Just tried VST Connect: impressed!
New Reply
Subscribe
Ivorydom
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear

Just tried VST Connect: impressed!

I just wanted to share with you guys my experience with VST Connect.

I think that it is a neglected feature up to now. I tried it two days ago. Recorded in my studio in UK a performer that was based in another country. He didn't even have to fire up a DAW, he just downloaded the free application, plugged his microphone in and I was able to record perfectly!
What's more I could apply reverb eq and compression for him to monitor.

This is completely revolutionary if you ask me. No other DAW is able to do that and the fact that only the recording engineer has to own Cubase 7 opens the possibility to record virtually everyone in the world who has a stable Internet connection.

Kudos to Steinberg for that! I never thought it would work that well!
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear

in which quality does the app record??
Ivorydom
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear

I recorded at 44.1khz/24bit. I don't recall the app having quality options. I guess the quality is determined by the audio interface settings of the performer/ recording engineer. I can confirm I recorded at this quality however so it works!
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorydom View Post
I recorded at 44.1khz/24bit. I don't recall the app having quality options. I guess the quality is determined by the audio interface settings of the performer/ recording engineer. I can confirm I recorded at this quality however so it works!
thanks!
any dropouts or latency issues?
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to The dman
Cool One of these days I'll fire it up
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Gear nut

oioi time to get the old crew back together even tho we are all over the country ....sounds good to me
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
I recorded at 44.1khz/24bit.
Your recording quality is going to be dictated by your connection but you're not going to get full bandwidth WAV out of it. Maybe 320 kbit/sec on a good connection, much like using ISDN for voiceover work which tops out at MP2/256k.
Ivorydom
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandpony View Post
Your recording quality is going to be dictated by your connection but you're not going to get full bandwidth WAV out of it. Maybe 320 kbit/sec on a good connection, much like using ISDN for voiceover work which tops out at MP2/256k.
Did you find sufficient information about that? From what I understand the whole point is that you get latency while pressing record which is then compensated for the performer so he can play in sync with the playback. Then everything is transfered to you with buffering. So basically both sides have buffering going on but it is not noticeable because it's being compensated. That means the singer might sing a word which will arrive to you 10 seconds later but everything seems to be in sync on both sides.

The only reason to find out is to record at 96khz I guess although this would be overkill. The wav file I recorded does seem like it's full bandwidth though. I cannot fully analyze it right now but frequencies seem intact up to 20khz, which does not suggest mp3 quality (even if it was it would be 320 kbit at least).
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Did you find sufficient information about that?
I read a reply from Fredo on the Cubase forum stating what I answered with and I know that the current best in the business, Source Connect, is not full bandwidth. To the best of my knowledge no one has yet achieved the holy grail of full bandwidth audio in a connection such as this. If Steinberg have achieved it then I would be quite (happily) surprised. John.
Ivorydom
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandpony View Post
I read a reply from Fredo on the Cubase forum stating what I answered with and I know that the current best in the business, Source Connect, is not full bandwidth. To the best of my knowledge no one has yet achieved the holy grail of full bandwidth audio in a connection such as this. If Steinberg have achieved it then I would be quite (happily) surprised. John.
This is interesting. I would be interested to know what's going in about that. The manual for VST Connect does not mention this in detail. That said, the quality of the wav that I recorded does not seem compromised, at least for a 44.1 kHz wav.
I think we will soon find out more info when the dust settles.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

I don't see why monitoring has to be full bandwidth quality so long as the recorded file is (and that can be transferred over asynchronously). Does it work like that?
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear nut

you can set bandwith for both directions with the VST Connect SE in the settings menu.. default setting is 128 kb/s ......
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
I don't see why monitoring has to be full bandwidth quality so long as the recorded file is (and that can be transferred over asynchronously). Does it work like that?
In parallel the performer could record his performance and send the full resolution file later on.
But the beauty of VST connect is, that you have the recording immediately in your Cubase project.
Being based in northern Germany, I had a small test session with a Sax player in.... drum roll... GREECE!
I hit record, she played, there it was. Awesome... endless possibilities...
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
In parallel the performer could record his performance and send the full resolution file later on.
But the beauty of VST connect is, that you have the recording immediately in your Cubase project.
Being based in northern Germany, I had a small test session with a Sax player in.... drum roll... GREECE!
I hit record, she played, there it was. Awesome... endless possibilities...
That's really interesting. My performer was also in Greece! hahaha
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorydom View Post
That's really interesting. My performer was also in Greece! hahaha
Also Greece? Funny indeed.
Btw., she is not based in a mayor or large city but in very small village at the coast. No supermarket and the post has to be picked up in another village miles away. I mean, THAT small. But they have internet und suddenly it doesn't matter where you live to create music together.
Interesting times...
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Couldn't get it to work. Got a "session connection lost" message when client attempted to connect.
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Couldn't get it to work. Got a "session connection lost" message when client attempted to connect.
I've heard that most of the problems are related to routers. In order to be safe, both parties should have modern full-featured high-speed routers. Anything older than a couple of years is likely going to give you trouble.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear interested

Connectionopen.com does a better job and They did it on their own! They are also FREE right now!
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauist15 View Post
Connectionopen.com does a better job and They did it on their own! They are also FREE right now!
What does it mean, a better job? And that they did it on their own?
VST-Connect is directly integrated in Cubase and has proven that it works.
So, what is the advantage, can you be a bit more specific?

Btw., it's free to check their Beta version and if you become a beta-tester for them you will get a discount on the final version. Which is nice but not free.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search