Blurry, Ugly, Noisy, Undefined, :(
Sirocco
7th December 2012
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Blurry, Ugly, Noisy, Undefined, :(

They will fix this right? It's almost completely unusable to me. I work as a senior UI designer and do this type of stuff all day. The new mixer is absolutely atrocious. I can't be alone here...
7th December 2012
Old 7th December 2012
Gear addict

Hey Sirocco, I was about to buy this. What don't you like about it beside the mixer gui? It's sad that steinberg can't even get their own hardware interfaces to work right with c7. Their are some issues with them apparently. Plus some vst issues.
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Gear maniac

you are most definitely not alone. I think the new mixer is absolutely atrocious in every way imaginable to me. Enough so that I am seriously considering not using Cubendo anymore. This coming from a 20 year loyalist.
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

The graphics could certainly do with some work but I'm finding it perfectly useable and am actually quite enjoying working with it on a pair of 23" monitors.(mixconsole fullscreen on one)....not sure how I'd feel about it on a 15" laptop screen though!
17th April 2013
Old 17th April 2013
Gear interested

Just came across this post after having searched Google for "cubase 7 ugly".

Having demoed Cubase 7 for 4-5 days now I think that the term 'ugly' is spot on regarding the UI. The first thing that happens when I open Cubase 7 for the first time and choose recording - vocal and piano is: 3 separate floating windows open in a not-maximized mode (arranger, transport and Halion SE). To me it just looks very uninviting for at creative session, and all my other apps keep being visible in the background. So, I size and resize the windows all the time to try and make it fit my workflow and the screen (22" 1920x1080). Somehow it's just intrusive on my creativity. Compare this to Logic, Studio One, Reaper et al and see what huge difference an integrated, well designed and clean interface makes. The inspector in Logic suddenly seems light years ahead of the one in Cubase which is way too complex graphically (you have to go through endless mouse clicks in order to adjust the different settings). And the new mix console.. While I like the idea of having the entire channel strip visible on each track (including visual feedback for the dynamics and eq), the graphical implementation is just not there yet; it's too complicated to find your way around, and unless you have a super-duper high resolution monitor, you simply have to scroll and click around the interface all the time. Extremely time consuming and it defeats the purpose of having all the goodies visible simultaneously. I was very close to upgrading to Cubase 7, but will definitely stick with Logic Pro 9 for now. If Steinberg, however, do change their way of thinking the GUI sometime in the future, I'll give it another try.
theother
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
theother

I love it. It's the best GUI in 20 years!
Love the mixer. Love everything.

C7 gets such a beating and I don't know why. It's incredibly innovative and improved my workflow.

I also think that the new Yamaha Nuage looks very impressive in terms of functionality and what went into making it very innovative and user friendly. Miles ahead of something like an Icon. I myself am happy with a humble CC121...

Back to C7:
I like the fact that you can operate the whole mixer without a mouse.
I have no problems with blurry fonts. Can read everything crystal clear.

Steinberg had some dark years and some good ones, but this version, the moment it gets really stable (not that I have real problems), could be a masterpiece. I think one can see the strong hand and funding of Yamaha behind there. Things are getting a lot more professional.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

the enhancements have outweighed the still somewhat unfinished GUI of the new mixer.

I've had no problems technically with C7/N6 I think things just need refining,which I'm sure over the C7/N6 lifespan will happen.

MC
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Gear interested

The new mixer is quite different but...

I've really come around on using the new C7 mixer GUI; I really like it. It does look a little cartoonish but the functionality is superb and it's very fast once you get use to it. I use Pro Tools a great deal but also Cubase 7 and I strongly prefer the new Steinberg mixer in C7 and Nuendo to Avid's old dog. Maybe Steinberg could come up with some designer skins -) Has anyone tried the iPad cue mix software? It's a pretty interesting feature.
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

It just requires a few weeks of work....I couldn't live without it now.
I have set my macro's, preferences, colors....
It's a real dream for me.

True that a lot of people do encounter specific problems here and here depending on OS and so on.

I'm on the lucky side. All the functions I need do work perfectly. At least til now
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Gear nut

+1

No problems here.
Love the speed and the modern easy on the eyes look.
This is the future, not an archaic maze looking like an old quasi "Mixer" from the 80s.
It's brave and it's carefully implemented.
Not just playing the catch-up game like some other company....no names mentioned.

True innovation.
On the bleeding edge.

Bravo Steinberg/Yamaha!
Glad you're around.
20th April 2013
Old 20th April 2013
Lives for gear

It's taken some getting used to, and I've had a few wobbles but I've finally started to click with the new mixer in Cubase 7.

The new functionality is in a league of it's own, text search for plugins is soooo fast!

Plus selecting/multi selecting tracks via the track list (used for hide/view tracks and zones) on the left hand side of the Mix Console is also amazing for workflow.

Give SB a few more months of tweaking and C7 will be looking really great.

All in all a fantastic upgrade from C6.
17th May 2013
Old 17th May 2013
Gear maniac

I'm using Nuendo 6 and I think it is really great. There certainly are some issues with readablility but I think they got the message on this and are in the process of fixing it. Overall, my productivity is up.

Dean
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search