How do you like cubase 7 so far?
New Reply
Subscribe
sopre
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear addict

How do you like cubase 7 so far?

Was wondering how you like Cubase 7 so far? Worth the upgrade? What features do you like or not like? What make 7 standout from other DAW's right now? I've been reading about it and like some of the features. I'm using studio one at the moment. Thx
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknatronik
love it, mixer pwns
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Gear nut

I am really enjoying mixing more than anything. It feels right to me and linking parameters isn't a hassle. You can easily press alt to adjust a single channel. I am a part of the grace period population so I have no complaints at all so far.
sopre
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Gear addict

Hey Text or alba, what makes it standout in your opinion feature wise compared to some of the other daws you have or have tried. Thanks.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

To me it's a piece of crap as of yet.

The look is awful, too cluttered aswell, the controls in the "channel strip" are a joke and the best thing is it crashes when trying to scan my plugins.

Thanks for nothing, Steinberg, piece of shite.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

I'll eventually calm down, lol.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Gear nut

I'm finding it a bit sluggish here (Mac Pro, 8 core, 4 GB RAM), and also having issues with crashing when loading certain plugins (UBK-1 for instance). The mixer seems nice and I just hid the channel strip, will have to dig into that later.

I like that sends are always visible (if you want them), and the track arrangement/view index on the left is VERY useful for me.

All in all I like the update, but I am not completely sold, as with anything there is a learning curve on a major update like this and I think it will be "normal" in no time!
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Is the performance on OS X improved? 6.5 was terrible in my experience.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
+1

5.5.3 in 32-bit worked much better than 6.5.4 in 64-bit, despite the memory dificit.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopre View Post
Hey Text or alba, what makes it standout in your opinion feature wise compared to some of the other daws you have or have tried. Thanks.
If the past versions of Cubase didn't really appeal to you, I don't think this version would be that much of an improvement. I never really bothered with Pro Tools because it lacks a lot of MIDI features. In comparison to Ableton Live, there isn't a good sampler that is packaged with Cubase but Live lacks necessities such as PDC.

Specifically, Cubase 7 really stepped up the mixer and it's no longer a labyrinth. I haven't really touched VariAudio 2.0 yet. I am really enjoying the A/B feature and it really helps for making decisions while mixing. There's still nothing like Studio One's event effects which I absolutely love so I'll probably be hopping between the two instead of doing a lot of automation. Speaking of automation, I'll need to test whether or not it has improved. In previous versions I had to do all my "cool" automation on a volume track, copy it, and paste it in the desired automation zone. I'll test it after I'm done writing my essays for my classes.

I haven't really done any cool routings but it seems to have improved and I think just about everything in the "channel strip" is capable of an independent sidechain which is convenient for creative gating. The anchoring system (similar to Logic) is pretty nice.

Overall, I would say that you should upgrade if you're dissatisfied with previous version's mixers. Nothing really stands out for me as being revolutionary... But I think this update was necessary.

Also, if you're new to Cubase, I would advise getting a second monitor for the mixer.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
Seems lke it. Finally an option for a 32 buffer size, and it actually works!
www.strandedonaplanet.com
www.facebook.com/strandedonaplanet
www.twitter.com/strandedplanet
http://www.soundcloud.com/strandedonaplanet
Watch our studio bio video here and get to know us a bit - http://youtu.be/3hb_Zi_zry4
See our new video for "The Top Shelf" for GC Pro here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyylfNLrUJ0
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Love it! more today!

It is a little sluggish n opening windows like mixer, but im sure an update will fix these issues.... to me, the mixing seems smoother. I love the look and having my inserts, sends, eq right above each channel!
7th December 2012
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Did anyone die at Steinberg? What's with all the black/dark colors? So far so good, but man, lighten up guys... (I mean literally.)
7th December 2012
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

its too candy for me. i'm on a 30 cinema display and the look is so washy...
this is really bad!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C 6 vs 7 Arrange.jpg (80.5 KB, 3514 views) File Type: jpg C 6 vs 7 Mixer.jpg (113.0 KB, 7140 views)
7th December 2012
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nott View Post
its to candy for me. i'm on a 30 cinema display and the look is so washy...
this is really bad!!!
I got my colors looking close to c6.5 and nothing compares to the new mixer for me....
7th December 2012
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
I got my colors looking close to c6.5 and nothing compares to the new mixer for me....
performance is much better than 6.5!
7th December 2012
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
its too candy for me. i'm on a 30 cinema display and the look is so washy...
this is really bad!!!
wooh I agree. Not as sharp. I think it's just one of those things. You'll get used to it. Cubase mixer has been practically the same for SO long.
7th December 2012
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
performance is much better than 6.5!
This is true!

My last tune was staring to pop while loading plugs, once moved to 7, Not one issue... Must handle asio better or something.
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Gear Head

love it...now that i have resolved my synchrosoft issue everything is rock solid - very happy!

love the mixer - its gorgeous

only thing I still prefer from 6.5 is the way you access, load and remove insert plugins - however this will just take some getting used to

by the way,further to my syncrosoft issue i suddenly realised that the only major technical problems I ever have are with copy protection. The last time I remember pulling my hair out was when I had to update my ilok and it was incompatible with the latest firefox. Or when my software suddenly forgets I am registered and I have to keep entering serial numbers every time I load up. Does this mean that pirates have less technical hassles than those who pay? Or do they put up with buggy copies?
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

Loving the mixer as well. The new linking functions are sweet!
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Gear addict

I basically love the Cubase 7 update. Tons of small improvements that I really like. But no doubt, some things need to be polished.
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal View Post
Did anyone die at Steinberg? What's with all the black/dark colors? So far so good, but man, lighten up guys... (I mean literally.)
I like the dark colors as opposed to plain white(like Audacity or Logic).

I think it has to do with psychology and eye strain. Brighter colors are more strenuous on the eyes. Not only will it lessen the chance of a headache at the end of the day, but it will help your eyes in the long run. I was really happy when I went from Cubase 4 to 6, as it was much darker; I can't wait to try out 7(maybe when 7.5 comes out xD).

The black and dark grey packaging and UI also signifies boldness and professionalism in an industry where there are a lot of competing programs. It gives it a "Professional Producer" feel, as opposed to Ableton, which feels a bit kiddy and old with its light greys and blues.

I have to admit my first impression was the same as yours, but I realized its a subliminal marketing strategy targeted at people who strive for professionalism , boldness, and eyesight when they are in their 80's.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear maniac

What amazes me the most is the improved sound quality. I am working on a song in 6.5 and in 7 it sounded way more 'ready'. Smooth...

I'm very happy with the larger FX send faders - at the other hand I'm in need of an undo function for the mixer because it's far easier now to make an unwanted adjustment with all these large knobs layered very close to each other.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear nut

steinberg rocks with this upgrade , if your a retail boxed installer you find you have nearly no issues and run the most stable .0 released ever ! if you a downloader you have bugs coming out your ears ...eerrmm how does that work , "you ask for it steinberg produces" . you wanted downloaded products so pay the price with interupted corrupted down loads ..FACT ! C7 here is rock solid and has made my work flow so easy .. being able to adjust the eq in 5 different places , pre or post for everthing .....come on guys get real !
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear interested

Is anybody going to Cubase 7 from Logic 9? Thinking about making the jump but was wondering if anyone that did this already had any input.
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggs37 View Post
Is anybody going to Cubase 7 from Logic 9? Thinking about making the jump but was wondering if anyone that did this already had any input.
I am - but I've only had Cubase 7 for 1 day. Have been using Logic 9 and PT 10 (along with S1v2.5 a bit). Looking forward to seeing how C7 is - the OS X performance seems improved from 6.5 (but that was a very low bar). I will say compared to Logic and PT, Steinberg has been upgrading Cubase much more frequently. It is quite full-featured now. And their employees on the forums seem to welcome and encourage feature requests, so I think that will continue. There was an in-depth discussion on various bounce in place flows with one of the developers I believe for example. That's great to see.
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear maniac

Don´t know..
for now I feel like I´ve wasted € 149 for a fullscreen mixer which sonar has since day 1..
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by submarin View Post
Don´t know..
for now I feel like I´ve wasted € 149 for a fullscreen mixer which sonar has since day 1..
Judge 7 with your ears man...
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to chymer
There are several work flow improvements in the C7 mixer and I think they are really great.
I was a bit stunted at first but now I really dig it a lot.
I do wish we could colour the whole channel strip or at lest fader caps for individual audio channels.
It's solid here too and I downloaded it.
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Installed C7 on my W8 laptop and it runs very smooth except for the occasional graphic bug (which they will address in 7.0.1 apparently?)

On the included plugins: I've always disliked the stock plugins. Every newly released version I try to get over my prejudice and try to mix a few songs using only the included plugins (because hey, there are people mixing albums and movies with only the stock C/N plugs, so it must be me).

I've tried mixing a rough of a demo recording yesterday using only the stock plugs and for the love of god, I can't get one decent sound out of the EQ and can't get the compressors to pop the way I want them to... I *know* for a fact that it is me who is the problem but why do I only have to spend 5 minutes with the plugins I know, twist a few knobs and get results which are lightyears ahead of the result I get with the included plugins.

(liking and using the delays, mod and stereo enhancer though. It's the Studio EQ and included compressors which just rub me the wrong way)

Herwig

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search