Upgrade to Cubase 7 or ProTools 10
New Reply
Subscribe
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear interested

Upgrade to Cubase 7 or ProTools 10

Hi,

I'm currently using C5 and I've been debating upgrading to C7 or jump to Pro Tools. I've been using Cubase since SX3 and I'm proficient in ProTools, but haven't really used it extensively since PT8.

What are your opinions? What would you choose and why? Advantages/Disadvantages?

Thanks!
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34732 View Post
Hi,

I'm currently using C5 and I've been debating upgrading to C7 or jump to Pro Tools. I've been using Cubase since SX3 and I'm proficient in ProTools, but haven't really used it extensively since PT8.

What are your opinions? What would you choose and why? Advantages/Disadvantages?

Thanks!
use both!!!
first update to c7 - when you unhappy update your pt to v10.

i'm using both:
- c6/7 for music productions
- pt10 for commercials and tv/cinema mixdowns
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
Cubase, hands down. Why? Let's start with FAR better native performance (talking PC here, mind you). 64 bit that is stable. Now that Waves and UAD have gone 64 bit, along with other plugins that have been there for a while now we are talking a world of plugin options.

Just some thoughts........
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
Are you a commercial studio? If not no need for Protools unless your transferring projects to other studios. If you are NOT a for profit entity then use whatever you want. IF your clients are DEMANDING Protools then there is your answer.

I would get C7 and then wait on Protools 11 to show up. PT still continues to give CPU errors telling you to increase your buffer size. I had Protools up through Protools 8 here and ditched it because of those constant errors. Protools 10 at a friends has the same issues on a current Mac.

Virtual instruments run like a dog and you cant use many on Protools. MANY users have to buy VE Pro to host their virtual instruments. Regular effects dont eat up that much CPU power.

IF you want input monitoring on more than a stereo pair youll have to get the $1,000 add on kit for Protools to give you that.

C7 is a full 64 bit app which allows you to use all your RAM and runs instruments with no problem

IF your dissatisfied with Cubase then by all means, give Protools 10 a shot. Im doing what I just suggested here BTW.

Cubase and StudioOne do all I need here. Logic and Reaper just hang on my OS Drive

That said, C7 JUST came out the door and will need a few maintenance updates till its good
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear Head

I've been training myself to use pro tools 9 native on pc and although it has some good features like Tab to Transient, it's recording modes & it's Drum editing capabilities I ended up hating it to mix in. Also found it very unstable with the described above. Also started to get weird error messages about defragmenting my hard drive and stopping recording of drums in the process (10+ channels). The hardware support for my faderport and 3rd party controllers dodgy and most of the time doesn't work. Also the backup system if there is one never worked when a crash happened losing all my hard work! Cubase just works! And overall I prefer it quiet a bit more. Also pro tools bundled midi instruments and sampler suck.. And want lots of you money for upgrades etc.. I got mine a few months after it became native just to learn and test out as its industry standard and in under a year after its release expected to pay £250 to upgrade to v10! I don't think so.. Anyway people don't care what I use in my studio so I'll stick to Cubase 6.5 for now.
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear interested

I'm facing the same decision as the O.P. I have been using Pro Tools 8 for four years now and have really enjoyed it. It has been rock solid for me, even running Windows Vista. However, it is no longer being updated and I have outgrown my front-end setup (small Soundcraft mixer into an M-Audio pci interface). After the holidays, I'm upgrading to an Allen & Health ZED 10FX usb mixer and have decided to upgrade my software as well.

Initially, I was only considering PT 10. However, a number of the major DAWs have seen recent upgrades, so I have decided to demo every one I can to see which I prefer. I intend to track and mix a small, test project (Elvis - Burning Love!) to see how each fits my particular needs. I am underway with the first couple (Sonar X2 and Studio One 2.5) and am going to follow through with Digital Performer 8, Reaper 4, Cubase 7 (once available early next year) and then, finally, Pro Tools 10. I'm even going to give FL Studio, Reason and Ableton Live a glance, though I already know that none of those are the DAW for me. I'm old and not nearly cool enough.

I was a Sonar user before Pro Tools so I sort of knew what to expect with X2. I am enjoying some aspects of it, including the interface and integrated channel strips. However, I have been underwhelmed by the MIDI editor and the lack of flexibility with the mixer (can't drag channels to a new location or change their color, unless I'm missing something). I think the interface is too busy, with too many infrequently-used options on the mixer channels.

I only started digging into S1 last night and I have to admit, I am *really* liking it. Clean and efficient and responsive. Very nice, handy shortcuts. I love the on-strips controls for all bundled plug-ins. From the time I double-click the icon, it loads in about 0.0235 seconds. Pro Tools can take upwards of a minute sometimes. Just getting started with this one, but it's made an excellent first impression.

Of all of my options, I am most excited to try Cubase 7. I love the look of the new MixConsole! Of all my gripes with PT (except the lack of Track Freeze), it's the constant opening and closing of plugins and filling up the insert window with plugin buttons that annoys me the most. I'm very stoked to try mixing with the inline strip. I am a programmer by day, and this software has the feel of "clean, uncluttered, new code" to me, unlike the bloat that accompanies many DAWs.

If this thread survives, I'll update it with compares & contrasts of the various DAWs as I test them, in case anyone stands to benefit from my experience.
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm still kinda up in the air going back and forth between decisions from one day to the next.
I guess the best thing is to get my hands on them.

I tend to use Cubase 5 on a pretty regular basis at the moment, but I tend to do a fair amount of dialog editing in ProTools, which I find much easier to edit in.

Keep the input coming!

Thanks!
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear maniac

How is avid's support?
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
How is avid's support?
ha ha ha ha ha ha, and.. ha
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
How is avid's support?
Well... there is a "support group" called DUC.com haha that answers questions occasionally.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to frenzy
Quote:
I tend to use Cubase 5 on a pretty regular basis at the moment, but I tend to do a fair amount of dialog editing in ProTools, which I find much easier to edit in.
Pro Tools certainly has nice editing commands but you should dig deeper into the editing possibilities of Cubase, because you will find many useful functions (except for Snap To Transient which is a great PT function). You should setup your own set of short keys for editing because it can speed up your editing work immensely.

Like you I'm a long time Cubase user and all I can say, you've missed out on a lot of great features not updating to 6, 6.5 and now 7.

There's still a lot of bugs to iron out in C7, but I personally haven't encountered any showstoppers yet. Knock on wood.

Took me a couple of days to adjust to the new mixer, then I opened Cubase 6.5 to export some stems and had a look at the old mixer; thinking, have I been using this for the last ten years?

I do like mixing in Pro Tools HD with VCA faders, importing project data and automation that's easily cut and paste.

But C7 has got some of the PT functions like hiding channels in the mixer, almost as good linking function and such. Steinberg is closing in.

For music production Cubase have been my main choice of weapon for many years. I've tried, but Pro Tools lack too many functions that I need, assigning short keys, offline multichannel mixdowns etcetera.

So here's a vote for C7!

Cheers
Fred

Sound In Sound contributor
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
How is avid's support?
This might be the trump card for me. I just purchased a brand new iMac and Apollo quad core and have them connected via Thunderbolt, so now is the logical time to make a change of DAW. I had used protools 8 & 10 prior with good results, but the support from Avid is non-existent. I even purchased a support package and it was so thoroughly useless and shamefully misrepresented that I would like to dump Avid altogether; I wouldn't think twice if I could find reassurance that Cubase 7 is a solid substitute for PT in terms of it's tracking, editing and mixing capabilities. I am sure someone here will set me straight...
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCYC Toronto View Post
This might be the trump card for me. I just purchased a brand new iMac and Apollo quad core and have them connected via Thunderbolt, so now is the logical time to make a change of DAW. I had used protools 8 & 10 prior with good results, but the support from Avid is non-existent. I even purchased a support package and it was so thoroughly useless and shamefully misrepresented that I would like to dump Avid altogether; I wouldn't think twice if I could find reassurance that Cubase 7 is a solid substitute for PT in terms of it's tracking, editing and mixing capabilities. I am sure someone here will set me straight...
Cubase 7 is the choice,
Pro Tools has really gone downhill ever since Avid took it over. I've been using M Audio products for years as well. they use to have great support but ever since Avid became involved their support is horrible. on the other hand ever since Yamaha became involved with Steinberg they have gotten better and better. plus you cannot beat the network of support for Cubase. when you open Cubase 7 you can access a veritable plethora of user tips and helpful guides to quickly get you up to speed.VST Quick Connect is another feature worth the upgrade. it's ProTool counterpart is a whopping $1200, and doesn't compare.
That's my 10 cents anyways.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

It's been pretty brutal to us M-Audio product users. I doubt there will be new drivers for my interfaces. Fortunately, they are fine as they are. There is evidence of discontinuation of product lines everywhere, but nobody is saying until the vast stock already in the pipeline is sold (in my opinion). You can get a C600 + PTMP9 for $250, for example. Not M-Audio, but Eleven Rack + PT10 for just over $600 on Amazon, and MBox 3 Pro + PT10 for $750. I'm tempted by the deals, but they are likely the end of the line. Avid's direction is unclear. Steinberg under Yamaha seems like it has a plan that includes users like me. I think that the release of PT11 (whenever that is) will clear things up with regard to Avid, but who knows when that will be?
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Head

I’ve never used Pro Tools, only Cubase.

Cubase 7 has a lot of value for what you pay for.

Both are used by Oscar and Grammy winners.
Both are used by the top people in the recording and film industry.
Both produce the highest quality audio.
Both make it very easy to port projects to and from others in the industry.

This is 2013. We have Grammy winners who started their careers by winning talent contests. Multi-Million Dollar directors who cut/chopped/scored their first films in their walk-in closets of their apartments.

The sky is the limit.

The marketing tactic designed to tug at your self-doubts about being taken seriously if you don’t use the so-called industry standard is just that, a marketing tactic.
The retail consumer of your music never heard of Pro Tools, Cubase , etc. They just enjoy music, and they are the ones you have to impress.

At last year’s Grammys, the lead singer for the Foo Fighters stood before the Vocoded, Auto-tuned crowd of celebs and told them how his band just beat them out of a Grammy for best Album of the year by recording it, not in a multimillion dollar studio with the industry standard DAW, but in his Garage with an Analog tape machine. Now that’s impressive.
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Gear maniac

Watch Ghrol's new move and see the board he has,really cool.
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Gear interested

Well Said & True

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerone View Post
I’ve never used Pro Tools, only Cubase.

Cubase 7 has a lot of value for what you pay for.

Both are used by Oscar and Grammy winners.
Both are used by the top people in the recording and film industry.
Both produce the highest quality audio.
Both make it very easy to port projects to and from others in the industry.

This is 2013. We have Grammy winners who started their careers by winning talent contests. Multi-Million Dollar directors who cut/chopped/scored their first films in their walk-in closets of their apartments.

The sky is the limit.

The marketing tactic designed to tug at your self-doubts about being taken seriously if you don’t use the so-called industry standard is just that, a marketing tactic.
The retail consumer of your music never heard of Pro Tools, Cubase , etc. They just enjoy music, and they are the ones you have to impress.

At last year’s Grammys, the lead singer for the Foo Fighters stood before the Vocoded, Auto-tuned crowd of celebs and told them how his band just beat them out of a Grammy for best Album of the year by recording it, not in a multimillion dollar studio with the industry standard DAW, but in his Garage with an Analog tape machine. Now that’s impressive.
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakharandi View Post
thanks.
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Watch Ghrol's new move and see the board he has,really cool.
I'll have to watch it.

thanks
10th March 2013
Old 10th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nott View Post
use both!!!
first update to c7 - when you unhappy update your pt to v10.

i'm using both:
- c6/7 for music productions
- pt10 for commercials and tv/cinema mixdowns
Best advice right there...

TH
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
How is avid's support?
i just wanted to come back to the past and give a lol to this comment
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevisi0nary View Post
i just wanted to come back to the past and give a lol to this comment
I've had nothing but great service from them since the early 90s when anything has gone wrong, or I've had a setup problem. Right down to them actually logging on to my Mac and navigating around looking at how I had things set. Don't see that often.

TH
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search