Login / Register
 
Cubase 7 | HP Z series workstation
New Reply
Subscribe
ACIM
Thread Starter
#1
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #1
Gear Head
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 33

Thread Starter
ACIM is offline
Cubase 7 | HP Z series workstation

#2
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 691

Paul in SoCal is offline
I prefer to build myself, but hats off to HP for an amazing workstation offered at a very reasonable price. With less than $3,000 you'll be able to fully load this baby. HP gets a bad rap for their budget consumer machines (and, unfortunately for them, it's well-deserved), but their premium consumer lines (Envy etc.) are very good and their business lines (Z workstations, Elitebooks etc.) are truly awesome.
#3
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,859

jcschild is offline
you cant be serious? what an absolute waste of money..

i just configured on HPs website the fastest 6 core (2.9GHz) 16gig ECC (ecc is not wise for audio video)
500G OS and 2 2tb drives

$5837? seriously..
for $2700 you can get a 6 core desktop @ 3.2GHz and the same specs..

thats more than 2 times the price..

Scott
ADK
Quote
1
#4
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #4
Gear Head
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 73

rednas is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
you cant be serious? what an absolute waste of money..

Scott
ADK
This.
#5
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
jamwerks's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,144

jamwerks is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
for $2700 you can get a 6 core desktop @ 3.2GHz and the same specs..
thats more than 2 times the price..
+1
#6
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #6
Gear maniac
 
davenutz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: New York CIty
Posts: 283

davenutz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
you cant be serious? what an absolute waste of money..

i just configured on HPs website the fastest 6 core (2.9GHz) 16gig ECC (ecc is not wise for audio video)
500G OS and 2 2tb drives

$5837? seriously..
for $2700 you can get a 6 core desktop @ 3.2GHz and the same specs..

thats more than 2 times the price..

Scott
ADK
there is no way you are breaking into a dual cpu XEON workstation for $2700. Same clock speed? maybe.
same specs? not by a long shot.
#7
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 2,338

zephonic is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
for $2700 you can get a 6 core desktop @ 3.2GHz and the same specs..

thats more than 2 times the price..

I just spec'd out a Z420 with the 3.2/6core,2x8GB RAM, 1x500GB and 2x1TB HDD and came to $3436 including liquid cooling and 3/3/3 warranty. Standard cooling knocks $125 off the price.

Not bad, but not extraordinary either. I guess you pay for that AMD FirePro graphics card, too, and perhaps that warranty, whatever 3/3/3 means...
__________________
#8
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,859

jcschild is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenutz View Post
there is no way you are breaking into a dual cpu XEON workstation for $2700. Same clock speed? maybe.
same specs? not by a long shot.
umm did you bother to GO to HP and configure
they are NOT dual that was for a SINGLE.... dual would be way more..

there is no point to a dual Xeon unless you are buying a dual 3.1GHz 16 core.. they you are getting into the 8K + range

make that $9782

Last edited by jcschild; 14th November 2012 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: pricing
#9
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,859

jcschild is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
I just spec'd out a Z420 with the 3.2/6core,2x8GB RAM, 1x500GB and 2x1TB HDD and came to $3436 including liquid cooling and 3/3/3 warranty. Standard cooling knocks $125 off the price.

Not bad, but not extraordinary either. I guess you pay for that AMD FirePro graphics card, too, and perhaps that warranty, whatever 3/3/3 means...
yup.. my try came to $3466
much better than the Z820 pricing.. very odd maybe they ship a dual Xeon board with just 1 processor for the Z820.. after looking again yes..

still $700 more for what?

Scott
ADK
#10
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #10
Gear interested
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 17

deusletum is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
you cant be serious? what an absolute waste of money..

i just configured on HPs website the fastest 6 core (2.9GHz) 16gig ECC (ecc is not wise for audio video)
500G OS and 2 2tb drives

$5837? seriously..
for $2700 you can get a 6 core desktop @ 3.2GHz and the same specs..

thats more than 2 times the price..

Scott
ADK
Those are Xeon CPUs, IE high performance CPUs for servers and workstations. They will crush, yes I said crush your silly consumer model. And why is ECC not good for audio? Seems to me you know nothing about high end computing and you do this topic a disservice with your uneducated response.
#11
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,859

jcschild is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deusletum View Post
Those are Xeon CPUs, IE high performance CPUs for servers and workstations. They will crush, yes I said crush your silly consumer model. And why is ECC not good for audio? Seems to me you know nothing about high end computing and you do this topic a disservice with your uneducated response.
oh really? how so got benchmarks for audio? please do enlighten me i cant wait to hear this one... grabbing popcorn..

Scott
ADK
#12
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #12
Gear maniac
 
Standstraight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 168

Standstraight is offline
To bad it comes with a OS that would need a couple of years more beta testing (I'm talking about all window versions since 98).
#13
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,859

jcschild is offline
where is the thumbs down button?? i would put Windows 7 against any OSX all day long.. if anything i have seen a large increase in OSX problems on this forum over the last 2-3 yrs..
Quote
3
#14
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #14
Gear addict
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Here and there

nspaas is offline
Yup, this should be good.....



munch munch.
#15
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #15
Gear interested
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 17

deusletum is offline
#16
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,859

jcschild is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deusletum View Post
Here ya go PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End.

And btw all audio stored or processed by a computer is digital so these benchmarks count and if you don’t believe please educate yourself Computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
thats it? thats all you got man.. audio is digital so they count..

1) passmark tests do not equate to performance for audio or video. and frequently not gaming either but thats highly dependant on the games programing (again core usage)
passmark is a synthetic test that does little to show real world use

2) a lot has to do with the software (and OS) being used as to how well the system cane even multi-thread.. incase you were not aware of what that means, its the ability to use all the cores..

3) the wiki link is well just hilarious..

4) so before you actually open your mouth again have you used both systems and have actual experiance?

5) and here is the Killer du jour answer to your silly comment

ALL silicon (thats what processors are made of) from Intel from the same architecture is all the same.. ) (in this case Sandy E)
so the Xeon 3.2GHz and the desktop 3.2GHZ are the EXACT same processor
sorry to bust your bubble but Intel does not have a die line for Xeons and a die line for desktop.
in fact all the processors are the same silicon intel just chooses to set them at a certain speed..
to recap there is not a silicon die line for a 3.2 and another for a 2.0 its all the same silicon waffer. 4, 6, and 8 core all the same.. some just have cores disabled.

6) lastly guess what i DO have benchmarks..

Audio
Benchmarks for Pro Audio!

2nd graph down.. so much for the might Xeons winning.

and for Video
http://www.adkvideoediting.com/benchmarks.asp

to quote you ''Seems to me you know nothing about high end computing and you do this topic a disservice with your uneducated response. ""

you were saying about uneducated?

Scott
ADK
#17
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
  #17
Super Moderator
 
Grahamdwc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,420
My Studio

Grahamdwc is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deusletum View Post
.....And btw all audio stored or processed by a computer is digital so these benchmarks count and if you don’t believe please educate yourself Computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ok you might want to reign it in a bit deusleturn.

Scott is a well respected member here who has, dare i say, educated, many of us with his vast experience and knowledge in system building and setup.



Graham
#18
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
crypticglobe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,569

crypticglobe is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
you cant be serious? what an absolute waste of money..

i just configured on HPs website the fastest 6 core (2.9GHz) 16gig ECC (ecc is not wise for audio video)
500G OS and 2 2tb drives

$5837? seriously..
for $2700 you can get a 6 core desktop @ 3.2GHz and the same specs..

thats more than 2 times the price..

Scott
ADK
Holy Cow! Scott and I agree on something besides the fact that my pet chipmunk is cute. Nice to see you on FB now and then btw Scott.

Carry on....
__________________
Steve Lamm
www.cgrmusic.com
#19
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,476

Bill@WelcomeHome is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACIM View Post
Any users of the HP Z820 here?
First, the HP Z series is custom configurable, you can have them build it the way you want, so you don't need to pay an arm and a leg for one. Second, they are pretty nice and the support has been decent. I own an entry-level 210 (not made anymore) and it has been a solid performer for me. Plus it was cost effective compared to building it myself (which I've done many times.) The HP Z came highly recommended to me by a very knowledgeable fellow who used to work for one of the popular DAW manufacturers. Likewise, Bob O recommends the Dell workstation, for similar reasons. Converting a workstation to a DAW was fast and easy, much less trouble than trying to convert a consumer-grade machine from a box house, or a place like Best Buy or Office max, etc.
__________________
"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by current.
#20
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
  #20
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 248

polaris20 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
yup.. my try came to $3466
much better than the Z820 pricing.. very odd maybe they ship a dual Xeon board with just 1 processor for the Z820.. after looking again yes..

still $700 more for what?

Scott
ADK
I've never used one for audio, but the Z series stuff is built like a tank, and the workstation support is top notch, as is their server stuff. It's no secret I don't care for their laptops, but their workstations and servers have been fantastic for years. I have two XW's behind me that are fantastic, and they're more than 4 years old.

A lot of times there's more to price than just specs; service is a huge factor for many people. HP business workstations have that advantage. With the systems you guys are talking about, is there a guy there the next day (or sometimes sooner, depending on the warranty) there to replace/fix the machine if needed?
#21
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
  #21
Gear interested
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 17

deusletum is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
thats it? thats all you got man.. audio is digital so they count..

1) passmark tests do not equate to performance for audio or video. and frequently not gaming either but thats highly dependant on the games programing (again core usage)
passmark is a synthetic test that does little to show real world use

2) a lot has to do with the software (and OS) being used as to how well the system cane even multi-thread.. incase you were not aware of what that means, its the ability to use all the cores..

3) the wiki link is well just hilarious..

4) so before you actually open your mouth again have you used both systems and have actual experiance?

5) and here is the Killer du jour answer to your silly comment

ALL silicon (thats what processors are made of) from Intel from the same architecture is all the same.. ) (in this case Sandy E)
so the Xeon 3.2GHz and the desktop 3.2GHZ are the EXACT same processor
sorry to bust your bubble but Intel does not have a die line for Xeons and a die line for desktop.
in fact all the processors are the same silicon intel just chooses to set them at a certain speed..
to recap there is not a silicon die line for a 3.2 and another for a 2.0 its all the same silicon waffer. 4, 6, and 8 core all the same.. some just have cores disabled.

6) lastly guess what i DO have benchmarks..

Audio
Benchmarks for Pro Audio!

2nd graph down.. so much for the might Xeons winning.

and for Video
http://www.adkvideoediting.com/benchmarks.asp

to quote you ''Seems to me you know nothing about high end computing and you do this topic a disservice with your uneducated response. ""

you were saying about uneducated?

Scott
ADK

Yes Scott I use computer systems or rather design computer systems that use Xeons every day. And yes those tests matter regardless of what you say. And yes Xeons are different processors, that perform so much better. Die lines are you ****ing kidding me, that is your answer? I have 600 million dollars of servers sitting in a lab that say otherwise, and I ran the benchmarks on those myself. Not one of them has a consumer CPU, they all have Xeon and we would never consider doing otherwise. Btw here is the last system I designed HP Database Consolidation Appliance for Microsoft SQL Server. And I see that E5 2670 which is an 8 core Xeon beating 3960K and the E5 2670 is low end Xeon. Did you even look at your charts? And if you take an E7 8870, it has 10 cores! But no these CPUs are all the same. Really? Since when did 10 = 6?
#22
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
  #22
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 2,338

zephonic is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
yup.. my try came to $3466
much better than the Z820 pricing.. very odd maybe they ship a dual Xeon board with just 1 processor for the Z820.. after looking again yes..

still $700 more for what?

Scott
ADK
The obvious reason would be to add a second processor further down the road...

The 2008 MacPros were like that, too. The entry-level model had a dual processor board with just one CPU.
#23
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
  #23
Lives for gear
 
DAW PLUS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Germany, Worldwide
Posts: 3,081
My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to DAW PLUS
DAW PLUS is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deusletum View Post
Yes Scott I use computer systems or rather design computer systems that use Xeons every day. And yes those tests matter regardless of what you say. And yes Xeons are different processors, that perform so much better. Die lines are you ****ing kidding me, that is your answer? I have 600 million dollars of servers sitting in a lab that say otherwise, and I ran the benchmarks on those myself. Not one of them has a consumer CPU, they all have Xeon and we would never consider doing otherwise. Btw here is the last system I designed HP Database Consolidation Appliance for Microsoft SQL Server. And I see that E5 2670 which is an 8 core Xeon beating 3960K and the E5 2670 is low end Xeon. Did you even look at your charts? And if you take an E7 8870, it has 10 cores! But no these CPUs are all the same. Really? Since when did 10 = 6?
You are comparing apples with pears here. We only build with Xeons, yet Scott is pretty on point. He compares hexacore vs hexacore, not hexa vs octo.
Xeons do not offer extra speed for audio, yet they usually run the same on slightly lower voltage hence less heat. ECC does not offer anything for audio, just as the passmark and other bread and butter benchmarks don't tell anything about audio.

That being said, this whole HP thing is just to tell people what they could buy if the have no clue about where to buy a decent audio workstation.
While I agree with most that HP is mediocre in their offerings, they do work fine in most cases. But at this price point....pfff
And on the Yamaha website for Nuage, suggesting a V7900 for quad displays. Someone has no clue.
__________________
Leon
XI-MACHINES workstations
SSL & VSL certified. Pro Tools for Windows qualified systems.
#24
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
  #24
Gear interested
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 17

deusletum is offline
Your correct, I am not even sure there are any 6 core Xeons. Xeon are great if you are doing a lot of parallel processing, those extra cores really help. And I only jump on the Xeons are the same CPU and the consumer fair. For the average person its over kill. Audio is a bit of a problem. We have yet to see features like distrusted workloads or really great parallel processing, although with things like Bitwig I hope that will change. What is a real shame is Apple does not appear to care about workstation class computers anymore. If you are trying to mix or master 128 channels, that workstation helps and Mac has that ease of use going for it. Don't get me wrong Windows works great, it is just a lot more setup and config to get it there.
#25
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
  #25
x86 Moderator
 
George Necola's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Winterthur, Switzerland
Posts: 8,654
My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
George Necola is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
You are comparing apples with pears here. We only build with Xeons, yet Scott is pretty on point. He compares hexacore vs hexacore, not hexa vs octo.
Xeons do not offer extra speed for audio, yet they usually run the same on slightly lower voltage hence less heat. ECC does not offer anything for audio, just as the passmark and other bread and butter benchmarks don't tell anything about audio.

That being said, this whole HP thing is just to tell people what they could buy if the have no clue about where to buy a decent audio workstation.
While I agree with most that HP is mediocre in their offerings, they do work fine in most cases. But at this price point....pfff
And on the Yamaha website for Nuage, suggesting a V7900 for quad displays. Someone has no clue.
dont agree. you pay HP for the support. we have customers (non Audio, CAD workstations) who can get replacement and troubleshooting within 4 hours.

zworkstations are not for the home user.. I aree.

cheers
George
__________________
Quote:
"recording engineers don't die, they are dragged into the grave by the shear weight of their balls."
Malcolm Chisholm
---------------------------------------------
www.georgenecola.com produce & mix itm/gear & fun

blog.georgenecola.com reviews & gear
#26
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
  #26
Lives for gear
 
projektk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,348

projektk is offline
+1 to ECC RAM being bad for audio/video. Google it.

Whether its Intel, AMD or even Apple OS X, building it yourself is always better.

Sent from my LG-P925
#27
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,044

thehightenor is offline
The thing is, these days when building your own workstation is so easy that my 10 year old son can do it - literally!

.... that's what makes the HP Workstations seems expensive to me, and I do music/audio for a living, I'd rather spend the extra money elsewhere.

At one time, I used to buy pre configured solutions from turnkey PC companies because in those days if you built your own workstation you might only get 90% of the available processing power, and that was a big deal when it meant 6 native reverbs instead of 8!

Here today when for around £1000 I can have a Hex-core 64GB monster workstation that will deliver so much processing ability with a straight install of Windows 7 and zero tweaks to anything, it makes these HP workstations seem very expensive to me personally.

There's just so much processing power available today, 90% is still 30% more than I ever seem to need!

Plus everything is so stable these days, just take Cubase at one time is was so buggy on first releases, now I grabbed both C5 and C6 the day they came out, installed and made music, still not had a single crash.
ACIM
Thread Starter
#28
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
  #28
Gear Head
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 33

Thread Starter
ACIM is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk View Post
+1 to ECC RAM being bad for audio/video. Google it.

Whether its Intel, AMD or even Apple OS X, building it yourself is always better.
I never build my own system so I might screw up even if I have all the parts delivered that should result in a Z820 workstation.
ACIM
Thread Starter
#29
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
  #29
Gear Head
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 33

Thread Starter
ACIM is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
The thing is, these days when building your own workstation is so easy that my 10 year old son can do it - literally!
It probably is but the thing is that in that case you still have to know what parts will result in a flawless working system.
#30
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,859

jcschild is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deusletum View Post
Yes Scott I use computer systems or rather design computer systems that use Xeons every day. And yes those tests matter regardless of what you say. And yes Xeons are different processors, that perform so much better. Die lines are you ****ing kidding me, that is your answer? I have 600 million dollars of servers sitting in a lab that say otherwise, and I ran the benchmarks on those myself. Not one of them has a consumer CPU, they all have Xeon and we would never consider doing otherwise. Btw here is the last system I designed HP Database Consolidation Appliance for Microsoft SQL Server. And I see that E5 2670 which is an 8 core Xeon beating 3960K and the E5 2670 is low end Xeon. Did you even look at your charts? And if you take an E7 8870, it has 10 cores! But no these CPUs are all the same. Really? Since when did 10 = 6?
Wow, you dont even know there is 6 core Xeons? there are 4 core Xeons..

the fact you are not aware that the silicon waffer are all the same REGARDLESS if Xeon or desktop tells me all i need to know with concern to your knowledge. (lack thereof)
the only Xeons that are not desktop parts are the itanium.

AnandTech - Intel Core i7 3960X (Sandy Bridge E) Review: Keeping the High End Alive

to quote ""If you look carefully at the die shot above, you'll notice that there are actually eight Sandy Bridge cores. The Xeon version will have all eight enabled, but the last two are fused off for SNB-E"" end quote..

more here
Xeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Xeon 3400-series processors based on Lynnfield fill the gap between the previous 3300-series "Yorkfield" processors and the newer 3500-series "Bloomfield". Like Bloomfield, they are quad-core single-package processors based on the Nehalem microarchitecture, but were introduced almost a year later, in September 2009. The same processors are marketed for mid-range to high-end desktops systems as Core i5 and Core i7.

Gainestown or Nehalem-EP, the successor to the Xeon Core microarchitecture, is based on the Nehalem microarchitecture and uses the same 45 nm manufacturing methods as Intel's Penryn. The first processor released with the Nehalem microarchitecture is the desktop Intel Core i7, which was released in November 2008. Server processors of the Xeon 55xx range were first supplied to testers in December 2008.


Gulftown or Westmere-EP, a six-core 32 nm Westmere-based processor, is the basis for the Xeon 36xx and 56xx series and the Core i7-980X.

Westmere-EX is the follow-on to Beckton/Nehalem-EX and the first Intel Chip to have ten CPU cores. The microarchitecture is the same as in the six-core Gulftown/Westmere-EP processor,

The Xeon E5-16xx processors follow the previous Xeon 3500/3600-series products as the high-end single-socket platform, using the LGA 2011 package introduced with this processor. They share the Sandy Bridge-E platform with the single-socket Core i7-38xx and i7-39xx processors. The CPU chips have no integrated GPU but eight CPU cores, some of which are disabled in the entry-level products. The Xeon E5-26xx line has the same features but also enables multi-socket operation.
/end quote from wiki.


again as i said within the same die line (in this case sandy E) ALL processors are the EXACT SAME Xeon sandy "E" desktop and "E" - Xeon same period..

so an E5 Xeon is the same as a 3930 or 3960 or 3820.

ARK | Compare Intel

the E5-1650 is the exact processor as the 3930k
the E5-1620 is the exact processor as the 3820

then you get into the Dual Xeon E-26xx series which again are the same silicon same waffer same die line as the desktop sandy.
only these have all 8 cores enabled finally (some are only 4 or 6 core)
due to the 8 cores enable they have to keep the GHz a bit lowered due to TDP.

E5 Xeons come in 4,6,8 core. as far as your 10 core 88xx series thats a 3 gen old westmere-EX processor. a 4 core E5 would kill that thing for most applications.
the E-46xx are for 4 processor servers and again are the exact same waffer/die line.

i dont care if you have a trillion $ lab you work in, the facts are the facts.
and its evident you dont know them..

FYI i also build and sell Xeons and servers, at the same time i talk 99% of the people who call about xeons out of it for audio/video as a single 6 core wil cream the Xeons all day long unless you get into heavy animation..

you may be a server guy a kudo's to you.. but when it comes to audio/video and whats best this you do not know...


Scott
ADK
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
UnMix Studio / Music Computers
7
stereobot / Music Computers
1
bassnote / Music Computers
11
Reag1502 / Music Computers
103

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.