Cubase 7 VST loading problems
RobJB06
7th December 2012
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Cubase 7 VST loading problems

Hi chaps,

I upgraded to Cubase 7 yesterday from 6.5.
Im having some problems, whenever i load a new vst instrument i get an error message pop up in cubase:

"A serious problem has occured: Please try to save your project under another name and then restart Cubase7.exe. If this problem persists please contact Steinberg Technical Support with a description of what you do to create this problem, and the created file............."

It doesnt matter which VST, any VST instrument will cause this message.
Im not having any problems using sends or inserts with vst effects they all load ok.

All the vst instruments used to load fine in 6.5
I installed Cubase 7 in 32 bit mode, so shouldnt be an issue there (just the same as it was in 6.5)

Any ideas?
Really annoying at the moment.....
Im sure its something simple.
Thanks
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Gear Head

just a wild shot in the dark - sounds like a vst bridge 64/32 bit issue - I get that same message when using 32 bit plugs in 64bit cubase and the bridge doesn't work

just a guess though - could be anything
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

It's actually a good guess. I've never trusted Steinberg's VST Bridge and actually found evidence that it was responsible for all the issues I had back when I installed version 6. Since then I no longer use it and delegate all the bridging to the much much better JBridge, which has never failed me once.
RobJB06
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for the suggestions, but i should have mentioned i installed Cubase 7 in 32 bit mode, because i didnt want to have any problems.
I have Cubase installed on a Windows 7, 64 bit machine.
Any more thoughts would be great, thanks

I think all my plugins are located in a folder inside Cubase 5.5, when i installed 6.5 all my plugins were missing and i had to rescan to that folder for 6.5 to recognise them, after that it was fine. Could it be that Cubase 7 doesnt like the plugins being in a sub folder inside Cubase 5.5, perhaps i should move them into all into the Cubase 7 VST folder and rescan?

When i go devices> plug-in information> and press "update plug-in information", Cubase closes immediately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Synapse View Post
just a wild shot in the dark - sounds like a vst bridge 64/32 bit issue - I get that same message when using 32 bit plugs in 64bit cubase and the bridge doesn't work

just a guess though - could be anything
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Gear Head

Sounds like there are some problems with an elicenser file problem. Not sure if this applies to what you are experiencing but may be worth a shot.

See pages 8 and 9 on this Steinberg forum www.steinberg.net • View topic - CUBASE 7 - Missing VSTi Content for a possible fix from Steinberg.

I am going to try it today since it seems to have worked for others.
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Gear maniac

cubase 7 accept only VST2.4 minimum
RobJB06
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

Sorry but i have no idea what that means.
I just bought Omnisphere last week, i assume being a new product it would be VST2.4 ready, but it wont load same as all other VST.
Not having any problems with plugin effects, just vsti's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Studio 87 View Post
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Studio 87 View Post
This is not true. There is a chance that some pre 2.4 plugins cause problems but that's it.

Quote:
Could it be that Cubase 7 doesnt like the plugins being in a sub folder inside Cubase 5.5, perhaps i should move them into all into the Cubase 7 VST folder and rescan
It doesn't matter where the plugins are. What you can try is this:

Go to harddrive:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 7

and delete Vst2xPluginsCubase.xml , VstPlugInfoV2.xml, Vst2xBlacklist Cubase.xml

or alternatively you can delete everything. (Or cut and paste it into a backup folder)

Once you loaded Cubase 7 again , you need to show Cubase 7 the plugin folders again.

Maybe this helps.
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
Could it be that Cubase 7 doesnt like the plugins being in a sub folder inside Cubase 5.5, perhaps i should move them into all into the Cubase 7 VST folder and rescan?
I don't think that's the problem. Except for the VST3's (which obviously are unique to Cubase), I keep all of my VST2's in two separate folders shared with Sonar, one for native 64-bit VST's and one for jbridged VST's. If you think that the path to another version of Cubase could confuse Cubase 7 (very unlikely, but you never know...), move all your older VST's into a fresh new folder and change the path in the preferences.

Quote:
When i go devices> plug-in information> and press "update plug-in information", Cubase closes immediately!
I think that's evidence that the culprit is one of your VST's. You should try to identify which one.
RobJB06
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear

I tried your suggestion, removing those files, but it doesnt help.
Now Cubase starts and of course doesnt see any of my third party VSTi's, but when i load a standard inbuit cubase synth like padshop for example, i get the same message as i mentioned in my first post....
So even Cubase own synths are crashing the program......

I have seen other people having the same problem:

KVR: Cubase 7 crashes hard

AND

https://www.steinberg.net/forum/view...?f=175&t=29598

So it isnt only me, but i dont know just how many people are having the same problem, many people are unaffected.
My DAW has always been off the internet and only has music apps installed, so theres no crap on my system.
Cubase 5.5 worked great, zero problems. Installed 6.5 a week or so ago, again fine, zero problems.
Downloaded the Cubase 7 update and have major problems....

Really surprised they release it with such a big problem, i wonder how long before there is a fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
This is not true. There is a chance that some pre 2.4 plugins cause problems but that's it.

It doesn't matter where the plugins are. What you can try is this:

Go to harddrive:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 7

and delete Vst2xPluginsCubase.xml , VstPlugInfoV2.xml, Vst2xBlacklist Cubase.xml

or alternatively you can delete everything. (Or cut and paste it into a backup folder)

Once you loaded Cubase 7 again , you need to show Cubase 7 the plugin folders again.

Maybe this helps.
RobJB06
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear

Oh well, looks like i found the solution somewhere else.

On my hard disk i went to:
\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 7

and deleted defaults.xml

Now VSTi's are loading.....

Hope this helps other people if they have the same problem.
Thanks everyone for offering assistance, got there in the end!
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Gear interested

Thanks...I was really wondering on this one. Your solution work also for me.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search