Who's gone back to C6.5 after trying everything to not lose patience with buggy 7.x
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Who's gone back to C6.5 after trying everything to not lose patience with buggy 7.x

After months of expectation, a payment was made, downloading completed the day after the release. Only every day with C7.x is dilly dallying, reading the forums, watching all my mixes crash at random times, seeing phantom Cubase -01, -02 backups being denied recognition because they're Cubase 1.x(WTF!?!), listening to mixes change volume, enduring varying lengths of random silence during Playback, removing and reinstalling eLicensor, updating Mac OSX and going 64bit, rebooting countless times, removing VSTs, updating VSTs, turning off MIDI input routing connections to eliminate MIDI feedback during editing (why the heck did that start happening?), watching my C7 Performance Meter hover just above 50% all day, consistent hanging on Quit, seeing the only time C7 Quits successfully is when it crashes, reading people saying on their forum replies "All good where I am" where I had a perfect system before C7, I've come to the obvious conclusion.

I just gotta be honest with my feelings here. Forget I said feelings, I got gigs to do and rent to pay.

The **** is seriously ****ed up and a complete rollback to Cubase 6.5 we go!

Thank for trying Steinberg, I really want C7 to work. So much for making Macs the focus. Really!? WT*!!!?!
Old 8th January 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousbass View Post
After months of expectation, a payment was made, downloading completed the day after the release. Only every day with C7.x is dilly dallying, reading the forums, watching all my mixes crash at random times, seeing phantom Cubase -01, -02 backups being denied recognition because they're Cubase 1.x(WTF!?!), listening to mixes change volume, enduring varying lengths of random silence during Playback, removing and reinstalling eLicensor, updating Mac OSX and going 64bit, rebooting countless times, removing VSTs, updating VSTs, turning off MIDI input routing connections to eliminate MIDI feedback during editing (why the heck did that start happening?), watching my C7 Performance Meter hover just above 50% all day, consistent hanging on Quit, seeing the only time C7 Quits successfully is when it crashes, reading people saying on their forum replies "All good where I am" where I had a perfect system before C7, I've come to the obvious conclusion.

I just gotta be honest with my feelings here. Forget I said feelings, I got gigs to do and rent to pay.

The **** is seriously ****ed up and a complete rollback to Cubase 6.5 we go!

Thank for trying Steinberg, I really want C7 to work. So much for making Macs the focus. Really!? WT*!!!?!
well, its about time someone other than logic 9 users felt some pain!
Old 8th January 2013
kdp
Lives for gear

I'm back to 6.5. The new mixer in 7 is just not good for my eyes. I think a 12 year old kid designed this thing after school. Steinberg had good intentions but they should go back to the drawing board.
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

This is where I work: 6.5.4

This is where I play for now: 7.01
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalpress View Post
well, its about time someone other than logic 9 users felt some pain!
I don't follow issues on your product choice at all.
You saying L9 is pretty buggy?
Old 8th January 2013
Quote:
Who said Mac gets the focus then?
Old 8th January 2013

Quote:
I don't follow issues on your product choice at all.
You saying L9 is pretty buggy?
L9 stinks man. crashes way too much and is full of bugs. and the 32 to 64 bridge is just stupid for workflow. i am off logic now, but im still scared by that experience.
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
This is where I work: 6.5.4

This is where I play for now: 7.01
+1

Old 8th January 2013
Gear Head

Sorry you are having so much trouble.

My C7 has been solid since day one. No crashes, very few hiccups of any kind. But then again, I'm on a 64 bit Windows 7 machine...

My, how things have changed!
Old 8th January 2013
Gear maniac

Same situation here,but I went back to logic to do some work,I was pushing myself for along time with cubase on mac and never I was happy(especially with performance),when C 7 came out I thought this is it great,and thought everything will be ok ,but got dissapointed.
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

Guys, C6.5 is great.

Steinberg is still officially calling C7 a pre-release, as in:
Steinberg is happy to announce that the Cubase 7.0.1/Cubase Artist 7.0.1 pre-release update is now available for download. This pre-release update resolves almost 40 issues present in the initial 7.0 version, and also adds some nice improvements.
Me confused???
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, C7 is a damn mess. Steinberg really pooped the bed on that overall so far. I think where they are aiming to go is great, but its quite off target at this point. I have been on Nuendo 5.5 since shortly after the C7 release. If they release N6 like that, I suspect they will take a massive pro market hit, and rightfully so. Here is to hoping they sort it out, and soon....
Old 9th January 2013
Gear maniac

I thought the same when I installed it first, cause it crashed frequently,
then I read somewhere to clear the preferences, there´s a shortcut for this now,
like hold ctrl+alt+shift or something like this and then start cubase.
After I did that, not a single crash, works just as stable as 6.5!

Try it and good luck
submarin
Old 10th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by submarin View Post
I thought the same when I installed it first, cause it crashed frequently,
then I read somewhere to clear the preferences, there´s a shortcut for this now,
like hold ctrl+alt+shift or something like this and then start cubase.
After I did that, not a single crash, works just as stable as 6.5!

Try it and good luck
submarin
are you on PC OR MAC?
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
I'm back to 6.5. The new mixer in 7 is just not good for my eyes. I think a 12 year old kid designed this thing after school. Steinberg had good intentions but they should go back to the drawing board.
The mixer really turns me off.
Old 10th January 2013
Glad I decided to hold off on C7 until the first couple service packs come out.
Old 10th January 2013
Gear maniac

Yeah, to be honest I am not that impressed. The new features are great, but all the bugs and especially graphical glitches on the new mixer (think wasted space, faders re-sizing etc...) arent really acceptable for what we have had to pay.
I paid something like 130 pounds for this when I had only paid for 6.5 about 6 months prior, and 6 not too long before that.
I appreciate that there is a lot of functionality added in a small amount of time, but with 7 they should have had a much lower price for early adopters in my opinion.

Win 7, 12 Gb RAM, 64 and 32 bit cubase.

6.5 was very solid. Only crashes ever were related to unstable plugins or hardware drivers.

Sent from my HTC Desire
Old 10th January 2013
Gear maniac

And about the pre-release famousbass...
I read that to be referring to the 7.0.1 update, not the Cubase 7 product as a whole.

Sent from my HTC Desire
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

installed 2 weeks ago and jumped straight in with current projects. Not had any problems whatsoever , really enjoying the new features.

MC
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Yeah, C7 is a damn mess. Steinberg really pooped the bed on that overall so far. I think where they are aiming to go is great, but its quite off target at this point. I have been on Nuendo 5.5 since shortly after the C7 release. If they release N6 like that, I suspect they will take a massive pro market hit, and rightfully so. Here is to hoping they sort it out, and soon....
I think they expected this mess, and are willing to live with the consequences. Look at what they are doing with C7 compared to the competition. Steinberg has even created sub-forms for the "issues"and they have never done this before.

IMO they feel they have a loyal enough core user base that is just as good as their beta testers. Anyone who uses C7 now is a beta tester.

The new mixer and rack has created numerous bugs, issues, and things simply not thought out very well. Over the next year I'm sure they will fix 80% of these issues. The other 20% will be ignored because they will introduce newer features in Cubase 8 striving to sell more units...and primarily thats what its all about....NOT improving work-flow..thats secondary and only satisfies some of those who upgrade.

I like the concept of the rack. But personally I'm not going to use it much until Steinberg allows 3rd parties to integrate their applications directly into the rack...for example if you own Waves SSL...you open the Cubase rack, and you have an SSL board...NOT Steinberg.

For those who say Cubase works just great...no problems...I'm curious:

How many monitors are you using?
How many mixers are you using 1,2 or 3? Do you keep all 3 open at the same time?
Do you use many key commands? Do you use many key commands for the new rack?
How much time do you use Cubase each day?

And when you say C7 works great, does this mean you are working just as fast in C7 as you were in 6 or 6.5?

My workflow is slower, and my mouse clicking is way up when dinking around with the mixer and rack, and it shouldn't be that way.
Old 11th January 2013
Gear interested

Sorry to hear so many of you experience problems with Qbase7.
For me it seems to be the biggest positive change since Cubase VST (1997). My workflow increased drastically in terms of speed, ease and overview. I just LUV the new mixer! Sure, I needed a few weeks to get used to it, but don't ever wanna go back now...

To answer your questions Greggybud:
- We use 3 sets of monitoring (Focal SM9, Yamaha NS10, grotbox) but to be honest, we don't work with the integrated controlroom, but use our API1608 for controlling monitoring and talkback.
- Since Qbase7 we only use 1 mixer (full screen) and switch from project to mixer (with ctrl-w or F3)
- Yes, we use many keycommands, but not for the new rack (we do use the new rack a lot by the way, but just not with keycommands)
- We use Qbase every day, all day... :-D
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
It still blows my mind how bad the graphic design for the new GUI in C7 is. Features great!, general layout great!, ability to customise great!, actual asphetic look and ability to read text through horrible smudgy colour gradient blocks... oh dear...
Comfort in seeing whats going on screen, easily being able to read insert fx channel names etc, that stuffs important to me.

Still on Cubase 5.5 and sticking with Cubase 5.5 for now. Roll on C8 I guess...
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafQue View Post
To answer your questions Greggybud:
- We use 3 sets of monitoring (Focal SM9, Yamaha NS10, grotbox) but to be honest, we don't work with the integrated controlroom, but use our API1608 for controlling monitoring and talkback.
- Since Qbase7 we only use 1 mixer (full screen) and switch from project to mixer (with ctrl-w or F3)
- Yes, we use many keycommands, but not for the new rack (we do use the new rack a lot by the way, but just not with keycommands)
- We use Qbase every day, all day... :-D
Sorry I meant how many computer displays.

I think the number of displays is becoming more important that ever when discussing Cubase issues. That, or having one very large screen.

And with your brief description I think I can understand why you are not experiencing the issues that I experience, therefore being more happy with C7.

We both are mouse-clicking for for most anything related to the new rack. This alone makes things slower than 6.5 You also continually switch between project and mixer. I don't need to do that.

I use 3 monitors.

1. Left monitor contains mixer 1 on the top half, and mixer 2 on the bottom half.

2. Middle monitor is the project monitor.

3. Right monitor contains mixer 3 on the bottom half and the upper half is saved for processing, VSTI's etc. Monitor 3 is also used for editing drum, midi, and samples.

Having 3 continually open mixers is wonderful. I can categorize them so mixer 1 contains audio tracks on the left side and midi on the right side, mixer 2 contains VST audio only, and mixer 3 contains inputs on the left side, effect tracks, and group tracks in the middle and outputs on the right side.

But here is the problem with the introduction of the rack: Mixer 1, the mixer that is on the upper half of my left monitor, won't open. In order to fully successfully open and close a mixer rack, the mixer has to be on the bottom of the screen. Otherwise, when you open and then close a mixer that isn't on the bottom of the screen, the mixer will re-position itself which is a mess. The only work-around I know of, is to manually take the mouse and drag the bottom part of the top mixer down to the bottom of the screen, then open the rack, do your work, close your rack, then manually drag the bottom part back up to the original position.

Another horrible time-waster:

Even though when you add a track inside a folder, for example an audio folder, in the project window, that track will not show up grouped with the audio tracks in the mixer. Therefore in the mixer you have to open the "set up window lay-out" (unless you keep it open by default which is more wasted real estate) click "channel selector", then click "zones" to move that newly added track to the group track.

It just seems like no one thought these things out very well in a rush to get the update out before Christmas.
Old 12th January 2013
Gear interested

Hi Greggybud,

Yup, we use one large (30") screen for Qbase. I do understand your point, but like you said, we don't have this problem with 1 screen.
We mostly use the channel-view when we are in the process of producing. When we go mixing, we use the full screen mixer for that and don't switch back to the project that often. We had to adjust our workflow to go with the intentions made by the programmers, but now after a few weeks we work faster than before.
Old 13th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalpress View Post
are you on PC OR MAC?
PC
Old 13th January 2013
Gear nut

also's good this end but i do still use 5.5.3 and 6.5
Old 13th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
I think they expected this mess, and are willing to live with the consequences. Look at what they are doing with C7 compared to the competition. Steinberg has even created sub-forms for the "issues"and they have never done this before.

IMO they feel they have a loyal enough core user base that is just as good as their beta testers. Anyone who uses C7 now is a beta tester.

The new mixer and rack has created numerous bugs, issues, and things simply not thought out very well. Over the next year I'm sure they will fix 80% of these issues. The other 20% will be ignored because they will introduce newer features in Cubase 8 striving to sell more units...and primarily thats what its all about....NOT improving work-flow..thats secondary and only satisfies some of those who upgrade.

I like the concept of the rack. But personally I'm not going to use it much until Steinberg allows 3rd parties to integrate their applications directly into the rack...for example if you own Waves SSL...you open the Cubase rack, and you have an SSL board...NOT Steinberg.

For those who say Cubase works just great...no problems...I'm curious:

How many monitors are you using?
How many mixers are you using 1,2 or 3? Do you keep all 3 open at the same time?
Do you use many key commands? Do you use many key commands for the new rack?
How much time do you use Cubase each day?

And when you say C7 works great, does this mean you are working just as fast in C7 as you were in 6 or 6.5?

My workflow is slower, and my mouse clicking is way up when dinking around with the mixer and rack, and it shouldn't be that way.
Good point about clicking...didn't really notice that until now.

Sent from my HTC Desire
Old 15th January 2013
Quote:
Guys, C6.5 is great.

Steinberg is still officially calling C7 a pre-release, as in:
Steinberg is happy to announce that the Cubase 7.0.1/Cubase Artist 7.0.1 pre-release update is now available for download. This pre-release update resolves almost 40 issues present in the initial 7.0 version, and also adds some nice improvements.
Me confused???
They're calling most updates "pre-releases". It was the same with the 6.5.X updates.
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

all in all the 'clicking' is about the same for me, there's more clicking for some things and less for others.

Creating a group for a bunch of channels is less clicks now, so is finding plugins with the fast search function.

MC
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
They're calling most updates "pre-releases". It was the same with the 6.5.X updates.
Well, what does the term "Pre-release" actually mean? Is there some new definition? I'm not from the world of IT. I always thought it was equivalent to Preview or Sneak Peak or somesuch. And, from where I'm sitting with this toy, "Preview" is the best description so far.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search