Steinberg does it again, bad
New Reply
Subscribe
apartment dog
2nd October 2013
Old 2nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Steinberg does it again, bad

Just got an email from Steinberg saying that I can upgrade to Cubase 7 for 199 euro until october 15th, after that the price goes up 50 euro.
This is the third time I feel screwed by Steinberg in the recent years.
All in all the update is 100 euro more expensive than Cubase 4 to Cubase 6 was.
After being a customer for 15 years I switched to Reaper cause I don't like ugly stuff like this.
Cubase 6 is sold.
2nd October 2013
Old 2nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Good job
3rd October 2013
Old 3rd October 2013
Gear nut

I think it means that 7.5 is coming soon and that it is going to be a paid upgrade.
Now this isn't necessarily unreasonable. What Steinberg added in 6.5 was worth the upgrade prize, if you ask me. And clever by Steinberg, to make sure that they receive money every year instead of every second year.
If Cubase 7.5 will contain VCA like Pro Tools HD, then 50 bucks isn't a lot of money.

Sendt fra min GT-I9100 med Tapatalk
apartment dog
3rd October 2013
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrasFL View Post
And clever by Steinberg, to make sure that they receive money every year instead of every second year.

Maybe they earn more revenue this way than the customers they loose, maybe you can call that smart in a way.
I prefer a company to be loyal towards loyal customers.
3rd October 2013
Old 3rd October 2013
Gear nut

I can't see that charging for a x.5 equals not being loyal to your users. This is a business model. Nothing more.
I'm still on 6.5. It's brilliant. But I do acknowledge that when I upgrade, I'm going to pay for it.
I think DAWs are cheap today so are computers. And I'm not rich.

apartment dog
3rd October 2013
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't see that charging for a x.5 equals not being loyal to your users. This is a business model. Nothing more.
I'm still on 6.5. It's brilliant. But I do acknowledge that when I upgrade, I'm going to pay for it.
I think DAWs are cheap today so are computers. And I'm not rich.

I don't mind paying for software updates.
But why are Cubase updates more expensive than before, updates cost 40% more now than 2 years ago.
What choice do you have?
3rd October 2013
Old 3rd October 2013
Gear nut

You got a point there.
Why is that?

3rd October 2013
Old 3rd October 2013
Gear maniac

Gotta be honest... the upgrade prices seem perfectly reasonable to me considering Cubase is the centre piece of my studio. I'd go as far as to call it a bargain but that's just me. Steinberg have been quite reasonable in giving notice of the price rise so if you want the v7 upgrade then buy it before October 16th and if you don't want it then don't buy it! As always there were various issues/bugs in the 7.0 version but now with 7.06 I'm loving it.
3rd October 2013
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

You can't read anything into the numbering. I mean, OSX has paid upgrsdes for every x.1, right? Just judge if on what you get for your money. For me each of the last few updates have been well worth the price of admission. For you? Well... only you can say.

Sent from my GT-I9300
apartment dog
3rd October 2013
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedup View Post
You can't read anything into the numbering. I mean, OSX has paid upgrsdes for every x.1, right? Just judge if on what you get for your money. For me each of the last few updates have been well worth the price of admission. For you? Well... only you can say.

Sent from my GT-I9300
O.K. that sounds fair.
For me the updates are not worth the price.

But Steinberg's changing pricing plays a big part in that, for me.
I expect a company to be reliant in that area.
I use Cubase elements now to keep acces to 15 years of projects.

I ventilated this a couple of times now.
Don't wanna become 'mister whine about Steinberg'.
Time to move on.
4th October 2013
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

upgrades are still cheaper than PT.
4th October 2013
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apartment dog View Post
O.K. that sounds fair.
For me the updates are not worth the price.

But Steinberg's changing pricing plays a big part in that, for me.
I expect a company to be reliant in that area.
I use Cubase elements now to keep acces to 15 years of projects.

I ventilated this a couple of times now.
Don't wanna become 'mister whine about Steinberg'.
Time to move on.
I don't understand the problem. You use Cubase elements to get access to 1.5 decade old projects and don't think the upgrade is worth the price. That's not a problem really, is it?

At least they advertise upcoming price increases. That's a good thing I think.
apartment dog
4th October 2013
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I don't understand the problem. You use Cubase elements to get access to 1.5 decade old projects and don't think the upgrade is worth the price. That's not a problem really, is it?

At least they advertise upcoming price increases. That's a good thing I think.
I payed for those 15 years acces, without that I would not be able to use the first projects I made in Cubase.
I didn't say I have a problem. For my major DAW I left Steinberg. I will buy elements once in every 10 years. Everybody happy.
Don't think I will be the only one if Steinberg goes on like this. That's my feeling.
4th October 2013
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

I don't see the problem. If Steinberg didn't charge for developing their software then it wouldn't be developed. Folks have had plenty of time to upgrade since 7 came along...
4th October 2013
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I payed for those 15 years acces, without that I would not be able to use the first projects I made in Cubase.
Why would you need to pay for an update to access something done on an older version? I can access whatever I did 15 years ago by using the software I used back then. It doesn't magically disappear.

Quote:
I didn't say I have a problem. For my major DAW I left Steinberg. I will buy elements once in every 10 years. Everybody happy.
Don't think I will be the only one if Steinberg goes on like this. That's my feeling.
Not that inflation has been 25% necessarily, but prices go up. Prices go up, workers need higher wages, company increases prices to cover higher wages, etc.

You could look at this as them trying to screw you, or you could look at this as them giving you a lower price for about a year or whatever, before forewarning you that the prices would go up. I see nothing unreasonable about what they did.
apartment dog
4th October 2013
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why would you need to pay for an update to access something done on an older version? I can access whatever I did 15 years ago by using the software I used back then. It doesn't magically disappear.
Cubase vst24 doesnt work on windows xp or after.
Didn't you ever have to buy a new computer and update software for it?
If I hadnt updated Cubase in the years the oldest projects could not be opened in Cubase 4 or 5 or 6 or 7.
and for the rest, we don't agree, I noticed a change in behaviour in Steinberg since Yamaha took over, I don't like it.
The first stupid thing was when they changed the middle version, the name and the features, and therefore I couldn't update Cubase Studio to Cubase Artist and had to update to Cubase 6 instead.
The reason they gave was that going from C Studio to C artist would be a downgrade........They had invented that themselves. Stupid and annoying.
So I thought; o.k. once I pay 200 euro to go to Cubase 6 I will be in that league and check the update price for that; Cubase 4 to Cubase 6 was 139 euro, so I thought; that's fine by me, wel now it has become 250 euro. That's no inflation in my book.
Plus prices go down in music software, ask Lexicon, ask Waves, ask the newer developers.
4th October 2013
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cubase vst24 doesnt work on windows xp or after.
Didn't you ever have to buy a new computer and update software for it?
If I hadnt updated Cubase in the years the oldest projects could not be opened in Cubase 4 or 5 or 6 or 7.
I understand. But whenever I get a new OS I do so for a reason. And if it's the computer that hosts my DAW I'm doing it also for the new features that updates of the DAW provides me with. So to me new OS = newer version of DAW, because I'm going to use those features. Otherwise I could have just kept my old OS and computer for my old projects, just like you could have. If you're not going to use your old projects in a new DAW with the new features then you could have kept your old computer.

Quote:
and for the rest, we don't agree, I noticed a change in behaviour in Steinberg since Yamaha took over, I don't like it.
The first stupid thing was when they changed the middle version, the name and the features, and therefore I couldn't update Cubase Studio to Cubase Artist and had to update to Cubase 6 instead.
The reason they gave was that going from C Studio to C artist would be a downgrade........They had invented that themselves. Stupid an annoying.
So I thought; o.k. once I pay 200 euro to go to Cubase 6 I will be in that league and check the update price for that; Cubase 4 to Cubase 6 was 139 euro, so I thought; that's fine by me, wel now it has become 250 euro. That's no inflation in my book.
Plus prices go down in music software, ask Lexicon, als Waves, ask the newer developers.
I have no opinion on the issue you have on version names and numbers. I too have issues with Steinberg but upgrade pricing isn't one of them.
apartment dog
4th October 2013
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you're not going to use your old projects in a new DAW with the new features then you could have kept your old computer.
Well, due to an expensive not supported soundcard (Yamaha again) I had to stick for 9 years with my first PC.
In these years I could not use a lot of new software, like softsamplers etc.
So after that, in 2008 I wanted to join the real world again, dropped the card and updated everything, Cubase was not the reason.
But I didn't mind updating Cubase.
I wanted to use more VI's, samples etc.
So you say I could have kept my windows 98 computer with 10 gb disk longer than 9 years and even stick longer with Cubase vst24.
Common.....
5th October 2013
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

Ok. Whatever. I'm guessing you made good use of whatever new features your newly purchased software provided.

We're discussing a 50 euro increase of a software that does amazing things. If you make money off of this DAW then that increased cost is nothing, particularly not if you average it out over many years. 250 every two years to stay up to date is like 2.50 euro per week, assuming you don't take advantage of the limited time offers. How much is a beer? Or a popsicle? Not to mention you hopefully make money off of it as opposed to getting drunk or eating ice-cream.

Perspective is a cool thing.
apartment dog
5th October 2013
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok. Whatever. I'm guessing you made good use of whatever new features your newly purchased software provided.

We're discussing a 50 euro increase of a software that does amazing things. If you make money off of this DAW then that increased cost is nothing, particularly not if you average it out over many years. 250 every two years to stay up to date is like 2.50 euro per week, assuming you don't take advantage of the limited time offers. How much is a beer? Or a popsicle? Not to mention you hopefully make money off of it as opposed to getting drunk or eating ice-cream.

Perspective is a cool thing.
I'm discussing more than 100 euro increase of price for an update.
The update costs almost half of the full price!!!
Perspective is indeed a cool thing.
Full price is 539 euro now at a random webshop.
That's stupid.
5th October 2013
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm discussing more than 100 euro increase of price for an update.
You said 50 in your first post.

Quote:
The update costs almost half of the full price!!!
Perspective is indeed a cool thing.
Full price is 539 euro now at a random webshop.
That's stupid.
It's almost the same with Pro Tools here in the US. Upgrade is about 300 and new it's about 700.

Even with the more expensive Pro Tools it's still only $3 a week over two years. Less than that actually for an app that can make you money (hopefully), as opposed to a $3 beer that tastes like water and makes you no money.
apartment dog
5th October 2013
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
You said 50 in your first post.
Read again.
5th October 2013
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Read again.
ok;

Quote:
Just got an email from Steinberg saying that I can upgrade to Cubase 7 for 199 euro until october 15th, after that the price goes up 50 euro.
5th October 2013
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

dont know what the fuzz is about. if you think you do have to upgrade, you have to pay for the software (= people who work on the software and achieve a living for their families from their work) or you say you dont need the upgraded software and though you dont buy the software.

I dont get it. Cubase is since Cubase Audio for Atari Falcon (for me) the most amazing software ever made on this planet. (maybe this is because I am old, most of my lifetime there was no software, but slowly I get adopted to the idea of software being a real, real, great invention, presumably the most big invention since Gutenbergs book printing ...)

so you have the most amazing software ever made at your fingertipps, and this deliberately, it costs you in worst case $3 per week (guess, what cigarettes cost in germany these days ... double of it per day!), and you dont have to pay for it if you feel you dont need it, and you are whining?

again, I dont get it ...
5th October 2013
Old 5th October 2013
Gear nut

Still apartmentdog has a point.
Earlier you could skip a version of Cubase. And it didn't cost you. Now if you skip x.5 it will cost you.

Steinberg has changed their upgrade policy. Perhaps it has been necessary for them to keep on improving Cubase with this tempo.
I don't know...

5th October 2013
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

I dont get it myself. Cubase is my main DAW. I upgrade it. I dont think about its cost cause its my main DAW that I use. If it were cost prohibitive I would simply switch DAWs
Protools users always upgrade and its always more costly than Steinberg upgrades. OH, and I have Reaper here as well for live recordings
apartment dog
5th October 2013
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok;
read again
6th October 2013
Old 6th October 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
I dont get it myself. Cubase is my main DAW. I upgrade it. I dont think about its cost cause its my main DAW that I use. If it were cost prohibitive I would simply switch DAWs
Protools users always upgrade and its always more costly than Steinberg upgrades. OH, and I have Reaper here as well for live recordings
I´m am not a pro so I do think about cost.
I think that both perspectives are ligitimate.

This is why I like GS. We are sharing different perspectives.
6th October 2013
Old 6th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I´m am not a pro so I do think about cost.
I think that both perspectives are ligitimate.

This is why I like GS. We are sharing different perspectives.
Im not a Pro either. Currently unemployed as well. I will always find the dosh to keep my DAW where I want it. I dont have cable either
6th October 2013
Old 6th October 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Im not a Pro either. Currently unemployed as well. I will always find the dosh to keep my DAW where I want it. I dont have cable either
What do you do for a living when you work?
I've read many of your posts and I always thought you were a pro

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search