best way to get people to listen to your music
New Reply
Subscribe
n8tron
21st November 2007
Old 21st November 2007
Lives for gear

best way to get people to listen to your music

There are a bunch of different models, but I'm wondering as an independent artist who just self released an EP, how to get people to listen and hopefully purchase my music.

I have on my website 30 sec samples and you can buy the full tracks right there. (with the nimbit OMT) The problem is that I dont' think many people, myself included, will develop an opinion strong enough to purchase the songs from just 30 second samples from an artist they have never heard of before. I don't like the idea of streaming low quality full tracks because who wants their first impression to be poor quality to the listener. Or I could give away 1 track in hopes that it will stay on their ipod for awhile and they will hopefully like it and buy the rest.

I'd love to get opinions about what all of you think from a consumer and professional standpoint.
24th November 2007
Old 24th November 2007
Peter Wells, SVP Operations, Customer Advocate - Tunecore

This comes down to tolerances, n8tron. Some folks can't stand giving away thier music--some can't stand selling it. I think it's safe to say most folks like to give away a track or two, the same way you might give someone a few chocolates to entice them to buy the whole Assortment Pack. Especially if you're trying to build a fan base, I'd at least start there.

--Peter
peter@tunecore.com
24th November 2007
Old 24th November 2007
Gear addict

I like the idea of giving away 128k mp3s. With the opportunity for people to buy higher-res ones or CDs.

This way, people have it. They'll trade it, whatever they want...maybe a friend will buy it. But if noone hears it, noone will buy it...this is for sure.
24th November 2007
Old 24th November 2007
Gear interested

that is a tough call,i`m facing that myself.....at least u already have a site,i don`t even have one although i have a ton of tracks.....
i thought about taxi until some people told me about pumpaudio.com,they sound more atractive than taxi.......check`em out......
i think it all come to exposure,...the more the better....and of course the hype that people are building about you and what you have....isn`t that with everything that sells in the world????
that`s what some wise music people tell me....
24th November 2007
Old 24th November 2007
Lives for gear

I like the idea of making silly or lo-fi videos for several of the songs. That way you can stream the full song or give away the video but still give people the option to buy the single.

The other way to get people to listen and buy your songs is to preview the album in a radio or TV commercial on a local or national level... of course that costs real money.
25th November 2007
Old 25th November 2007
Founder, CEO, President - Tunecore

here are some ideas on how to get people to discover and/or listen to your music

1) Create iMixes within iTunes http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...edPlayListHelp

Music fans and buyers use iTunes as a music discovery tool. iMixes appear next to albums and artists in the music store. iMixes are a playlist of songs that you've chosen to publish and make available to others in the iTunes store. It can only be made up of songs available in the iTunes store.

Make an iMix with at least 12 songs - make three of those 12 songs yours, make the other nine songs by more popular bands in the same genre as you.

Now, when someone within iTunes goes to the more popular bands page, they see the iMix and will see your band/artist name and have a link to click to listen to the song.

- Give the iMixes interesting names -

You can name your iMix. Give it an interesting name tht catches people's attention. For example "Songs I Like" vs. "Top 12 songs to Bang My Way Through Life"

- Rate the iMix

iMixes can be rated - from one to five stars. Make sure you have your iMix rated at least five times with five stars, iMixes with less than five ratings are not surfaced.

- Create many many many iMixes

the more you make, the more your music surfaces

2) Review your album in iTunes

Alums that are reviewed within iTunes sell 33% more than albums that have no review. Review your own album and get as many other people as possible to review it.

- Make the review thoughtful

Dont just write " this album rocks", write something that would impact you if you read it. "This album reminds me of early Lennon if he was a member of Radiohead. etc etc"

remember, with the iMixes you are now pushing people to your album page.

3) MySpace page - let your songs by available to listen to via stream. I know this does not drive people to your page, but as they begin to discover you, having a page that allows them to hear you is a good idea.

4) Go to Stereogum.com and look at all the blogs it has listed. email each blog with an MP3 attached. If you do not fit the genre of the MP3 blogs listed there, do a Google search for the right type of MP3 Blogs and then email them

5) Put up your multi-track recordings from one song for free download via bit torrent or another service. Let people use your tracks for free re-mixes and within their own songs

6) When you play a gig, take an iPod with you. After the gig, pop in the mic into the iPod and talk to people in the crowd. Make sure to tell them you are going to podcast the conversations. Then turn that recording into a podcast (Hipcast is a good place to go for podcasting).

People LOVE to hear themselves talk. They will push people to the podcast - make sure to put one song from your album on the podcast.

7) It sounds odd, but cover a popular song and put it in iTunes. People love cover songs and will discover you via the cover. This in turn gets them interested in you and wanting to hear more.

- Use the holidays - holiday themed songs around holidays generate a lot of attention. Around X-mas put a X-mas cover into iTunes. It will sell a lot and generate revenue but also help you get discovered and lead people to your other songs. Don't forget about Valentines Day as well.

Jeff Price
TuneCore
TuneCore: Welcome
26th November 2007
Old 26th November 2007
Gear nut

sticky this sh!

those are some great ideas jeff! a couple of them i never would have thought of. ever.

funny that we're on gearslutz...i just made a conscious decision to hold off on purchasing a pair of compressors to fund the release of a record that's been sitting on my hard drive for 2 years.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search