise ?
Do you think that a baker mixing dough is exercising?

I think drumming resembles exercise at times but there are far more efficient ways to get fit.

Peace,
cortiol
22nd June 2009
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
If you sit down then you are only waggling your arms and legs about rather than making the large muscles of your legs handle your body weight then how could this ever equal the performance level of a soccer player.

Although I play double kick and I do have to build up my fitness to pull off a show I get fit far quicker by going for brisk walks up and down the local hills than by drumming alone.

First point: you don't need to support your body weight with your legs to get a good work out. Thats just crazy. If the muscles in your body are pumping you will build muscle up in your arms and legs in no time. Muscles burn, burns fat, makes muscle.

Second point: so you're telling me that you need to increase your fitness to play the stuff you do on drums. That would just mean that you have to be fit right? I'm sure if you played your set once or twice a day you would easily get fitter and maintain a fitness level.

Drumming is excersise. Good day (but obviously it depends on what type of drumming )
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Guru

I think drumming really helps your stamina. I used to play on traveling volleyball teams and after a long day's tournament, I still had energy, and other guys who considered themselves jocks were wiped out.

It's not a substitute for a "real" workout, though IMO.

I have seen other studies that rate drumming somewhat below most sports and athletic workouts. It's exercise for sure, but you will not get the same per-hour workout as a lot of other things.
24th June 2009
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

Hi Drum_101 and g'day to you too.

To answer point 1: Drum sticks and the resistence in your kick pedal aren't workin you that hard. The kinds of muscle you build up from drumming are endurance type muscle fibres which use the oxygen aspect of our respiration rather than ATP. They don't get that big in other words think of the skinny long distance runners and their build. And yet all drummers don't end up looking like that. hmm maybe its because drumming doesn't make you that much fitter. Yatzi!

To answer point 2: Exercise involves your body responding to the stimulation of the stress placed on it by activity so that you can adapt to it. Once the physical activity has been adapted to then all that needs to happen is for your body to maintain that level of fitness above your basal metabolic rate. But drumming simply isn't as demanding on the respiratory system as doing a power walk or playing AFL or soccer etc. And it doesn't produce the muscle mass of weight training or anything requiring ATP.

It requires more of you than watching TV or ordering a pizza but probably not as much energy as digesting the pizza! LOL

Peace,
cortisol
24th June 2009
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

Well it helps developing muscle and when practicing for long times on high speeds then your condition will improve for sure.

However, look at the other way round. Going to the gym will help develop muscles, which will benefit playing.

Even for us pianists, going to the gym gets the muscles in shape, gives us more strength in the fingers and makes us play better.
Jax
24th June 2009
Old 24th June 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainy-taxi View Post
Even for us pianists, going to the gym gets the muscles in shape, gives us more strength in the fingers and makes us play better.
Technically speaking, pianists are percussionists (pressing a lever to activate a hammer that strikes a string). Welcome to the party!
27th June 2009
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Technically speaking, pianists are percussionists (pressing a lever to activate a hammer that strikes a string). Welcome to the party!
Yes I know. In fact, some great pianists have a very percussion like way of playing. It's almost like they play a percussion instrument instead of the piano.

Both keyboardists and drummers have one thing in common; it's the shoulder girdle where everything comes from…
28th June 2009
Old 28th June 2009
Gear maniac

Depends on how you are playing. If you get your heart rate up then yes you are getting a cardio workout. If you are playing mostly laid back with a light touch then there is not much benefit from an exercise standpoint.

Steve Gadd said he had to start an exercise program when he reached his forties to keep in shape so most players will probably benefit from exercise besides drumming alone.
29th June 2009
Old 29th June 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
Hi Drum_101 and g'day to you too.

To answer point 1: Drum sticks and the resistence in your kick pedal aren't workin you that hard. The kinds of muscle you build up from drumming are endurance type muscle fibres which use the oxygen aspect of our respiration rather than ATP. They don't get that big in other words think of the skinny long distance runners and their build. And yet all drummers don't end up looking like that. hmm maybe its because drumming doesn't make you that much fitter. Yatzi!

To answer point 2: Exercise involves your body responding to the stimulation of the stress placed on it by activity so that you can adapt to it. Once the physical activity has been adapted to then all that needs to happen is for your body to maintain that level of fitness above your basal metabolic rate. But drumming simply isn't as demanding on the respiratory system as doing a power walk or playing AFL or soccer etc. And it doesn't produce the muscle mass of weight training or anything requiring ATP.

It requires more of you than watching TV or ordering a pizza but probably not as much energy as digesting the pizza! LOL

Peace,
cortisol
Ok so I was incorrect about muscle tone (in that aspect) but only because I never stipulated the amount of muscle gained. I never said you would drum to be a body builder. All drummers will agree with me that you build muscles while drumming. The evidence is quite clear. You also can't say that it doesn't work your respiratory system. The inital part of this thread talks about how the heart pumps faster then a trainer soccer player. Moving at high pace will indeed make your blood pump and increase your bodies need for oxygen.
Hell even running doesn't build up muscle mass but it builds stamina (yes it does build up some muscle, but again not like weights would. I think I have to be as clear as possible not to be miss read).

Now if you want to be as basic as possible that any physical movement is going to be more then non. The only way you could say drumming is not excersise is if you say that you will get more exercise by sitting still. Which is just not the case. (and again it all comes down to what type of music you play)

JENGA
ScumBum
2nd July 2009
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

I know its not gonna build muscle like working out with weights , but that article with the study says drumming gives a great cardio work out .
2nd July 2009
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear nut

i read in an article that one hour of "rock" drumming can burn in upwards of 1600 calories. while that seems really high...it's your smacking the hell out of your stuff, under super hot lights, using all 4 limbs...i dunno, might make sense. if i find a link to the article again, i'll post it.
Jax
3rd July 2009
Old 3rd July 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Those of you in doubt that drumming can (<<<premise of thread) be cardio exercise, just get a dvd of a Blondie concert and watch Clem Burke go to town. Or Dave Lombardo above. Or me last night!

Like most aerobic exercise, it depends on the intensity and the frequency with which you partake.

I think we're done, but this thread keeps coming back. lol

I burned 3 calories typing this.
6th July 2009
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
I burned 3 calories typing this.
I burned .01 calories reading it...

plus the 3 calories to type my reply!
6th July 2009
Old 6th July 2009
Gear addict

Yes as long as the drummer bangs on those things like no ones business.

Nothing, NOTHING, bothers me more than a lazy drummer whose sole responsibility is to hit the drums LOUD & on time.

in less of course the song doesn't call for it, but I don't wanna hear excuses, drummers are always full of them...
23rd November 2011
Old 23rd November 2011
Gear nut

Firstly for all u amateurs who get there cardio workout ftom practicing go find somone with decent techniqhe to teach u how 2 play properly. Good technique is all about power speed and controll with minimal effort. If your arms or legs r sore after playing your trying 2 hard and eventually u will devolp rsi.
Dont get me wrong. im all for throwin your arms around in stage, and sweating it out in front of lights, but its all for looks. A pro drummer should be able to play for hours effortlessly!
If u want exercise your drums are not the place 2 get it.
25th November 2011
Old 25th November 2011
Gear nut

26th November 2011
Old 26th November 2011
Gear nut

i agree compleatly gabriel, for a live show this is a great way to entertain a crowd. i do it my self. then some bogan will come up me and tell me im almost as good as lars ulrich!(gotta love that complement, NOT!). but in the studio and for general practice this sort of playing is usless! i focus on conserving my energy so that when the situation calls for it 4 hours into the session i can still start workwhat ever i like. look at the best session guys in he world, they all make it look easy and they play compleatly relaxed and it sill sounds hot as!
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal2612 View Post
Firstly for all u amateurs who get there cardio workout ftom practicing go find somone with decent techniqhe to teach u how 2 play properly. Good technique is all about power speed and controll with minimal effort. If your arms or legs r sore after playing your trying 2 hard and eventually u will devolp rsi.
Dont get me wrong. im all for throwin your arms around in stage, and sweating it out in front of lights, but its all for looks. A pro drummer should be able to play for hours effortlessly!
If u want exercise your drums are not the place 2 get it.

Wise words. Can't tell you how many of these guy (who some had great potential) post in drum forums everyday about wrist, and hand problems as early as 15 years of old.

Tendon strength is not gotten overnight. It takes time to get the tendons of steel to really play fast (plus technique).

Just find a copy of Jo jo's video if you do not have a teacher. Your wrist and hands will thank you later.

Back on track yes it can be cardio even with good technique. With many cymbals spread out over a kit, and a fast tempo can make the best of them get tired. Ecept D chambers who honestly looks like he is simply meditating as he blast through solo's and chews his gum
mef
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
mef
Gear interested

There is a study done in 1993 with The Star of Indiana Drum and Bugle Corps, that aired on PBS. It was to how how much oxygen is used by drummers the study was done by Professor at Indiana State University. Granted marching percussion is very different than drumset, however it is still similar. I will try and find the link and post it here. The conclusion was that a matching percussionist used about as much oxygen as a marathon runner in an11.5 minute show. I think that was the comparison they used it was 1993 after all.
mef
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
mef
Gear interested

6th December 2011
Old 6th December 2011
Gear maniac

Not if you're doing it properly.
5th February 2012
Old 5th February 2012
Gear interested

Drumming can definitely be considered exercise, though it can't replace "proper" exercise if that's the aim.

It doesn't matter how good your technique is, if you're using a lot of double bass and having to move your arms quickly, it's going to raise your heart rate. That's exercise right there. Just look at the drummers coming off stage at most metal/rock concerts and they're usually sweating buckets. That's not necessarily sloppy technique, it's just that they're having to move their arms/legs quickly.

I know I take a spare shirt to gigs as I'm usually dripping with sweat by the time I come off stage. Of course the hot lights and humid atmosphere don't exactly help.

Actually, the BBC posted an article about this which people might find interesting: BBC NEWS | Health | Rock drummers 'are top athletes'

ScumBum
5th February 2012
Old 5th February 2012
Lives for gear

I don't think I'd last one song playing like this .

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search