New Reply
Subscribe
Blor007
2nd January 2007
Old 2nd January 2007
Gear nut

Trigger your own samples LIVE

Hi,

Is there any way to trigger your prerecorded (and editted) samples?
Like some sort of drumagog program , only able to operate standalone with 0 (small) latency.

I'm thinking of :
A: An electric drum module where you can alter the sounds via usb?!
B: A way to replace the samples inside the electric drum module?!

Any ideas?
2nd January 2007
Old 2nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to PhilR
The more expensive Roland/DDrum e-drum brains can be loaded with custom samples. You only have to visit http://www.toontrack.com to see Morgen Agrem playing sounds from Drumkit From Hell Superior triggered from a Roland TD-20.

If you can pick up an Alesis DM-PRO then you can load custom samples on that too, not as flexible as the Roland though.
2nd January 2007
Old 2nd January 2007
Gear Guru

you could get a trigger to MIDI interface and hook it up to any sampler or even your laptop

Or maybe find an old Akai sampler with the trigger input module installed- they were a little faster as they worked internally and did not have to go thru MIDI to fire the samples. You would have to load all the samples "by hand" but it would do what you want.

I had an old S900 which did it all, except the sound was 12 bit

I would guess any model up from that would be fine for live.

sometimes I miss triggering all those different sounds live

what I don't miss is lugging all those electronics, cables, heads and speakers in addition to my entire drum set.
Blor007
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Gear nut

What is the cheapest solution for a hardware dedicated sampler?
Laptop is out of the question because of compatibility problems.

I don't need flexibility , I need the cheapest most reliable way to hook up 5-8 samples (which I recorded myself) and trigger them for the drums...

The Alesis looks good but I'm looking for an even cheaper way
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to cajonezzz Send a message via MSN to cajonezzz Send a message via Skype™ to cajonezzz
Blor- definitely the cheapest, hippest way right now is to
get a Roland SPD-s and a 512 ram card. You can edit your own samples and load em in. Easy to use, a little toyish, but totally legit for what you wanna do.

I just got done helping drummers for Janet, Switchfoot and others get that happening in their live rig. Works great, although if you have a FOH guy that insists on discreet kik and snare lines, your kinda stuck as there are only two outputs. in that case these guys augment with another sampler, or second SPD ( some use a KAT as well)

It's a suprisingly good little box considering the price. I got a couple of em from GC as floor demos for about 300 bucks i think. The triggering works fine, although I'd suggest you use the roland triggers, they seem to be pretty much plug and play.

Next step up if you want to spend some money IMO would be a drumkat and laptop, or anything that you can get your latency LOW AS POSSIBLE.
unfortunately, i haven't seen it done yet ( not that it hasent been done) with BFD/DKFH in a live setting triggering from acoustic drums.

if you wanna go old school... a DDrum 3 is a kik ass way to go... or REALLY old school with SUPER LIGHTENING FAST TRIGGER... a Forat F16 ( sigh) beautiful machine, although a dino now....

hit me on PM if you want some help- i've geeked for years on this stuff and have some tour testted opinions of this stuff.... I've got a couple of SICK ram cards with custom library on it if you need that as well.
cz

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

What he said :-) Spd-s is the cheapest way I can think of. You could also use a cheap trigger interface (Alesis DM4, D4, Roland) with an sp-202, 303, 404, etc. but no multi-layer switching that I know of.
The Roland V-kits do not allow you to load your own samples. The Yamaha DTXtreme IIs does. The Alesis DM-Pro does. Alesis is releasing a trigger interface called the Trigger I/O for about $150 that you can use to trigger an external sampler, laptop, or whatever. It has built in USB. They're also releasing an 8 pad surface drum pad controller called the ControlPad that's inexpensive as well. If you're at NAMM, come by the Alesis booth and I'll show it to ya. Both of these are on their website. I'm doing the demos for all the Alesis e-drum products at their booth every day all day. Come party!
http://www.mckaygarner.com
5th January 2007
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to Tibbon
Get an Alesis DM-5 Pro, or I guess Roland has a trigger->Midi convertor on the market that's pretty cheap too. Put triggers on your drums (or get small pads, whatever).

If you want to change your sounds (since the DM-5 sounds suck IMHO, and would be boring as hell), get an Akai S-6000. They are cheap now, sound amazing, have multiple outputs, and have a remote that you could mount on a stand near your drums. Kick ass!

While the effects board on the S-6000 normally sucks, if you're just using it live, the effects board wouldn't be a poor idea either.

Right now i've got my Machinedrum running duty as a drum machine/sampler, and it has trigger inputs (2) as well, that i'll probably be exploiting soon. Not the best triggering unit, but fun.
5th January 2007
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to cajonezzz Send a message via MSN to cajonezzz Send a message via Skype™ to cajonezzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
If you want to change your sounds (since the DM-5 sounds suck IMHO, and would be boring as hell), get an Akai S-6000. They are cheap now, sound amazing, have multiple outputs, and have a remote that you could mount on a stand near your drums. Kick ass!
Yep- that would be a kik ass set up! triggering is pretty good from the Dm5 to an akai too...

hmmmmm ( scratching chin)

how much are they going for now?
5th January 2007
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

I sold my S-5000 with the USB option, and 256MB of memory (along with a DVD of samples that i've complied over the years, but never featured much on stuff) for around $400 i think. I've seen them go for a little more, or a little less. I'd rather have the S-6000, because of the I/O and the remote at this point. I hated sitting in front of my rack twiddling it, and interfacing with Ak.Sys's remote function was just silly (clicking on virtual buttons made it feel like a softsynth interface with a poor UI).

That was nearly a year ago, should be able to find one for around that. If you upgrade the O/S to the last version (which still didn't make the freaking Undo button do anything, screw you Akai!), it's stable as hell (unlike version 1.0). Much better than a laptop, and truthfully, cooler looking too.

You can set them to autoload from a SCSI drive, so that as soon as it boots up, then it loads your files and you're ready to play. You can also do some other really cool stuff with them. They of course have filtering built in, etc..
24th April 2008
Old 24th April 2008
Gear maniac

When recording live I use the ddrum XLR triggers. I usually just record the clicks from the triggers on seperate tracks. Then in the studio we can pick and choose the samples. I have a D-4 and was considering getting the D-5 or DM-pro. I have been told by some that the D-4 is better. Is this true??
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com
26th April 2008
Old 26th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had an old S900 which did it all, except the sound was 12 bit
12-bit or not.. the S900/950/MPC60/SP12/SP1200 are still the cat's meow for hard hitting drums. I listen back to old tracks I did when I had my 950 - those things just killed.
23rd July 2009
Old 23rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
12-bit or not.. the S900/950/MPC60/SP12/SP1200 are still the cat's meow for hard hitting drums. I listen back to old tracks I did when I had my 950 - those things just killed.
How much is a s900 worth?
I found a s900, s2000 and s3000 for sell, wonder whih one is the best.

I'm looking for a hardware box that you can load your own samples into it (lots of them if possible) and that has one or more trigger inputs, something that isn't expansive as well, rackmount would be nice.

Does such a thing exist?
23rd July 2009
Old 23rd July 2009
Lives for gear

The S5000/6000 has the best interface by far for sampling with an Akai and you can drag and drop samples over USB from your computer. The super early Akai samplers are fun, but in a live setting no one will know the difference. I'd rather have something with a decent interface than some weird magic mojo from old converters.
12th October 2011
Old 12th October 2011
Gear interested

triggering "one off" samples via drumKAT & Logic vs. SPDs SPDs

I have an SPDs that I use to fire "one off" samples live.. most are short enough that the bpm is not a factor... but here's the question. I need a back-up in case the SPDs flips out. A new one is about $500... I also desperately need a new computer. I own a drumKAT and MOTU usb midi interface and run logic on my dying laptop... so, how (if at all) do I trigger samples from my KAT via logic? Mainstage 2? I'd rather put the $ towards a new laptop and keep the SPDs as a back-up for my KAT rig...

thoughts??
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011

Send a message via Skype™ to toolskid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blor007 View Post
Hi,

Is there any way to trigger your prerecorded (and editted) samples?
Like some sort of drumagog program , only able to operate standalone with 0 (small) latency.

I'm thinking of :
A: An electric drum module where you can alter the sounds via usb?!
B: A way to replace the samples inside the electric drum module?!

Any ideas?
I do this live with the Yamaha DTX 900 or DTX 700 brains

The 700 has flash memory - they have been 100% stable and sound great!

the wise man can pick up a grain of sand and envision the whole universe. The fool, however,
will just lie down on some seaweed and roll around until he's completely draped in it. Then he'll
stand up and go "Hey, I'm vine man"
27th November 2011
Old 27th November 2011
Gear interested

S5000 to alesis dm5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajonezzz View Post
Yep- that would be a kik ass set up! triggering is pretty good from the Dm5 to an akai too...

hmmmmm ( scratching chin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajonezzz View Post

how much are they going for now?

Hi,

I have an Akai S5000, and want to use it to trigger samples in a live situation like you have described here!

I'm looking into getting an Alesis DM5 to plug some acoustic triggers and pads into (Roland PD8s probably), but can anybody advise me on how I would go about hooking up the Akai and the Alesis so that the Alesis is triggering the pre-recorded samples from the Akai?

Is this a Midi connection?! Or will I be needing another separate bit of kit like the Alesis trigger iO... ?!?

Thanks for any help, I've always been an acoustic drummer, but am dabbling in the world of electronic drums... or trying to.

Thanks
27th November 2011
Old 27th November 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christlofer View Post
I have an Akai S5000, and want to use it to trigger samples in a live situation like you have described here!
Akai used to make a trigger interface for their S samplers which went directly into a slot in the back of the unit, so no MIDI was involved. From my experience, a bit faster and easier to control than many trigger to MIDI devices.

I don't know if you could find one for sale separately any more, but certainly you could MIDI out from the DM5.
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Akai used to make a trigger interface for their S samplers which went directly into a slot in the back of the unit, so no MIDI was involved. From my experience, a bit faster and easier to control than many trigger to MIDI devices.

I don't know if you could find one for sale separately any more, but certainly you could MIDI out from the DM5.

Thanks!

I can only find one trigger board, but it's for the wrong model and it's way more expensive... I'll keep an eye out for them in the future though.
25th September 2013
Old 25th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid View Post
I do this live with the Yamaha DTX 900 or DTX 700 brains

The 700 has flash memory - they have been 100% stable and sound great!
Hello toolskid,

only a question.

Has the 700 Drum Module and the 900 Drum Module the same dynamic,
by playing with the Yamaha Pads?

I'm only interessting in the trigger dynamic, not the internal sounds.

Thanks in advance!

R.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search