Cubase 7!
New Reply
Subscribe
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Are you on Windows? If so, I've experienced similar behavior.
If you quit Cubase and it fails to start back up, open the task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and go to the processes tab. Scroll through the processes until you see Cubase.exe. Click on it and hit End Process. No need to reboot.

I hope they fixed this in 7 as well. Other than that, I haven't had really any major problems with Cubase, but I have only been using it for sequencing external gear and I just started using it in August. (made the break from hardware sequencer)

They also need to fix the tool popup bar that allows you to select the draw, cut, range, etc. tools. I don't know how many times I try to select the cut tool and it never switches from the pointer. I've been using one of those CMC-QC devices as alternative for selecting tools. The QC allows you to map different functions to buttons on the controller, so I just mapped two buttons that cycles forward/backward between each tool.
yep I've got this same problem however manually quitting the process in task manager doesn't fix it for me - I still have to reboot :(
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apartment dog View Post
Steinberg should offer a subscription for about 50 bucks a year for upgrades on the full version and about 30 bucks on artist version.
Pulling out more every year just to keep using the software in the future is too much imo.
Don't want VI's, don't need Dynamics, EQ's.

Cubase 5 to 6 was about 139 euro but with 6.5. coming in between 6 to 7 is 199 euro now.

Won't upgrade. Keep using it till I need a new system.

Checking out Reaper again.
50 bucks a year? So it would take 10 years of owning Cubase for Steinberg to make the same profits as selling 1 full retail box? I don't think so.

Music software owners are pretty lucky right now that Native, Ableton, Yamaha/Steinberg etc. don't wake up one morning and decide to charge $20 or more per MONTH to use their software. Which would equal $240 per year. Every year. Subscription is the way a lot of software is moving. You're always updated but it's a lot of money. Imagine doing this for multiple software titles. Enjoy this while it lasts.

I don't really care as Cubase 7 (or maybe 8) will be the end of the line for me. My studio Mac only supports up to 10.7 so the highest Cubase I can have on that computer will be the one I will stay with. I don't make enough with my music to start justifying rolling through computers and interfaces every few years.
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Send a message via MSN to jordanvoth
I love being able to add an aux from the mix window.. but I'll stay put with my version of 6 I upgraded to last year. It's working really great for me, maybe there will be some stuff worth the jump in 8 and I really don't mind the costs of upgrading.
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Gear addict

I think the update screams Logic & fruityloops.
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
I'll stay put with my version of 6 I upgraded to last year. It's working really great for me, maybe there will be some stuff worth the jump in 8 and I really don't mind the costs of upgrading.
It will be interesting to see how many people jump from 6/6.5 to 7. As more and more about it gets trotted out along with the upgrade prices being revealed it seems that excitement is waning for 7. Had they delayed it six more months and made more improvements or added more features, or rolled everything from 6.5 into 7 and not made it a separate paid update, I think there'd be less groaning about the upgrade price, grace period and features included. It seems like this was almost rushed out to compete with the release of Ableton 9. The look seems to be suggesting that they're going after Ableton and Logic users more than anything.

I was simply lucky enough to upgrade from 4 in the grace period this week so I will go get 7 regardless in a few weeks but have really been enjoying 6.5. From 4 it is amazing to enjoy how beautiful and smooth everything is. It's like a whole new computer. I can see how a lot of people may stick with it and see what some of the future free updates to 7 hold before laying down the cash. Had I updated a couple of months ago I think I would just be happy enough with 6.5 to wait. ASIO Guard may end up being the biggest game changer. Other than that I think people will just wait until 7.5 or 8 for their next paid upgrade.

It's getting a little tiresome that Windows OS, Mac OS and many software/softsynths are insisting on yearly paid upgrades like yearly video game releases but people pay it so it's not like they're going to stop anytime soon. Also the focus on adding features instead of fixing bugs seems to be all the rage for everyone now.

That said, Cubase has still improved its product a lot more for the better in the last 3-4 years than Ableton or Logic have. I was shocked to see how little the upgrade from Live 8 to 9 offered considering their upgrade price and how long it's been around.
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
It will be interesting to see how many people jump from 6/6.5 to 7. As more and more about it gets trotted out along with the upgrade prices being revealed it seems that excitement is waning for 7. Had they delayed it six more months and made more improvements or added more features, or rolled everything from 6.5 into 7 and not made it a separate paid update, I think there'd be less groaning about the upgrade price, grace period and features included. It seems like this was almost rushed out to compete with the release of Ableton 9. The look seems to be suggesting that they're going after Ableton and Logic users more than anything.

I was simply lucky enough to upgrade from 4 in the grace period this week so I will go get 7 regardless in a few weeks but have really been enjoying 6.5. From 4 it is amazing to enjoy how beautiful and smooth everything is. It's like a whole new computer. I can see how a lot of people may stick with it and see what some of the future free updates to 7 hold before laying down the cash. Had I updated a couple of months ago I think I would just be happy enough with 6.5 to wait. ASIO Guard may end up being the biggest game changer. Other than that I think people will just wait until 7.5 or 8 for their next paid upgrade.

It's getting a little tiresome that Windows OS, Mac OS and many software/softsynths are insisting on yearly paid upgrades like yearly video game releases but people pay it so it's not like they're going to stop anytime soon. Also the focus on adding features instead of fixing bugs seems to be all the rage for everyone now.

That said, Cubase has still improved its product a lot more for the better in the last 3-4 years than Ableton or Logic have. I was shocked to see how little the upgrade from Live 8 to 9 offered considering their upgrade price and how long it's been around.
IMHO the new mixer and ASIO guard/hybrid engine alone are well worth the upgrade price. And I believe the price for 6.5 was reasonable, just because Padshop and Retrologue are really two great synths which IMHO are worth a lot more than the 6.5 upgrade price.

Personally, I think a $99 upgrade for Cubase 7 would have prompted a lot more customers to upgrade and in the end it would have made Steinberg more money. While pros have no problems with what they're asking, Steinberg actually makes a lot more money from bedroom producers, to whom $149 is no chump change.
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknatronik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal View Post
IMHO the new mixer and ASIO guard/hybrid engine alone are well worth the upgrade price. And I believe the price for 6.5 was reasonable, just because Padshop and Retrologue are really two great synths which IMHO are worth a lot more than the 6.5 upgrade price.

Personally, I think a $99 upgrade for Cubase 7 would have prompted a lot more customers to upgrade and in the end it would have made Steinberg more money. While pros have no problems with what they're asking, Steinberg actually makes a lot more money from bedroom producers, to whom $149 is no chump change.
I have decided not to upgrade after days of contemplating. The mixer is cool, but it doesn't seem to have the feel as 6.5 does.
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
50 bucks a year? So it would take 10 years of owning Cubase for Steinberg to make the same profits as selling 1 full retail box? I don't think so.
I said for upgrades.
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Seriously?
Is 50$ your make or break level?
50$ is like what, pizza and beer for two?
So just stay away from pizza and beer and you will have the money for the upgrade in no-time.
and a complete picture department with online, grading and more based on Mistika.
http://www.europasoundvision.se
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
Seriously?
So just stay away from pizza and beer and you will have the money for the upgrade in no-time.
or $50 could be gas for the week, phone bill, water bill, trash bill. I get your point, but at some point $50 means more than a new mixer interface
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
or $50 could be gas for the week, phone bill, water bill, trash bill. I get your point, but at some point $50 means more than a new mixer interface
Well, for those of us who don't do it for a living: It's an expensive hobby we share. Considering that in the past I spent more money for a single plugin than I will have to pay for the update, Imho 139€ (and the street price will go down as soon as it has been released, I guess) is still a moderate price for a major update...
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
Seriously?
I already stay away from pizza and beer
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 View Post
Well, for those of us who don't do it for a living: It's an expensive hobby we share. Considering that in the past I spent more money for a single plugin than I will have to pay for the update, Imho 139€ (and the street price will go down as soon as it has been released, I guess) is still a moderate price for a major update...
I see your point, but for me a major update would be being able to close the program without crash or the windows not moving every time I open my pool. The mixer currently works just fine and having channel strips built int he mixer doesn't mean a lick to me. To each their own and for some this will be a great update, but for me, its not.
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
I see your point, but for me a major update would be being able to close the program without crash or the windows not moving every time I open my pool. The mixer currently works just fine and having channel strips built int he mixer doesn't mean a lick to me. To each their own and for some this will be a great update, but for me, its not.
OK, I see your point now

In the obligatory "What do you dislike the most about cubase" thread, the mixer view was always one of the top points being critisized, so I understand why steinberg prioritized this. As I never experienced the "opening pool moves windows" or "crash on close" bug, I can indeed look forward to the new features - but as it seems that some of the features involve window management, maybe at least your pool window problem may be fixed with the new release...
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 View Post
OK, I see your point now

In the obligatory "What do you dislike the most about cubase" thread, the mixer view was always one of the top points being critisized, so I understand why steinberg prioritized this. As I never experienced the "opening pool moves windows" or "crash on close" bug, I can indeed look forward to the new features - but as it seems that some of the features involve window management, maybe at least your pool window problem may be fixed with the new release...
I could only hope... I hoped for it in the 6.5 update.
26th November 2012
Old 26th November 2012
Gear interested

I'm planning on buying a fresh copy of Cubase.
I understand that Steinberg is offering a grace period to upgrade from 6.5 to 7 for free.

Is there any major benefit of buying Cubase 7 instead of buying 6.5 retail box version and upgrade to 7 which is a cheaper alternative?
26th November 2012
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelharmonic View Post
I'm planning on buying a fresh copy of Cubase.
I understand that Steinberg is offering a grace period to upgrade from 6.5 to 7 for free.

Is there any major benefit of buying Cubase 7 instead of buying 6.5 retail box version and upgrade to 7 which is a cheaper alternative?
No. If you can grab a 6.5 for a decent price, do that and get the free grace period update.
mike vee
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

I don't think I will upgrade. 6.5 is amazing on my system right now...super stable and my workflow is amazing on it right now. Not sure I like that new mixer. Maybe one day.
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Telling it like it is

As a very long time dissatisfied Cakewalk user since '96, I'm watching this thread with interest! Cubase looks like it's come a long way. Last time I tried demoing it was somewhere around Cubase 3 I think...when Cakewalk changed from Pro Audio to Sonar. At that time I couldn't wrap my head around how Cubase worked.

I can't even boot Sonar up anymore with it turning my stomach because of how bad it's become and I've been looking to try out another DAW that at least had music notation for MIDI - there's not many others out there that do. I'm really excited to take a peek at a demo of Cubase 7 when it's released. The videos so far have looked excellent.

Anyone have any ideas when it's supposed to be released?

Thanks,
Frank

www.frankperri.com

Never listen to opinions regarding gear. For every 50 nobodies on Gearslutz that say a piece of gear doesn't sound good enough to cut it, I know at least one somebody who is cutting it in NYC with that piece of gear.

Remember kids, Gearslutz is for entertainment purposes only.
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Gear maniac

5 december
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Telling it like it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearowner View Post
5 december
Thanks! That's just around the corner. Something to look forward to....

Regards,
Frank
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Gear maniac

For someone new stepping into cubase 7, it's gonna be a good experience. For me, on Cubase since 3 sx, (now still on 5) 7 won't bring a lot of groundbreaking stuff. I've had the chance to be one of the few of us normal people to have thorough hands on experience with it, just a couple of days ago. I posted in this thread. Basically a lot gui tweaks and a lot of emphasis on steinbergs part on their own built in effects,... personally I don't use them at all, and will get rid of it as fast as possible. Im talking about their plugins and vsti's, and preset libraries of all kinds.

One thing they should have fixed lightyears ago, is the fact that one cannot scroll when different tabs are open in the inspector lane, it is just stuck and you need a lot of vertical real estate on your screen to scroll to everything.

Also i need access to INSERTS and SENDS on ALL channels AT THE SAME TIME. Only way to do this is through the mixview, while I need it on my project view, like in pro tools, where you'd have access to inserts and sends at the left of every track. This, to this day, is a work flow killer in my perspective.
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderTow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearowner View Post
One thing they should have fixed lightyears ago, is the fact that one cannot scroll when different tabs are open in the inspector lane, it is just stuck and you need a lot of vertical real estate on your screen to scroll to everything.
Yes this is silly. Not only is the Inspector not scrollable but the different parts just use way too much space. I hope that the Inspector in C7 looks a bit like the new Mixer. There the inserts are small rectangles without handles and the silly preset selector. Much tighter and efficient use of screen real-estate. If the elements use less space, it might not even need to be scrollable...

Quote:
Also i need access to INSERTS and SENDS on ALL channels AT THE SAME TIME. Only way to do this is through the mixview, while I need it on my project view, like in pro tools, where you'd have access to inserts and sends at the left of every track. This, to this day, is a work flow killer in my perspective.
Indeed. One thing I loved about working in Sonar was that I never ever had any need to open the mixer/console view. All info was directly accessible from the Arrange window. The same applies to PT (Although I have the mixer window open in PT. Different workflows for different types of work...).

Alistair
mike vee
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
As a very long time dissatisfied Cakewalk user since '96, I'm watching this thread with interest! Cubase looks like it's come a long way. Last time I tried demoing it was somewhere around Cubase 3 I think...when Cakewalk changed from Pro Audio to Sonar. At that time I couldn't wrap my head around how Cubase worked.

I can't even boot Sonar up anymore with it turning my stomach because of how bad it's become and I've been looking to try out another DAW that at least had music notation for MIDI - there's not many others out there that do. I'm really excited to take a peek at a demo of Cubase 7 when it's released. The videos so far have looked excellent.

Anyone have any ideas when it's supposed to be released?

Thanks,
Frank
yo man cubase is the SHIT - best DAW definitely. you will enjoy it. be sure to take a while creating and tweaking your Startup template. that is key in my opinion.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

I thought it was supposed to be released today....
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
yo man cubase is the SHIT - best DAW definitely. you will enjoy it. be sure to take a while creating and tweaking your Startup template. that is key in my opinion.
Great point, making your device connections and edit and mixer window a template that you love is KEY to productivity. I LOVE 6.5!

http://soundcloud.com/godsons
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman View Post
I thought it was supposed to be released today....
Dec 5
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcecil View Post
Dec 5
Thanks! I guess I'm too anxious
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
I'm still using Cubase Studio 5 and I don't see anything that makes me want to upgrade.
Learning a new mixer layout turns me off. :(

Enviado desde mi Nexus 7 usando Tapatalk
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Gear interested

All these complaints. Sure, no music production software is perfect, but Cubase is definitely one of the best and all these updates are a good thing if you ask me. And these prices, come on it's not bad at all.

By the way I haven't experienced any of the bugs mentioned here. That might be a matter of checking out your system and not necessarily Cubase could be to blame. I use three screens of which one a higher resolution than the other two. No problems at all.

All the new options look great and from what I heard Cubase 7 launches as a seperate program, so you can keep any older version you're using as an alternative option and only possibly gain something from it.

I already preordered it and looking forward to some nice creative moments and especially the new mixer. The best thing for me will me searching for plugs by keyword and not having to go through several popup windows.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search