Cubase 7!
#31
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceacademy View Post
I didn't realise there was a video so thanks.
Interesting I think. Whether I would get use from it I couldn't say for certain, but I'm sure others will enjoy the feature
Their Youtube account has 4 videos at the moment - Steinberg Media Technologies - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
With the chord thing I guess you don't need to learn music theory anymore!

I guess it should be called Noobase 7?
This is a silly argument.

Think. What's the worst that's going to happen?

- you don't have to use it if you think you know better
- you could even learn about some progressions you didn't know about in the first place, because a computer does not have preconceptions of "what sounds good"
- people could do this already in Atari times, it's not like it's rocket science
- people have been doing this already since the iPhone was launched, so it's not like it's unique and groundbreaking
- most importantly: if your edge was purely in learning a few obvious progressions by heart, you didn't have an edge anyway

It's like complaining about auto-beatmatching in Traktor; it's a skill that you're supposed to have anyway, and the difference between a perfect transition that's done by a human or a perfect transition done by a computer is negligible. If it was your only skill, you didn't have an edge anyway.

For those that don't know better it'll finally provide a welcome relief from the nth variation on Pachelbel. People are going to be encouraged to find more and different chord progressions rather than what they can achieve now with simple hunt-and-peck over the keyboard.

It's a net positive effect.

So you had to study 10 years, walk in the snow uphill both ways, etc. Congratulations; you have lost nothing of your abilities with this, and the feature to move -everything- including samples is useful in its own right - it offers nice avenues of experimentation.
#32
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Headz51230's Avatar
 

The sidechain "issue" apparently wasn't addressed either.
#33
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #33
digital ears love analog
 
Rogue Ai's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Their Youtube account has 4 videos at the moment - Steinberg Media Technologies - YouTube



This is a silly argument.

Think. What's the worst that's going to happen?

- you don't have to use it if you think you know better
- you could even learn about some progressions you didn't know about in the first place, because a computer does not have preconceptions of "what sounds good"
- people could do this already in Atari times, it's not like it's rocket science
- people have been doing this already since the iPhone was launched, so it's not like it's unique and groundbreaking
- most importantly: if your edge was purely in learning a few obvious progressions by heart, you didn't have an edge anyway

It's like complaining about auto-beatmatching in Traktor; it's a skill that you're supposed to have anyway, and the difference between a perfect transition that's done by a human or a perfect transition done by a computer is negligible. If it was your only skill, you didn't have an edge anyway.

For those that don't know better it'll finally provide a welcome relief from the nth variation on Pachelbel. People are going to be encouraged to find more and different chord progressions rather than what they can achieve now with simple hunt-and-peck over the keyboard.

It's a net positive effect.

So you had to study 10 years, walk in the snow uphill both ways, etc. Congratulations; you have lost nothing of your abilities with this, and the feature to move -everything- including samples is useful in its own right - it offers nice avenues of experimentation.
I wasn't being serious. lol
Quote
1
#34
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #34
Lives for gear
 
teknatronik's Avatar
 

Noobase! Classic!
#35
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #35
Lives for gear
 
teknatronik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headz51230 View Post
The sidechain "issue" apparently wasn't addressed either.
fill me in? I never had beef using sidechain.
#36
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #36
Banned
 

and after avid again a company is advertising a better sound quality...

that must sound like a lie to the "all daws sound the same" fraction.
#37
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Headz51230's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
fill me in? I never had beef using sidechain.
For some people its an issue. Like in ableton IIRC you can link your pad/bass/whatever track from within said track where as in cubase you have to send it from the controlling track and with 8 sends total some find it a bear creating ghost tracks to send from or alternatively grouping tracks when they run out..Life can be so hard..:(
#38
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #38
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headz51230 View Post
For some people its an issue. Like in ableton IIRC you can link your pad/bass/whatever track from within said track where as in cubase you have to send it from the controlling track and with 8 sends total some find it a bear creating ghost tracks to send from or alternatively grouping tracks when they run out..Life can be so hard..:(
Dont you need just a SideChain Group to which your signal is routed and the trigger is sent?
#39
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #39
Moderator
 
Reptil's Avatar
thread moved
#40
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #40
Lives for gear
 
teknatronik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ape View Post
Dont you need just a SideChain Group to which your signal is routed and the trigger is sent?
Thats how I do it.... I have a sidechain group and I send bass/pad w/e to that group and then my kick is sent as the trigger.... I have never used all 8 sends or inserts... lol
mike vee
Thread Starter
#41
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #41
Lives for gear
 
mike vee's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Cubase has been RIDICULOUSLY solid for me on Windows 7 since version 5.

2-3 crashes in about 3 years, max. I really really love Cubase - it has been the number one reason I have been able to really step up my game over the last few years. I will be loyal for life. It really takes the computer bullshit out of a DAW and is just bursting with super easy to use features and is super stable.

I am also pretty proficient/advanced with PT and in my opinion it doesn't hold a candle to Cubase.
#42
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #42
Lives for gear
 
apartment dog's Avatar
 

Steinberg should offer a subscription for about 50 bucks a year for upgrades on the full version and about 30 bucks on artist version.
Pulling out more every year just to keep using the software in the future is too much imo.
Don't want VI's, don't need Dynamics, EQ's.

Cubase 5 to 6 was about 139 euro but with 6.5. coming in between 6 to 7 is 199 euro now.

Won't upgrade. Keep using it till I need a new system.

Checking out Reaper again.
#43
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
and after avid again a company is advertising a better sound quality...

that must sound like a lie to the "all daws sound the same" fraction.
You assume that all marketing speaks the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?
#44
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #44
Lives for gear
 
teknatronik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apartment dog View Post
Steinberg should offer a subscription for about 50 bucks a year for upgrades on the full version and about 30 bucks on artist version.
Pulling out more every year just to keep using the software in the future is too much imo.
Don't want VI's, don't need Dynamics, EQ's.

Cubase 5 to 6 was about 139 euro but with 6.5. coming in between 6 to 7 is 199 euro now.

Won't upgrade. Keep using it till I need a new system.

Checking out Reaper again.
yup, 149 from 6.5 to 7
#45
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Headz51230's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
Thats how I do it.... I have a sidechain group and I send bass/pad w/e to that group and then my kick is sent as the trigger.... I have never used all 8 sends or inserts... lol
Right I know but in ableton and such its totally unecessary. Not a big deal to me either, in fact you can be more creative with it the cubase way imo.
#46
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #46
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
and after avid again a company is advertising a better sound quality...

that must sound like a lie to the "all daws sound the same" fraction.
Well, if you read the whole text, you will see that this is related to the console emulation of the new mixer (something like Slates VCC, I think), so it makes totally sense without contributing to the "my DAW sounds better than yours" discussion.
#47
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #47
Banned
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 View Post
Well, if you read the whole text, you will see that this is related to the console emulation of the new mixer (something like Slates VCC, I think), so it makes totally sense without contributing to the "my DAW sounds better than yours" discussion.
they state for a cleaner more transparent sound there..not for overdrive emulation
#48
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
  #48
Banned
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
You assume that all marketing speaks the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?
no.. but daw companys was pretty carefull about advertizing a better sound without having something in the pocket.. so it might be true
#49
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
  #49
Gear maniac
 
VastArray's Avatar
 

How does upgrading Cubase work? I want to upgrade the LE version I have now to full 6.5 and then get the free upgrade to version 7 in 2 weeks. If they ship 6.5 to me, will I be able to download the version 7 upgrade and use the same dongle from 6.5?

/edit
Think I found my answer:
Cubase 7 Grace Period Info
#50
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
  #50
Lives for gear
 
steveschizoid's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiesmalls View Post
hopefully the fix the window resizing bullshit that has occurred since cubase 4...
This is so incredibly annoying. I wish I had a quarter for every bloody time I've had to resize the blasted windows to fit - probably add up to enough to buy me a new compressor.

I'd be surprised if they fix it though, since nobody - not the moderators on the Steinberg forum, not the tech support people I spoken with - acknowledges that it's a problem.

Then again, I guess they're trying to deal with the CPU spike issue that tech support also refuses to acknowledge.

I'd like to know before I spend another dime. They add all these incredible bells and whistles for the bedroom studio crowd, but they still can't make the external FX routing save with the project? Despite using a quad core running at 4 GHz I still get a CPU overload error on a project with 7 tracks, just because I have the Huffington Post open? Or because I have a little bit of Variaudio that I forgot to bounce?

I'm about to partner with a studio that uses Sonar and Pro Tools, so I'm thinking it might be time for me and Cubase to part ways.

But the window issue is especially absurd...I'm kinda happy someone else has mentioned it.
#51
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
  #51
Lives for gear
 

Drove downtown and found a copy of the 4/5 to 6.5 update today. Activated today, very happy and i get to play with 6.5 for a couple of weeks before the update's available. Jumped up all the way from 4 and it's quite the difference. Much more slick and smooth. I was going to jump to 6.5 anyway, the 7 upgrade is a nice bonus.

If you're in Edmonton, Canada 3 of the 4 Long and McQuades still have copies. I imagine they'll get pulled once 7 is out so hurry up. 199 Canadian. And remember in Canada you have to buy through a Canadian store. Not through Steinberg or the Cubase website, no downloads.
#52
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
  #52
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
they state for a cleaner more transparent sound there..not for overdrive emulation
Like I said, read the whole text, not just the introduction. They integrated EQ , env shaper, limiter and compressor sections to every single channel strip AND added an optional analog tube emulation. So off course that will make the sound diffetent to other DAWs, and off course built in channel EQs and Compressors in a DAW mixer should be as transparent as possible.
Quote
1
#53
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
  #53
Lives for gear
 
RobJB06's Avatar
 

...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
Drove downtown and found a copy of the 4/5 to 6.5 update today. Activated today, very happy and i get to play with 6.5 for a couple of weeks before the update's available. Jumped up all the way from 4 and it's quite the difference. Much more slick and smooth. I was going to jump to 6.5 anyway, the 7 upgrade is a nice bonus.

If you're in Edmonton, Canada 3 of the 4 Long and McQuades still have copies. I imagine they'll get pulled once 7 is out so hurry up. 199 Canadian. And remember in Canada you have to buy through a Canadian store. Not through Steinberg or the Cubase website, no downloads.
#54
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
  #54
Lives for gear
 
UnderTow's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
This is so incredibly annoying. I wish I had a quarter for every bloody time I've had to resize the blasted windows to fit - probably add up to enough to buy me a new compressor.

<snip>

But the window issue is especially absurd...I'm kinda happy someone else has mentioned it.
What is the issue? I'm not familiar with it. (At least I think I'm not...) This isn't the problem that some VSTs have a tiny little window instead of the full GUI?

Alistair
#55
22nd November 2012
Old 22nd November 2012
  #55
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
What is the issue? I'm not familiar with it. (At least I think I'm not...) This isn't the problem that some VSTs have a tiny little window instead of the full GUI?

Alistair
No, the windowing issue is that there are specific editor windows that don't have an "always on top" option (like media bay and VST Instrument Rack) .. If you work full screen, accessing any of the non-topable windows minimizes your full screen editors. This sucks on multi screen configs especially.

Also, screen sets don't recover the window position properly if you have different size/resolution monitors (I do). So even the window sets (workspaces) don't solve the problem.

The work around is to never maximize a window, which is absolute BS. Also, a few of the windows that you can't top are the ones you seriously want to do it with ... hello media bay.
#56
22nd November 2012
Old 22nd November 2012
  #56
Lives for gear
 
UnderTow's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcecil View Post
No, the windowing issue is that there are specific editor windows that don't have an "always on top" option (like media bay and VST Instrument Rack) .. If you work full screen, accessing any of the non-topable windows minimizes your full screen editors. This sucks on multi screen configs especially.

Also, screen sets don't recover the window position properly if you have different size/resolution monitors (I do). So even the window sets (workspaces) don't solve the problem.

The work around is to never maximize a window, which is absolute BS. Also, a few of the windows that you can't top are the ones you seriously want to do it with ... hello media bay.
Ah that! Yes absolutely! Also, "Always-on-top" should do exactly that and nothing else so that you can specify windows that you actually want to always be on top. ALL windows should ALWAYS be draggable outside of the main Cubase window.

Even with three 1920x1080 screens I struggle with Cubase's abysmal window management.

PS: If instrument tracks could have multiple outputs I would never need the instrument rack.

Alistair
#57
22nd November 2012
Old 22nd November 2012
  #57
Lives for gear
 
DeadPoet's Avatar
 

For those bitching about upgrade price: that's the way it works, deal with it. If you want cutting edge or the latest of the latest you pay for that.

I bought SX3 2nd hand for a good price but payed about 2x the new price of Cubase 7 with all the updates. Which doesn't bother me *at* *all* because in the meanwhile my life has gotten a lot easier making money with this software. (remember the days when you couldn't route a group to a previously made group??)



Herwig
#58
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
  #58
Manic Modulator
 
Red Black's Avatar
New vids from Steiny:



#59
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
  #59
Gear maniac
 

Not sure if I should post this here or in other thread, but:

I just came back from a hands on workshop of cubase 7. to give y'all a mental note of a couple of the first impressions....

1) The new features are cool if you are just starting to get into itb music production. If you already have a workflow, the new stuff is not really interesting all that much.
2) the chord (aranger) options are cool, but I found you need a lot of mouse clicks to make the system do what you want.
3)the mixconsole, although nicely updated with a couple of neat options, gives a rather childish impression and because of this it didn't instantly grow on me and instead hindered me in focussing on creative work to be done.
#60
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
  #60
Lives for gear
 
teknatronik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearowner View Post
Not sure if I should post this here or in other thread, but:

I just came back from a hands on workshop of cubase 7. to give y'all a mental note of a couple of the first impressions....

1) The new features are cool if you are just starting to get into itb music production. If you already have a workflow, the new stuff is not really interesting all that much.
2) the chord (aranger) options are cool, but I found you need a lot of mouse clicks to make the system do what you want.
3)the mixconsole, although nicely updated with a couple of neat options, gives a rather childish impression and because of this it didn't instantly grow on me and instead hindered me in focussing on creative work to be done.
thanks for this.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
UnMix Studio / Music Computers
7
stereobot / Music Computers
1
bassnote / Music Computers
11
Reag1502 / Music Computers
103

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.