After a tight funky snare drum - recommendations
New Reply
Subscribe
Kroy
19th April 2007
Old 19th April 2007
Gear maniac

After a tight funky snare drum - recommendations

I'm after a new snare drum that's going to be good for a real tight funky sound.

What size would be best, soprano or Popcorn?

eg 12 x 5 or 10 x 6

or other...

Anyone have any experience with the Pearl Popcorn snare. Or the Brady snares? Then there's the DW Edge snares...

I want something high quality.
19th April 2007
Old 19th April 2007
Gear Guru

The archetypal 'tight and funky' snare to me would be the Ludwig 400 Supraphonic (5").
20th April 2007
Old 20th April 2007
Gear addict

yeah supraphonic, you can pick em up for a good price too. probably cheaper than a brand new DW
21st April 2007
Old 21st April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
I'm after a new snare drum that's going to be good for a real tight funky sound.

What size would be best, soprano or Popcorn?

eg 12 x 5 or 10 x 6

or other...
I played the early version of Pearl's 12x7 that Dennis Chambers initially used. It was "tight and funky" but limited in volume. Kinda lacked character, though... compared to say, a Supraphonic, Dynasonic or even an Acrolite.

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with the Pearl Popcorn snare. Or the Brady snares? Then there's the DW Edge snares...

I want something high quality.
The world's your lobster in that case. Nearly every one is making smaller snares these days.

The problem is really how your definition of "tight and funky" stands up in regard to everyone else's. "Tight and funky" to me is say, anything from the hands of Steve Jordan or Clyde Stubblefield, who seldom used smaller snares (though Jordan's signature drum for Yamaha is a 13x6.5).

I know Brady was really popular for a while, and a large number of those drums were 12x8's.

The thing for me is I've never heard a 13" or 12" snare that didn't sound "small". In general, I prefer 14" snares for their versatility and their relative volume. They can still be "tight and funky" with the right head selection and technique. Again, I'd take a Supraphonic or Dynasonic over a smaller diameter snare. But that's me.

Good luck on your search.

bdp
"No work of art has ever done social harm, though a great deal of harm has been done by those who have sought to protect society against works of art which they regarded as dangerous." Stanley Kubrick (1972)

"When I listen to a band like Good Charlotte I think they are a bunch of pussies but then I remember that I’m at that age so I should just shut up and get out of the way." Henry Rollins

"We are all sons of bitches now." Kenneth Bainbridge, Physicist, Manhattan Project (1945)
21st April 2007
Old 21st April 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Lionel Cordew, who records here pretty often uses a Pearl Masters Custom snare.
They sound great
21st April 2007
Old 21st April 2007
Gear maniac

Papa Don't Take No Mess

This always seemed like the definition of "tight and funky" to me, the snare on "Papa Don't Take No Mess":

link

Too lazy to look up who the drummer is. I'm sure the guy who wrote "Give the Drummer Some" would know what size snare this is.

I am totally agreed that a 14" Supraphonic will sound extremely tight and funky, so will a Dynasonic, etc., a 5 or 5.5 deep metal snare (although some wood ones would also work if you can crank the tension high).

However, on the above track, it seems to be a piccolo snare, maybe a 14x3.5 or something?

Anyone know?

In any case it's one bad and funky snare sound.

Okay, just looked it up...it's John "Jabo" Starks, recorded Aug. 23, 1973, according to "Give the Drummers Some!" by Jim Payne. However, according to the book's index for that particular song, there is no discussion of the type of snare used.

There's a huge drum forum out there, forget the name right now, that might be a better place to look
21st April 2007
Old 21st April 2007
Lives for gear

Kroy
21st April 2007
Old 21st April 2007
Gear maniac

Thanks for all the replies.

I'd prefer to buy something new.

Based on all your comments I'm thinking maybe the Pearl Ultracast (aluminium shell) may be a good choice.

Because...the old Ludwig 400s were aluminium, but the new ones are chrome metal. Has anyone compared the old 400s to the new ones.

Has anyone tried the Ultracast?

Must say, I do like Pearl - reliable make and the lugs turn smoothly in the threads. I don't like those tight fit threads because I tune by feel as well as ear.

PhatStax Drums,
Yeah, that's a funky snare sound for sure. I could be wrong but it sounds like rimshots.

What would people say about the depth of the drum - 6, 5.5 or 5?
21st April 2007
Old 21st April 2007
MonsterIsland.com

I've got a really cheap Remo 13x 3 or 4 that's got that high and tight sound and everyone who uses it loves it. It's made out some artificail material, almost like particle board. One drummer is having a cop made he liked it so much.

You can hear it on the first track here:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...41&i=219281419
21st April 2007
Old 21st April 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatStax Drums View Post
it's John "Jabo" Starks, recorded Aug. 23, 1973, according to "Give the Drummers Some!" by Jim Payne.
Almost certainly a standard sized drum then, 5 x 14" thru 6.5 x 14".

Quote:
the old Ludwig 400s were aluminium, but the new ones are chrome metal. Has anyone compared the old 400s to the new ones.
They are all made the same way aren't they (apart from the COB version)?
They were Ludalloy then and they still are.
I have a 1960's 402 (the 6.5") and rented a new one. They sounded the same.

But hey, there are lots of great picollo snares out there.
Kroy
21st April 2007
Old 21st April 2007
Gear maniac

21st April 2007
Old 21st April 2007
Gear Guru

Hard to tell, but I'd guess 6.5" Yamaha's.
23rd April 2007
Old 23rd April 2007
Gear addict

Those drums in the Stubblefield and Starks video sound really good.
Can anybody see what mics they're using on those kits. I can't make them out on my computer screen.
Kroy
29th April 2007
Old 29th April 2007
Gear maniac

Got myself a tight funky snare drum:

Pearl Sensitone Aluminium 14 x 5

I've tuned it up tight and done a recording with my new Earthworks mics. It's a very classic sound. I'm pleased. Will probably need little EQ.
1st May 2007
Old 1st May 2007
Gear maniac

IMO that classic JBs sound is all damping and the way the drum is played...i.e as someone said rimshots and other methods of getting lots of different tones out of the drum.....It's not the result of using a piccolo sized snare or cranking the tuning of the drum up. I've been down that road and the results were disappointing.

Best,

Vari-Mu
1st May 2007
Old 1st May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because...the old Ludwig 400s were aluminium, but the new ones are chrome metal. Has anyone compared the old 400s to the new ones.
I own a 400 from the 60s and one from the early 00s. Both are 5" x 14".

The shell is definitely the same -- aluminum -- but the rims are different. The older rims are lighter. The new ones are beefier. They might also be different core materials.

For stage I use my 60s with the original, lighter, rim on the snare side, and a new Ludwig die-cast rim on the batter side. It has more pop and punch than I can stand -- I can feel it in my chest! Be sure to put good heads (I like the Aquarian satin on top) and some Purecussion snares on the botton. Crank it down for tight and funky. Loosen it up for a more "aluminum bat to the chest" sound.

Like I said, this is my stage setup.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search