Cubase 7 upgrade - none of my plug-ins/VSTi's are there
New Reply
Subscribe
JetLag
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear interested

Cubase 7 upgrade - none of my plug-ins/VSTi's are there

I apologize in advance if this is something I should know but darn it I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

I just installed Cubase 7 as an upgrade to 6.5
I assumed that plug-ins/Vsti's would be moved over to the new cubase.
That didn't happen.

I'm really hoping I don't have to re-install all my plug-ins/vsti's again. it'll take me days. That kind of means I'll need to uninstall all my plug-ins and then re-install them in cubase 7? I definitely don't want two instances of all my plug/vsti's on my computer. Can I also uninstall cubase 6?
During the upgrade cubase defaulted the installation into a folder called "Cubase 7". Again, I assumed it would just move my plug-ins over into that folder.
Do I need to un-install cubase 7 and re-install it into the cubase 6.5 folder?
Is this something I should intuitively know? Would I be asking too much to ask cubase to include this kind of information in the installation instructions?

Also, and this is going to sound REALLY silly. If anyone can give me a tip as to how to start a new topic on the steinberg forums. I would be grateful. I've stared at the screen for 20 minutes and can't find a "start new thread" button.

Thanks!

Last edited by JetLag; 18th December 2012 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: additional content
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Go in your plugin management menu....
and do a rescan of your old vst folder...
You'll have to add your ancient path probably....i don't know how you have set set your folders and subfolders....

Maybe a crash or two will occur during scanning...Repeat the operation til you're sure everything has been scanned.
Update plugin info as well...

Cheers.
Corsair hydro series H100

RME Fireface UFX + Fireface 800
Cubase 7.5 (x64) - Live 9 (x64)
Neve 8816 summing mixer - Genelec 1031 A / 1092 A
Subphatty - Tempest - Minibrute
Supernova 2 - JP-8000
Keith McMillen QUNEO - NI Maschine mkI
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

In most cases (I've heard of a few exceptions here), the Cubase 7 won't copy your preferences over from your older version (seems to be an issue with both PC and Mac), but it will still load VST's from the default folders. Of course if you have designated your own folders (or added extra ones), the paths to these will be lost and you will have to manually re-establish them.
JetLag
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensorychaos View Post
Go in your plugin management menu....
and do a rescan of your old vst folder...
You'll have to add your ancient path probably....i don't know how you have set set your folders and subfolders....

Maybe a crash or two will occur during scanning...Repeat the operation til you're sure everything has been scanned.
Update plugin info as well...

Cheers.
Last night, I copied my plug-ins into my cubase 7 plug-ins folder. That worked and I like the idea of keeping my program and plug-ins together but I ultimately want the most stable set up I can have. Do you think your solution would provide that or am I fine the way I am?

Thanks for the help
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

The only negative point I see when copying your old vst folder into cubase 7 vst folder is that depending the plugin which are copied....it can be heavy for the hardrive....My vst folder is the same for cubase 6.5.x and cubase 7....I prefer to have one version of the plugin....
JetLag
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensorychaos View Post
The only negative point I see when copying your old vst folder into cubase 7 vst folder is that depending the plugin which are copied....it can be heavy for the hardrive....My vst folder is the same for cubase 6.5.x and cubase 7....I prefer to have one version of the plugin....
What you're saying totally makes sense. Steinberg tech support gave me the same solution as you did the problem is that it didn't work. Cubase isn't recognizing the plug-ins. When I just moved the folders manually into the cubase 7/vst plugins folder cubase 7 is able to find all the plug ins. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense but I'll post what happens as the situation develops. Thanks for your help!
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

I simply have two paths for vst plugins

64bit: programs/vstplugins/
32bit: programsx86/vstplugins/

Everytime I get a new Cubase I just point it to these folders in the plugin informtions window.
Never had a problem.
JetLag
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaccona View Post

Everytime I get a new Cubase I just point it to these folders in the plugin informtions window.
Never had a problem.
This seems like a very eloquent method. (maybe why I haven't thought of it ) I've always had my plug-ins in my cubase folder. I'm hoping I won't have to uninstall and re-install my plug-ins in order to achieve this but I think I might. I'll start contacting some of my plug-in makers to find out.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaccona View Post

Never had a problem.
I use the same approach (custom VST folders) but I have more folders in order to have more flexibility. For example, I have:

-- jbridged plugins
-- experimental plugins
-- trial plugins

This way when you want to add or remove something you just do it directly in the folders, without even bothering to tell Cubase (when there's something new, it will automatically scan it, when there's something less, it will automatically discard it.)
20th September 2013
Old 20th September 2013
Gear interested

Pin Cubase to Quick Launch in Win 7

I was having the same problem with my old VST plugins not shewing up in Cubase LE.
By accident, I pinned Cubase to the Quck Launch bar in Win 7 Pro. Then, I opened Cubase by accident and all of the old VST plugins were initialized and work fine.

Since WinXP, both Vista, 7, and 8 seem rather finicky about program privileges. Pinning to Quick Launch bar seems to override some of the Admin privileges for the plugins?
Hope this helps :-)
26th September 2013
Old 26th September 2013
Gear interested

UPDATE:
After using the 'Pin To Quick Launch' feature in Windows 7 only SOME of my old VST plugins showed up in Cubase 5 LE which came with Tascam US1800 interface.
This 'Fix?' may not work in other versions of Cubase but it's worth a try?
Windows Compatibility Settings:
Set Cubase to run in Windows Vista (UGH!!!) Compatibility mode.
After doing this ALL of my VST plugins, even H2Os, showed up.
I hope this helps :-)
6th December 2013
Old 6th December 2013
Gear interested

Cubase 7 VST Plugins Don't Load? Use 'Run As Administrator'?

Update to Update:
re Cubase 7, 'Pin to Quick Launch'.
That solution worked for 90% of my Plug Ins.
Sorry!!!
I have been working my butt off to find a solution for this problem for myself and other Cubase 7 users.

I have spent countless hours trying to get Cubase 7 to recognize ALL of my VST Plugins!!!
Some of the Plugins I use are free like Antress Full

I may have finally found 'another' solution?
Steps To Make Cubase 7 Load ALL VST Plugins???:
1. Right Click the Cubase 7 icon (Win 7 64bit; this may apply to Vista. Good luck. Sorry)
2. Select Properties.
3. Select the Compatibilty Tab
4. Place a CHECK MARK in the 'RUN THIS PROGRAM AS AN ADMINISTRATOR', check box.
5. Reopen Cubase 7 and ALL of your Plugins 'SHOULD???' load.

Best regards and good luck!!!

BTW: If you are using Win 7 32bit, you mighy consider a switch to 64bit if at all possible.
You can use way more RAM and it just seems to run better and WAY faster.
I was using Win 7 32 bit because I mistakenly thought that my old VST plugins would only run on 32 bit OS.
WRONG!!!!
You can download use retail packaged original Win7 install disks or download an ISO file of Win7 64.
With your legit Product ID code you just install Win7 64bit and use the same Product ID code as you did for the 32 bit.
After switching to 64 bit, I am upgrading DAW computer with MOBO that supports 32G of DDR3 1600 RAM. New MOBO and 32GB of RAM costs under $500!!!
I'm an old musician on an old musician's budget. I can't afford top dollar systems from MAC, so I have to build my own P 'o C rap :-)

Have a nice day :-)

ALL of my VST Plugins are loading in Cubase 7, now!!!

Last edited by Synthsayer; 6th December 2013 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: typo
13th December 2013
Old 13th December 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Send a message via MSN to soundmagus Send a message via Skype™ to soundmagus
What you should have done for least amount of headaches is this:

open Cubase 7
Goto Devices>Plugin Information
Select the VST 2x Plugin Paths Tab
Add folders as needed

Job done.

Works perfectly and you dont loose any information/redirects etc you may have setup.

Thanks

Mark
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search