Subscribe
pan60
28th May 2008
Old 28th May 2008
500 series nutjob

Send a message via Skype™ to pan60
drum strippers?

i am seeing a lot of vintage drums stripped and sold for parts: )~
is their really that much more money in the individual parts as opposed to a complete drum and or kit?

Pan60 Facebook Page

Pan's Facebook
BLAST PAD Inventor just one invention among others.
A CHARTER MEMBER OF THE 500 FORMAT, MAFIA

it is easy to sound as though one was endowed with great intelligence, whilst speaking amongst a crowd of total morons
7th June 2008
Old 7th June 2008
Lives for gear

Damn it, Pan60! I was hoping to see some naked chicks playing drums in this thread!

I'd say that there is a big demand for replacement parts so I'm sure some people would rather just have the money than try to restore their own drum. (kinda like cars too, you can often make more over a period of time parting out a junked car then selling it whole)
10th June 2008
Old 10th June 2008
Gear nut

I think there's also some ebay-psychology at work here.

So just a hypothetical situation: some guy has an early 80 Tama kit. He lists them on ebay at more than he bought them for new. They're 25 years old, so they've gotta be "vintage."

Of course, nobody bids.

So he lowers the price by $100.

Same deal. No bids.

All the while hes watching other Tama auctions, and despairing that his kit won't sell. He sees someone list 3 tom lugs, and someone else bids $10 each for them.

The seller looks at his kit and the lightbulb goes on - "look at that, I've got at least 50 of those...that $500 is better than nothing."

So he lists a couple...he gets $10 for 'em. But now the market for old Tama lugs is glutted...and he's back where he started. He's asking too much for the remaining lugs...and the whole kit is now incomplete, so he can't flip it as a whole either. He's kinda committed to parting it out, one way or another.

You see the same thing in consoles - the whole doesn't sell, so they start selling off strips...and then after 6 months, you see the console listed again, now sporting a buck-tooth grin.

Not every console strip is a 1073...not every old drum is a round-badge.
pan60
10th June 2008
Old 10th June 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
Damn it, Pan60! I was hoping to see some naked chicks playing drums in this thread!
i am hoping someone will post that very photo: )~
then, we can all see some naked chicks playing drums in this thread!
pan60
24th June 2008
Old 24th June 2008
500 series nutjob

Attached Thumbnails
drum strippers?-danogirls.jpg  
13th December 2013
Old 13th December 2013
Gear addict

It is a lucrative side business.We have screwed up the entire idea of keeping drum kits ENTACT. Like they belong. I respect the BIN Ebay sales that are priced high and fair for complete kits,with original hardware still functional? I find it disrespectful to expect classic sets to sell for rock bottom,only in hopes to be parted out tom by tom or lug by lug. You can find sellers that will sell individual parts for within reason,but usually on forums.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search