New Reply
Subscribe
Roshgadol
15th June 2013
Old 15th June 2013
Gear interested

Slaving cubase sx 7 to LTC generator

Hi guys.
In a few weeks I need to records a 60 channels live concert.
I use rme madiface and record everything directly from a soundcraft vi 6.
There is an Ob which records the show for future broadcast.
After mixing the audio should be synced back to the video.
The OB has an ltc sync generator which generate the sync code to all of the VTRs.
Is there anyway to make the cubase get the time code?? I know some video editing software can get a recorded LTC sound and uses them for timecode. I can feed one of the channels with the LTC sound.
Thanks for any help.
Roshgadol
17th June 2013
Old 17th June 2013
Gear interested

No one??
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

You will need to use an external box that reads timecode and will interface with Cubase. I use the MOTU MTP A/V which will let my computer sync off of timecode.
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Lives for gear

1) if the OB truck is recording the audio locked to TC then just run your system Wild (without TC) for safety ... if the OB truck has a TC issue your system will not be affected.

2) if you are the ONLY audio record then it is a crap shoot as to whether you use the TC or not ... i have done plenty of OB type shows ... you can send your mix to the OB truck as a reference and run your system wild - post can sync using your 2 mix later to sync to your multi-track.

i have also seen nuendo rigs (it happened to me) lose sync and crash when syncing to TC ... and require a restart. think safety all the time ...

from the OB truck would also come Blackburst or Tri-level sync to line up the leading edge of the Video Frame and the TimeCode word ... so beware that taking both of these is the best way, taking TC only is next, running Wild would be preferred as it is not subjected to external issues ...

YES, recording a track of TC is a way to go as well ... i have done this when no other option for Safely Taking TC and Sync ...

i am guessing here a bit as we need more info ...

cheers

john
Roshgadol
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Gear interested

Hay,
thank you for your response.
what will happen If I'll generate the smpte? I can slave all the vtrs.. is that risky? what will happen if my generator crash? will the VTR stop recording?
If I record the time code to one of the audio channels.. can I use it as a TC Later? can the cubase do that?
Thanks

Omer
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search