Login / Register

Best heads for bass drum for Taiko sound.
New Reply
Subscribe
Kroy
23rd July 2008
Old 23rd July 2008
Gear maniac

Best heads for bass drum for Taiko sound.

I want to mount a 20 X 8 Premier Artist Birch bass drum on a stand and play it like a Taiko drum. What heads would anyone recommend for the best sound?

(I had thought Remo Fiberskyn - but they're only available up to 18in. Currently I'm thinking Remo Clear + Remo Coated Ambassador, but could be persuaded otherwise).
23rd July 2008
Old 23rd July 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
I want to mount a 20 X 8 Premier Artist Birch bass drum on a stand and play it like a Taiko drum. What heads would anyone recommend for the best sound?

(I had thought Remo Fiberskyn - but they're only available up to 18in. Currently I'm thinking Remo Clear + Remo Coated Ambassador, but could be persuaded otherwise).
To get a 20" Fiberskyn should not be a problem. I have it on my 28" BD.
i think a 2 ply head, like a Emperor sounds a bit closer to a Taiko.
Best would be a thick real skin, like the original Japanese Drums.
But no idea where to get in the UK.
Kroy
23rd July 2008
Old 23rd July 2008
Gear maniac

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know where I can get calf heads in the UK?

Also, if I put a calf head on the top, what should I put on the bottom?
23rd July 2008
Old 23rd July 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know where I can get calf heads in the UK?

Also, if I put a calf head on the top, what should I put on the bottom?
here are two alternatives from REMO

Fiberskyn® 3 is available in the three commonly used weights, but are referenced differently because of the additional bonding process. (FD weight is the equivalent of a Diplomat™ thickness while the following (FA) is the equivalent of an Ambassador™-weight. After that is FE, which is the equivalent of a two-ply thickness.

Remo Renaissance Emperor Weight Heads
A warmth, sensitivity, and articulation reminiscent of calfskin all characterize Renaissance™ heads. These heads have a very warm and tonal sound that’s great for melodic expression and affords a wider, more balanced sound spectrum for tympani, snares, toms, and bass drums in any drumming application. Renaissance™ is the new worldwide industry standard for tympani drums in live or studio situations.

and for the real thing:
Google is Your friend ;-)

Eddie Ryan Custom Drums - Drum Repairs & Drum Heads

(and remeber, you need a very thick skin)

take the same head on bottom, or a thinner one.
Kroy
23rd July 2008
Old 23rd July 2008
Gear maniac

Yes - I was going to call Eddy Ryan tomorrow. (I used to play one his kits - a lovely little birds eye maple kit). He does look like the only one who may be able to help in these parts...

Thanks!
26th July 2008
Old 26th July 2008
Gear interested

i see the question was already answered. when i was in high school drumline about 10 years ago we did some taiko type stuff in our show and used the Fiberskyn heads on some old bass drums we had. sounded great. hope you are able to acheive the sound you're looking for.
Kroy
26th July 2008
Old 26th July 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungletronics View Post
i see the question was already answered. when i was in high school drumline about 10 years ago we did some taiko type stuff in our show and used the Fiberskyn heads on some old bass drums we had. sounded great. hope you are able to acheive the sound you're looking for.
Thanks - that's helpful! Single headed or double? If double what was on the bottom? Can you remember if they were Fiberskyn Diplomats, Ambassadors or Emperors?
27th July 2008
Old 27th July 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Thanks - that's helpful! Single headed or double? If double what was on the bottom? Can you remember if they were Fiberskyn Diplomats, Ambassadors or Emperors?
They were double headed. i believe fiberskyn ambassadors for both sides. i really wish i still had photos of them. or even video. we played on them with marching bassdrum mallets too. the smaller one's for "top bass"

another thing you could maybe look into would be the Remo Mondo heads a la Walfredo Reyes Sr. about 10 years ago. not sure if they still make them.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search