Cubase 7 curious & concerned
New Reply
Subscribe
serstickman
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear maniac

Cubase 7 curious & concerned

Used Logic for years. Got S1 & really like it with 2.5 update. Also have given the "industry standard" a shot using Pro Tools 9 & 10 & like it because I truly began to understand mixing (in general) with it. I Write & record my own material (I call it honest rock) & peddle it on the net.

Watched a couple hours worth of Cubase 7 tutorials the other day. This suite looks like a song writer's dream once you figure it all all: where all the itty bitty buttons are & the workflow in general. Still the workflow seems completely different than what I am used to doing. Chord tracks looks like something made specifically for me as I don't read sheet music but can read a chord chart.

I do plan on downloading the demo to check it out but value wisdom amidst the madness that is gearsluts

I'm 51, almost 52. I'm not really keen on learning a new system unless it's really going to be worth it. So if some of you "older" guys would care to help a fellar out & tell me what your opinions are regarding this suite I'd appreciate it.

Rude people still suck & sadly they are not in short supply.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear nut

you'll only moan about c7 so stick with moaning about the other daw's ...... btw way im 50 and have been with steinberg since 88 and watched all the "we can do betters" leave and go to american based logic ....... you make your own mind up because pc or mac us steinberg users are very happy

Last edited by filtafreq; 12th December 2012 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: to short
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to diogo_c
Quote:
Originally Posted by serstickman View Post
Used Logic for years. Got S1 & really like it with 2.5 update. Also have given the "industry standard" a shot using Pro Tools 9 & 10 & like it because I truly began to understand mixing (in general) with it. I Write & record my own material (I call it honest rock) & peddle it on the net.

Watched a couple hours worth of Cubase 7 tutorials the other day. This suite looks like a song writer's dream once you figure it all all: where all the itty bitty buttons are & the workflow in general. Still the workflow seems completely different than what I am used to doing. Chord tracks looks like something made specifically for me as I don't read sheet music but can read a chord chart.

I do plan on downloading the demo to check it out but value wisdom amidst the madness that is gearsluts

I'm 51, almost 52. I'm not really keen on learning a new system unless it's really going to be worth it. So if some of you "older" guys would care to help a fellar out & tell me what your opinions are regarding this suite I'd appreciate it.
I'd say go for it! The chord tool is really amazing for folks like us who are not well versed in sheet music/music theory.

Regarding the workflow: it is not THAT different from what you're used to. All DAWs share some basic principles these days. The biggest difference might be the mixer, which is right now a challenge even for the experienced Cubase users because of the entirely new design.

You can split your work and mix on S1 or PT while doing the writting on Cubase so you can take advantage of the Chord Track and the MIDI tools, which are quite amazing and not so hard to learn.

Although I'm 20 years younger than you, I barely have spare time these days because of my full-time job. So we're basically on the same boat: not really keen on learning a new system. In my situation, the new system to learn is Reaper. I choose Reaper basically because of the need to work with students and friends and for many reasons they can't or won't afford Cubase, but we would like to exchange projects, so Reaper was our choice. It costs 60 dollars, so everyone can afford that!

It has been a steep learning curve after using Cubase for over 10 years, but it will eventually pay off. I guess you'll feel the same way when going for Cubase.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search