New Reply
Subscribe
shatrix
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Gear interested

Cubase 7 update - Online vs Box ???

Hi
I have Cubase 4. Im waiting a new pc, so I want Cubase 7 update.
I know the box is a full installation DVD so I can have a clean installation.
What about the online update (209EU) on Steinberg's online store ? Will I be able to do a clean installation there as well ? or I will have to install 4 and then on to Cubase 7 ???
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

Clean install, hmmmm, well I'm downloading the C4/5 > C7 upgrade right now. ETA 5 hours from now.

Basically I'd go with a boxed version, the only reason I got this version is because I lack patience. It's nice to have the software as a hard copy if ever internet is flakey or you need to travel.

It's broken up into three parts. each about 1.8GB. You download either for windows or for MAC (separately) If you're installing on a brand new machine I'm not sure about a clean install. Looks suspect since the full version is only available in a boxed version (possibly due to need of dongle)

http://soundcloud.com/godsons
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

Cubase 7 is pretty much a clean installation, no matter what previous version you have on your computer. In fact it doesn't do anything to older versions and you can actually keep using them after Cubase 7 is installed. Heck, it doesn't even copy preferences, and that was a big disappointment (and, of course, someone told me about a workaround AFTER re-configuring everything... ) I bet it works even if you don't have an older Cubase on your computer, as long as you have a working dongle with a valid license for the version you're upgrading from. For the record, I purchased the download and upgraded from 6.5.4. Who wants to wait for the postman in these days and age?
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal View Post
For the record, I purchased the download and upgraded from 6.5.4. Who wants to wait for the postman in these days and age?
I do, well sort of. I really didn't have a choice coz my wife opted for the boxed product as she needed to gift wrap it and stuff it under a tree so li'l old me can open it and act all surprised and happy on xmas day. Torture!
shatrix
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Gear interested

doesnt make sense

The 4/5 update is 5 gb. The update from 6 / 6.5 is much smaller, which means it isnt the same...it adds files to an existing installation.
who ever did the update - please update the post for what missing. Loops ? Halion content ?
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Heck, it doesn't even copy preferences, and that was a big disappointment (and, of course, someone told me about a workaround AFTER re-configuring everything... )
I updated from C6.5.4 it did use all the preferences in C7. Nothing to set up afterwards.
iLok 1 dongle and a bunch of EW plugins work. The performance seems to be a lot better than any previous version.
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakae View Post
I updated from C6.5.4 it did use all the preferences in C7. Nothing to set up afterwards.
iLok 1 dongle and a bunch of EW plugins work. The performance seems to be a lot better than any previous version.
You're the second person who claims the preferences were copied from 6.5. But I also read 3-4 people who confirmed the preferences were not copied, just as it happened with my system (and they were PC and Mac users.)

Beats me why sometimes the upgrade copies the preferences and sometimes it doesn't. Even more puzzling is that it's happening on PC's and Macs as well.
shatrix
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Gear interested

Anyone updated from 4 ??? I really need to know because its a 100$ difference here.
I dont want to buy the update and see that Im missing content others have...
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Gear nut

go for the boxed version as it looks like most of peoples issues seem to be with a downloaded version , i went with the boxed and ive not had any major bugs so far ,it's all riunning sweet
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to The dman
I'm on a PC and the downloaded version copied all my settings no problem
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Gear interested

Its not what I asked...I do NOT want to update over my Cubase 4.
I want to CLEAN INSTALL Cubase 7 WITH ALL THE ORIGINAL CONTENT.
Is it possible from the download or only from the box ?
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Gear nut

Clean Update

I had to install Win 7, cause I was still running XP...
Installed the C7 Update without any other old Cubase Version on my PC:
About 1,5 GB Filesize, Files that were not included:
Halion Sonic SE Library
The Amp Simulator IRs
and some Stoff for those "Beat-Boys", that I dont use...

I had to reinstall the Missing files from my C6 DVD. Conclusion - old librarys, no new sounds.

For those of you that want to be sure that every single Content is installed, buy the boxed version.

Greets.
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Gear addict

9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Gear nut

always go for the bought boxed version as there is no chance of a possible corrupt download for which i think most of these problems are springing from because WIN 7-64 BIT C7 is rock solid !!!!!!!!!!!!! boxed version !
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtafreq View Post
always go for the bought boxed version as there is no chance of a possible corrupt download for which i think most of these problems are springing from because WIN 7-64 BIT C7 is rock solid !!!!!!!!!!!!! boxed version !
If this were true (corrupt downloads), the internet as we know it would cease to function or would never have worked in the first place.

Sorry, but total nonsense.

Yes, Win 7 64 solid here, but I downloaded it and installed on a new partition (clean install). Waiting for the bits to break or corrupt themselves....
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

I ordered the boxed version from DV247 because it was £15 cheaper than the download. Work that out for me.

The boxed version with a physical box all nicely printed and constructed containing a lovely factory pressed DVD and demo DVD's of other Steinberg products sold by a third party retailer who are adding their profit (however small it may be) cost £15 less ....

.... than downloading the software direct from the software authors themselves.

Go figure modern economics.
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

I purchased the 6>7 upgrade. I downloaded it. I installed it on a fresh copy of OSX 10.8.2. Never had any earlier Cubase install on it. Once it installed, I ran the E-license update and entered the activation code. It converted my e-licenser from Cubase 6 to Cubase 7. That's all the upgrade is...it's to upgrade your license. The Cubase 7 download is a full install. No need for earlier versions of the software. You just need your E-licenser w/ the version you are upgrading from.
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
I purchased the 6>7 upgrade. I downloaded it. I installed it on a fresh copy of OSX 10.8.2. Never had any earlier Cubase install on it. Once it installed, I ran the E-license update and entered the activation code. It converted my e-licenser from Cubase 6 to Cubase 7. That's all the upgrade is...it's to upgrade your license. The Cubase 7 download is a full install. No need for earlier versions of the software. You just need your E-licenser w/ the version you are upgrading from.
The update download misses some additional content for Halion etc.
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
The update download misses some additional content for Halion etc.
Hmmm...maybe that's why Amp Room isn't working right.
Thanks...
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
If this were true (corrupt downloads), the internet as we know it would cease to function or would never have worked in the first place.
Sorry, but total nonsense.
The likelihood of a defective DVD is actually much higher.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
The likelihood of a defective DVD is actually much higher.
...And try guessing how long it would take to replace vice re-downloading it all in 5 minutes.
shatrix
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
Gear interested

Update :
I purchased ONLINE (Cubase 7 update from Cubase 4/5) .
Works like a charm, nothing is missing.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear maniac

From what I understand, even if you go for the box edition, there is a hefty additional online download to be endured, not to mention the necessary downloads of patches to get it up to scratch.
Makes me wonder whether the boxed product is even worth considering. I always used to go for the boxed version, mainly because of the printed manual. Now that that is no longer included, it seems as if I'm paying for a disc of advert demos, a flimsy cardboard box, oh and of course a loader.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear interested

Another consideration in DVD vs. Download:
I am in the United States and I ordered C5 to C7 upgrade boxed DVD on the release date (Dec 5 ?). I still have not received the software.

"After the holidays" was the reply to my query.

It is kind of irritating because I also ordered a new HP computer and my time to return the computer (Win8) should there be problems has evaporated.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search