Login / Register

Why cant' I choose My own 30 second preview?
New Reply
Subscribe
gsilbers
16th November 2007
Old 16th November 2007
Lives for gear

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula

Why cant' I choose My own 30 second preview?

its horrible... basically all techno, club or most electronica music just has a kick and snare preview. then for more commercial music most of the time the preview doenst get "that hook" that'll sell the song. i know it gives you the idea of the song but it just doesn't sell it. its like if in a clothing store there was only a sleeve of a shirt so you can judge if you like it or not! or a guy in the street trying to sell you a watch but just giving you a part of the wristband....or like..uh examples will get worst and worst but u get the idea.
this happened with tunecore and snocap. basically both grab the same 30 chunk of the same songs.
Why cant I choose the 30 second preview of my songs that will go up in itunes (or whatevr) ?
16th November 2007
Old 16th November 2007
Founder CD Baby

Unhappy 30 second previews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
why cant I choose the 30 second preview
At CD Baby, we let you choose.

But when delivering to Apple iTunes and the rest, they just ask for the full-length digital master and have in-house stuff that creates the samples. I guess they feel it's "good enough", and not worth the massive customization effort it would take, unfortunately.
16th November 2007
Old 16th November 2007
Peter Wells, SVP Operations, Customer Advocate - Tunecore

It's true: with iTunes and most of the stores, the choice is out of everyones' hands. iTunes hasn't got customization on this.

--Peter
peter@tunecore.com
16th November 2007
Old 16th November 2007
Lives for gear

I always thought that the Bleep store handled previews in a really slick way. You can listen to 30 seconds and then it fades out and stops but you can hit play again to hear the next 30 seconds. You can even seek around and hear different parts of the track.
gsilbers
17th November 2007
Old 17th November 2007
Lives for gear

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTuneCore View Post
It's true: with iTunes and most of the stores, the choice is out of everyones' hands. iTunes hasn't got customization on this.

--Peter
peter@tunecore.com
bummer...
17th November 2007
Old 17th November 2007
Gear Head

From my knowledge the Apple iTunes Producer has an option for the preview start in seconds ie. it´s defaulted to 30 secs which probably works well for pop-songs but not for 7 minutes long club tunes.

For clarificaiton the iTunes Producer is the program which you use for feeding your content to the iTunes store.

We are a small sized electronic house/techno label and work directly with iTunes and most of the underground stores like Beatport etc.

best,
klas
17th November 2007
Old 17th November 2007
Lives for gear

+1 on the rant.

It's incredible that iTunes has this dictate.

Think about the film industry. What kind of effort goes into their previews, i.e. Trailers? Tons.

So let's say you're an unknown artist, with the greatest hit song ever written in the history of the known universe. Ambitious, yes, but let's think big here.

On your song, seconds 31-60 are the end of a long thematic intro into the first verse, which is a 1 and a half length verse. Too bad for you that starting at 61 seconds, you get to the pre-chorus and at 71 seconds land on the hook-of-doom that is the top of your smash-hit chorus.

All it would take is a little applet from Apple that would attach meta-data tags to the header of your AAC encode, before you sent it into your digital distributor. A little AAC encoder that had a graphic that is a fixed, 30 second ruler bar that you positioned wherever you wanted on your tune. Audition. Encode. Done.

It would be simple to set up the audition management software at iTunes to window that section, simply based on the meta-data tags that would be encoded into the file header.

In fact, since we have a direct arrangement with iTunes, I've just talked myself into making this a mini-crusade. It really is a good idea, even if I do say so myself, and just thought of it while reading this thread.
27th November 2007
Old 27th November 2007
csl
Gear addict

Yep, this is a pretty infuriating issue. We need to be able to hear the whole track if we're to help steer people away from illegal downloads.

Yep, Bleep knows how to sell mp3s (and even FLACs) the right way.
27th November 2007
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

iTunes does not dictate this.

Apple allows you to select at what second in the song the 30 seconds starts. It's actually very simple.

I'm sure there's a good reason why aggregators don't offer this but it's certainly not because Apple don't allow it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search