New Reply
Subscribe
Animus
21st June 2013
Old 21st June 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Animus
Lane editing in Nuendo 6 broken?

So I tried to edit some vocal takes the other day and it was a frustrating experience. Is it broken or am I missing something?

So I have all track lanes showing all the takes. As usual the bottom lane has the priority. However if I mute that take the one next in line doesn't become active. If I drag it to a bottom lane it activates. However, if I drag that take back up the next lane remains muted. I have to drag it down or move it to get it working again and not to be muted. So pretty much every time I drag a take across lanes it permanently mutes everything else higher up and I have to move those takes to toggle them active. You can imagine if you have cut up the takes on each lane how much of a nightmare that would be. Very annoying, basically unusable. Am I missing something? This behavior is nothing like previous Nuendo versions.
Animus
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

Fixed it somewhat. "treat muted audio as deleted" in preferences. Improved behavior somewhat but lane priority is still messed up, clips on top are muting bottom ones where they overlap.
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

Animus
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

aaah thanks. That makes sense. I wasn't aware of the new comping tool. It will take me a bit to get used to that.
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

The comping tool is amazing. You have to adapt to using it but it's a big improvement.
23rd June 2013
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
The comping tool is amazing. You have to adapt to using it but it's a big improvement.
Absolutely, been using it since it was first introduced into Cubase :D

MC
24th June 2013
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

I still prefer the old lane behavior. I could comp/tune vocal's and make dbl's in no time. I'm hoping I adjust to Cubase 7 eventually. Right now I gave up and am working mostly in 6.5 and sometimes 5 if I know I have intense vocal editing. The horrid mixer in c7 was a deal breaker for me.
24th June 2013
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

Using 6.5 a lot and the comping is heavenly. Did it change in 7?
24th June 2013
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

no, it's the same.

Loving Nuendo 6 and Cubase 7 here.

Not perfect but it's improving almost monthly now with the pace of the updates.

with my MR and UR units I've got zero latency monitoring with DSP and combined with the great editing and VST handling I chuckle to myself when I see my pro tools friends having to use work arounds like Vienna etc to still get inferior workflow/performance :D

MC
theother
28th July 2013
Old 28th July 2013
theother

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Until you record another take after comping for hours, which will wipe all your work clean.

I don't like the new comp tool. Good for temporary checks, but not useful when planning to add new takes later. Also very accident prone by clicking somewhere by mistake and loosing comp info.

Rather stick to the old and trusted scissors and mute...

Have you ever tried to move a lane up or down? For example grab lane 6 and move up to the top. (not the content but the actual lane) by clicking on the left part.
It caused total chaos and wrecked my session. There is no info in manual that such a thing is even possible.
And you end up with lane numbers non sequential. Too many bugs in V7 for my taste (I'm on Cubase = V6 for Nuendo)... Not even beta release ready.
28th July 2013
Old 28th July 2013
Lives for gear

If you record a new take just click on it again and the orig comp comes up. The comp tool selects and then deselects with a 2nd click. The newer lane editing does take a little bit of thought but once you have your process down it's crazy fast. Big improvement over previous version.
If I want to move a take to another open lane, I select the take > cntrl/x > choose open lane > alt/v. Done. With the folders group edit function I'm editing 40-60 traks of strings working off 1 trk. Brilliant!
One thing to look out for, if you are comping a trak with multiple punches thru out, try pre cutting all your sections. This way you won't cover up your previous comps if you click on a section later in the song. ie. trak from beginning to end.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search