How do you like cubase 7 so far?
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear maniac

I was totally wrong in my postings about the difference in sound quality between 6.5 & 7.

I have a REDD on the master in the song and in 7 the saturation was set higher...
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

It's a big gluggy and buggy, as all major Cubase versions are.
Loving the channel strip.
To me the sound is exactly the same as previous versions.
The channel strip remodelling is totally the best thing they did in years.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Head

I just updated from 6.5 ... no problems. Sounds the same as 6.5, and so far have not run into any issues. All my preferences transferred fine. Nothing glitchy or sluggish about it.

I'll update if anything changes, but as of now, everything is fine.

Cubase has worked well for me since SX ... very happy with C7.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

I'm absolutely thrilled with C7.

I completely love the new mixer, the level of functionality is amazing.

Text search for plugins - brilliant
Text search for mixer channels - brilliant

The new system link is great, and being able to link plugins so that you move an EQ gain on one plugin and all the others in a linked group move also .... just so useful.

The Chord track and Chord Assistant are great fun and can be inspiring (speaking as a jazz pianist of 30 years)

The new look is also great, did I say I love the new mixer :-)

I was doing MIDI in Logic and audio in Cubase 6 but from now I will be doing everything from start to finished mix in Cubase 7.

I can't bare to open Logic anymore, Logic feels like toy!
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousbass View Post
It's a big gluggy and buggy, as all major DAW versions are.
Fixed That For You
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus909 View Post
Fixed That For You
That's not my quote Marcus909...!
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
I think I really like it...I'm trying a mix out in it...been a while, but I'm adjusting. I have to say, I could use the plugs that come with Cubase and be happy...
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear Head

I have been using logic since 1996, just jumped ship to cubase 7 and can't be more happier daws are tools not a religion and I choose what serves me best.
I love the workflow, it forces you more on writing, tracking then mixing,
the midi features are killer, I am too lazy to learn logics environment,
mixer is world class, love the tube and tape saturation on channels,
effects are very creative and useful, but I miss auto filter
The audio manipulation tools are second to non
Still getting my head around the advanced options
Drum grid, beat designer, yes yes, how did I live without them!

Missing- osx full screen support, retina display support.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
I think I really like it...I'm trying a mix out in it...been a while, but I'm adjusting. I have to say, I could use the plugs that come with Cubase and be happy...
+1

Ha ha

I've spent a small fortune on Powercore and UAD plugins, yet I think I could be happy just mixing with the new channel strip and stock Cubase plugins.

OK I could probably tell the difference (well hopefully) but I hate to admit to myself that I bet my listening public couldn't.

The new channel certainly lends itself to a great workflow.

I'd love to see some dedicated SB hardware, like a mini iCON 8 channel controller just for the new mix console, could be amazing.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear nut

I've messed with C7 for about 2 weeks. Today was the first time I tried to use it to actually work.

The new mixer is ****'n menace.

You can't multi-select and hit 's' to solo for example. You have to multi-select, click link (no keycommand available), popup comes up asking what things you want to link, then when you are done popup asks you if you want to unlink.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hey, visibility and zones sounded good and seemed ok when just messing around. But then ... same thing. Multi-select and try to click or mod key or something ... NOOOOOOO you have to right mouse click and select from a menu the action you want. Again, no keycommands.

There's several more things, like how crappy it looks and how poorly it performs in narrow mode. You don't get nearly as many tracks per mixer horizontally as you used to. You have to completely configure the other mixers each time you call them up. Some actions that you take on mixer 2/3 actually **** up Mixer 1.... I could go on for a bit.

I gave up and went back to 6.5 so I could work.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucks View Post
I'm in need of an undo function for the mixer because it's far easier now to make an unwanted adjustment with all these large knobs layered very close to each other.
+1
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcecil View Post

I gave up and went back to 6.5 so I could work.
Been working with Cubase since 1989... This is the first Cubase upgrade which gives me headaches. It looks horrible and the user interface of the mixer is too complicated. I have a guitar in my hands, I don't want to right-click things...
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Been working with Cubase since 1989... This is the first Cubase upgrade which gives me headaches. It looks horrible and the user interface of the mixer is too complicated. I have a guitar in my hands, I don't want to right-click things...
Huh? Do you mix while tracking?
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can't multi-select and hit 's' to solo for example. You have to multi-select, click link (no keycommand available), popup comes up asking what things you want to link, then when you are done popup asks you if you want to unlink.
The new Q-link button must be one of the most helpful changes to Cubase for me, it's always activated (you can always bypass it by pressing Alt - which is for me more useful than having it disabled and having to press Shift-Alt for a temp Q-Link).

Herwig
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

I use 3 monitors on Windows 7 64 bit with Cubase 7 64 bit.

I think it's becoming more important to state the number of monitors you have because I couldn't imagine doing much with just one.

I have used Cubase since 1998. 5 day a week user.

Anyway, there are LOTS of missing key commands. I am mouse clicking more than when using 6.5. 90% of that has to do with the mixer and rack.

I use 3 mixers. The mixer and rack are horrible if you minimize it trying to squeeze in more tracks. The mixers (unless at the bottom) do not stay in the same place if you open the rack and then close the rack.

There are numerous bugs, as expected with a X.0 version and we are the unpaid beta testers. For registered users, look at the list of confirmed bugs at the Cubase forum. Some of these bugs seem to be very obvious and should have been caught by their beta testers.

There are many many issues with this version, most of them caused by the new mixer rack. I'm sure in time they will be corrected. This is the first time Steinberg has set up a separate "issues forum" so I think it's pretty obvious they expect quite a few bugs. Hopefully they can release new fixes quicker, because this release is pretty bad.

Also IMO since Steinberg introduced this mixer rack, they should have given the user the flexibility to integrate their own tools into the mixer rack itself. For example if you own Waves, you could select the Waves EQ tools to integrate into the EQ instead of being forced to use the integrated Steinberg EQ. Steinberg has said in due time this will happen.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
press Shift-Alt for a temp Q-Link).
That is the key to this whole thing from a single mixer perspective. Thank you for that. I totally missed it, but it is clearly stated in the manual. Now, if the channel selection process can be cleaned up a little, that is actually usable. I was wrong on my previous posts about not being able to access the settings without a click. It's still more cumbersome than necessary, but doable.

EDIT: Bleh, spoke to soon. You can't perform any of the channel functions using the keyboard using Alt-Shift. So it's still useless.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
EDIT: Bleh, spoke to soon. You can't perform any of the channel functions using the keyboard using Alt-Shift. So it's still useless.
Nope, noticed that too: Alt-Shift-S is *NO* way to solo some selected tracks... studio time is slow here, so I'm simulating some sessions on my laptop at home.. Leaving the Q-link on all the time and pressing Alt when I want something NOT linked seems the fastest way to go ATM.

I find myself spending a lot more time with the mixer only instead of having a split mix+arrange window..

Herwig
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

I really like Cubase 7. It's rock solid and all the new functions are pretty good .
Also Like vstconnect although it needs a real and serious update in term of stability . It often crashes when doing nothing special like adding insert fx , routing tracks , or changing latency , all this when a remote session is ON.
It's really annoying because its not usable in a serious context like recording an audio track in the middle of a big session it's inevitably going to crash ( I tested )
It seems more reliable when starting with the vstconnect template but then you lose the awesomeness of working in a big session with all your vsts, midi tracks .

Please steinberg, make a fix so its stable !
SLL
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
SLL
Gear maniac

I don't have that many problems with Cubase 7. There is a few bug/problems, but for the most parts here, there is workarounds. The stability has been very good, no crashes. the new mixer is getting more beautiful day by day
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

Personally speaking, I think it's great!
Cubase just gets better and better.
The new mixer is excellent!
For me, it runs like a dream (the same as all cubase versions IMO) on my Hack Pro (i7 ivybridge 4.6ghz, 24gb ram)

Keep up the good work Steiny!
20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Head

I will not say it's a disaster, but well, at least a disappointment. I am back to 6.5.4 and even reinstalled 5.1.1 just one week ago to be able to use transparent events as they were perfectly working before 6.0, get rid of the shady/3D events display that appeared in an unavoidable manner with it and have a 'normal' Info view line display. Result ? My template projects are loaded 2 times faster and I have a minimal ASIO usage again.

This with C7 quirks :
- No more channels settings saving since 7.0.1 'pre-release' : the function just disappeared between 7.0.0 and 7.0.1, though described in the manual, with this hilarious statement coming brutally from JHP (one of the Steinberg.net forum mods) : 'the .vmx files are no longer supported'...
- Exactly the same thing for the 'Preferences / Work area' page (operation manual, p. 705). Result : we are neither allowed to adjust the display intensity of each verttical grid levels anymore nor are we able to adjust the display intensity of the horizontal one,
- a new horrible white masked project cursor which makes it all blurry for my ageing eyes,
- the 'wrap controls' feature is flawed in the group/FX channels in a way that the 'read' and 'write' automation buttons appear no matter how you adjust the vertical size of these tracks,
- the background of the Overview line stays plain white, no matter the color adjustments you do,
- the new and shiny Remote Control Editor is close to useless if you don't have an MCU controller or an equivalent. And beware ! It is prone to crash Cubase : just try to select one of the only four controllers 'templates' in the remote list...
- the ASIO guard might be useful for Mac owners but for PC ones it is useless and even add ASIO resources used.

This with much more resources in general (and especially ASIO) needed to run it.

Think I'll still be working on C5/C6 for a while...
20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

If your looking for character, the Eq and compressors will disappoint. If you want a clean but a little musical character you will love the Studio Eq and vintage compressor and for cleaner purposes, to just reduce dynamics, the standard Comp is good. The reverb, and bread and butter effects in Cubase are very good. No need for third party plug ins unless you want the character of them added to your tracks. Tape and tube effects are not that impressive though.
NL5
20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
NL5
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was totally wrong in my postings about the difference in sound quality between 6.5 & 7.

I have a REDD on the master in the song and in 7 the saturation was set higher...
That's good to hear. 1 + 1 will always equal 10.
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Gear interested

For me it's a great upgrade! the audio engine has been updated notably! work very solid on ML 10.8.3, the MIDI section are gorgeous like ever and ...may be for those have problems they have pirated plugins installed...
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

for me it's a bad upgrade. can't use any uad stuff along with cubase7... hey, but universal audio and steinberg is working on that issue. i hope i could use both with version 7.5!!!
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Gear interested

its best on windows.
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Gear interested

Personally I think C7 is the best DAW i have used so far, It takes some getting used to as do all major updates. I make a lot of programmed music so for me the layout is incredible for me, everything is in its right place and very easy to find. I have no bug issues or glitches of any kids, coming from a boxed version, I have no idea what the dl is like.

Sent from my GT-S5830i
15th May 2013
Old 15th May 2013
Just downloaded and installed it....went thru some of the youtube tutorials for a couple of days to get used to how things are different from 5.x then worked with it for another couple of days.

I suppose it will take getting used to, but, right now, I'm not luving it.

Positives :
-really snappy and responsive
-very stable....not a crash or freeze yet.
-really like the new audio editing "handles" which illuminate on a mouse-over.
-really like the mixer over view section and show/hide functionality
etc...there's quite a bit to like there.

Negatives :
-not sure if I like the actual mixer yet...actually not liking it at all right now, but, I think I just need more time.
-The channel strip "quasi knobs" are too small and fairly hideous and the numeric graphics are not good too look at at all for long periods of time.
-The pale green knobs indicating an EQ/Comp is ON are quite subtle. At my age, I need bold. A light, a back-light, something more positive would be nice.
..etc...

Just generally, the graphics are a bit of a disappointment so far. Someone said "too candy" I have to agree. I'd like a more pro look overall. Polished silver, black knobs, lights, back-lighting....like a real console would've been totally awesome.

...btw...what is wrong with what a real console looks like ?
16th May 2013
Old 16th May 2013
Gear nut

Have to agree with you. Overall good though. For some reason it takes around 8seconds to open my mix console. Any ideas why anyone?

Sent from my GT-I9100P
16th May 2013
Old 16th May 2013
Gear Head

Just patched from 7.0.3 to 7.0.4 and now I have horrible red backgrounds to the racks on alternate channels in the mixer. Is anyone else seeing this?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search