Chilton QM1 refurbishment - the diary
Mo Facta
14th June 2013
Old 14th June 2013
Gear addict

Chilton QM1 refurbishment - the diary

Hi guys and gals,

So I bought a QM1 console (for $110) but it needs a lot of work. Here's what she looked like when I got her:

All in all these are the issues:

-Main fader panel missing - a new panel can be laser cut and fitted with either new P&G or Alps faders
-One 6 ch line pre-amp card is missing - it can easily be replicated from the existing one or a new type can be fitted
-PPM meter driver cards are missing - can be DIY-ed without too much hassle
-C25 compressor/limiter cards are missing - but these can be DIY replaced with a variety of options if one wishes to do so
-Channel VU meters never fitted. This was a factory option. The openings can either be covered with a strip of alu plate or you can DIY VU or PPM LED meter units and fit them to your liking

So far I've gotten the master fader panel made and bought new faders (Alps K-Series Carbon faders). They are currently getting installed by my tech. He is also replicating the missing 6 ch line driver card, which will get the console into working order. Here are some more pics of the current progress:

After the master fader panel was put in place:

I also changed all the large fader caps to 11mm ones for a more modern look. I prefer them a lot more.

Anyway, still lots to do but I'll keep ya'll posted.

Cheers
Mo Facta
14th June 2013
Old 14th June 2013
Gear addict

Here are some more pics of the line driver card and the internals of the console.
Attached Thumbnails
Chilton QM1 refurbishment - the diary-img_1548.jpg   Chilton QM1 refurbishment - the diary-img_1549.jpg   Chilton QM1 refurbishment - the diary-img_1551.jpg   Chilton QM1 refurbishment - the diary-img_1552.jpg   Chilton QM1 refurbishment - the diary-img_1553.jpg  

Mo Facta
20th June 2013
Old 20th June 2013
Gear addict

So a kind member on here by the name of Nicolas was benevolent enough to help me by taking pictures of his C25 compressor cards so that I can get the reproduced.

Thanks dude, you really helped me out!

The console is currently at my tech, who has already fabricated the line driver and is working on installing the master section faders.

It also turned out that all the channels were in good working order so they don't need attention for now. Once the line driver cards are installed and the faders are in, the console will be in working order, albeit without working compressors or meters.

From there I'll have to see what to tackle first, most likely the PPM meter cards. I will have to either order them from the UK or get them fabricated here, which ever is cheaper.

The saga continues...

Cheers
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search