Thinking of SSD drive - need advice
New Reply
Subscribe
crystalline
6th October 2013
Old 6th October 2013
Gear interested

Thinking of SSD drive - need advice

Hi all, this is my first post. I have read many posts on here about the question I have and can't quite find the right answer to my issue, so here goes:

I am currently running Win7 Home Premium with Cubase 7 Elements, and am finding the whole experience very CPU slow. There are many clicks and pops and drop-outs and it is frustrating when recording or playing back.
I have tried freezing tracks; I have tried upping the samples to up over 1000, I have tried some of the tips and tricks in the preferences section, i.e. Audio Boost etc.

Cubase will sometimes freeze and crash. Many times I have had to CTRL-ALT-DEL and close it down manually. Basically, it is my computer specs that are causing the issue, I know, but I don't know enough about computers to know whether I need more RAM, a better CPU, or perhaps even some SSD drives.

So! My computer specs are:

Processor - Intel Quad Core Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
MOBO - Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (DDR2 1366+)
RAM - 8GB (2X4)
Win7 Home Premium 64bit
HDD - 2 x WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1 ATA Device 931.51GB (as shown in Disk Management, 1 of these houses Win7 and DAW etc, the other is storage)
GPU - Nvidia GeForce 9800GT.

I bought this from a guy on Gumtree as I believed a Quad Core machine could handle everything I would throw at it...how wrong I was!

So...questions are:

1) Should I overclock, and what is recommended when overclocking, i.e. what site would best educate me on how to do this safely?
2) SSD drives - what brand, size and how many? I don't have unlimited amounts of money, so am thinking a small SSD for the OS and maybe a larger one for programmes, and then keep my existing HDD's for storage?
3) Are all my other components basically ok or is some upgrading required?
4) is there any information I have missed that someone needs to be able to answer my query?

Thanks guys...any and all help is appreciated!

Kirk.
6th October 2013
Old 6th October 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

There are people here that understand more than I from the technical side, so hopefully they will give some advice as well.

I don't think SSDs will make the clicks and pops go away. It is mainly for faster boot and program load times (if the SSD is the system disk), or will quicker load sample libraries (and there, maybe in VERY extreme cases, might make it easier to stream files from disk but I think it is negligible unless you are Hans Zimmer). So I would look at SSD as a "luxury" item once everything else plays nicely. Edit: same with overclocking - I would only overclock once your system runs well and not before you will otherwise never find out what the culprit is.

You did not say what audio drivers/interface you are using. That would be a first port of call. I think your PC should be able to cope with music production generally.
6th October 2013
Old 6th October 2013
Gear nut

Hi Crystalline,

Not sure if this will help. I had a similar problem once and the way i fixed it was to disable the audio drivers for the video card. I too have an Nvidea G-Force. The driver was clashing with my audio interfaces driver, especially when i changed sample rates.

To do this go to control panel - system - device manager - sound, video and game controllers and see if there is an Nvidea sound driver. If there is, disable it.

I hope this works,

Good Luck,

BB
crystalline
6th October 2013
Old 6th October 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for replies so far guys...

Beano Bean, I have checked and there is no Nvidia sound driver, however there were some old drivers for a HDTV card that I am not using, so I have disabled them just in case. Thanks for your input.

Schmuck, thanks for asking about the interface etc. I am using an entry level Steinberg CI1 USB Interface. Because it is made by Steinberg I was under the impression that this would be an ideal option to run with Cubase?
crystalline
6th October 2013
Old 6th October 2013
Gear interested

After disabling the HDTV card drivers I have reopened Cubase 7 and checked the VST Performance metering. Prior to today it was running at near peak even when the loaded project was not playing. Now I have it at just over 50% average load.

I'm not saying that this was the definitive answer to my problem, but it may be a step in the right direction!

Thanks again guys for your input...I will wait now and see how it performs over the coming week and come back here to post an update.

Cheers again!
7th October 2013
Old 7th October 2013
Lives for gear

took me 3 hrs to nuke an ssd drive using it for DAW.

diable services. and make sure you have 4GB or more

search posts on Gearslutz to find the list of services to disable.

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search