Login / Register

Cubase 7 How Do You Like Me Now?
New Reply
Subscribe
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Wow!

Cubase/Nuendo gets their own new sub-forum. Does that officially make it a new 'industry standard DAW'....haha.

All joking aside, it's probably a good idea to wrangle all the theads to one place.

Thanks Moderators! Makes things easier.
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post

I tried the Cubase demo on Mac and I'm sorry, I found it very PC like. I suppose this is why it's so popular on PC and more efficient. I hated the way all the dialog boxes looked, and as far as industry standard, it can't hope to replace PT as long as it is missing the features Narcoman listed as mandatory in his post a few posts back.

PT is still the easiest and clearest interface out there for getting actual audio work done, all the rest are midi programs with audio capabilities to me. PT is really only looking "long in the tooth" to people coming to it expecting Logic and Cubase compositional abilities.

TH
I switched from PT/Mac to Nuendo/PC 7 or 8 years ago. I have made my living in the music business for 20 years and I mostly produce/mix real instruments (audio) with very little midi. I still own PT and use it occasionally. To me there are about 4 or 5 things about PT that are better than Nuendo and about 30 things that are better in Nuendo...using it in an audio heavy environment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
If Cubase can't improve it's Mac efficiency, it won't replace Logic. It's just crazy how much you can get Logic to accept without balking at you.

I tried the Cubase demo on Mac and I'm sorry, I found it very PC like. I suppose this is why it's so popular on PC and more efficient. I hated the way all the dialog boxes looked, and as far as industry standard, it can't hope to replace PT as long as it is missing the features Narcoman listed as mandatory in his post a few posts back.

PT is still the easiest and clearest interface out there for getting actual audio work done, all the rest are midi programs with audio capabilities to me. PT is really only looking "long in the tooth" to people coming to it expecting Logic and Cubase compositional abilities.

TH
Well, it's just a matter of time. It seems that the new Bulletproof Asio Guard does exactly the trick that Logic used all this time so we will see if it is as effective. The dialog boxes look is a subjective thing, but I wouldn't say they look like "Windows".

I cannot find what Narcoman said (can't find the post). But having worked with ProTools for multimedia and recording studios I cannot say that they have a real advantage to other DAW's. I mean, yes, Logic's audio editing is horrible but after Cubase 6.5 I cannot see why you would still want to edit an environment like ProTools. Surely, I can understand that if you are purely an audio engineer, but if you are also a producer, then there is absolutely no reason why you would choose ProTools. What I am trying to say is that Cubase gives you the best of both worlds. Clean and quick audio editing plus music composition and production capabilities. That's why I said in my previous post that it has more pros in one package than any other DAW. In my opinion it combines Logic's good midi functions and ProTools superior audio editing.

Now, DP8 seems interesting but that's another story
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
If Cubase can't improve it's Mac efficiency, it won't replace Logic. It's just crazy how much you can get Logic to accept without balking at you.

TH
I agree on the GUI. I work with Cubase and I like it. Tho, PT has the best GUI out there in my opinion. Second is Cubase, tho I have doubts about the new mixer GUI.

I hope Cubase 7 will be as efficient on Mac as Logic, but I doubt it will. Also, CoreAudio is not used by Cubase. Can't see how that can be done better on Mac. Looking forward to real live tests after 5 December...

RGH
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

The ASIO Guard / Hybrid Playback Engine is straight out of the Logic Playbook in circumnavigating the inherent issues with low latencies on OSX , with a few exception, it scales with the set buffer size and is easily disabled if preferred , also I am betting its going to be light years ahead.

Pity its come a few years too late for OSX with the direction the platform is taking.

For Windows users it will be less of a necessity , but its still very convenient by allowing you to work start to finish on a project with a set and forget low buffer setting, without upping the buffer when mixing that some require to do.

On OSX its going to be a Night and Day difference.

FWIW : AVID very quietly included a Hybrid buffer in PT10 on a previous build that I tested , just need to confirm it wasn't some guinea pig stealth testing that they have now reversed, which I have heard whispers about.. :-)

I digress,

Re Cubase not using CoreAudio, Good Grief, what do you think it uses ?

15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodium glow View Post
I switched from PT/Mac to Nuendo/PC 7 or 8 years ago. I have made my living in the music business for 20 years and I mostly produce/mix real instruments (audio) with very little midi. I still own PT and use it occasionally. To me there are about 4 or 5 things about PT that are better than Nuendo and about 30 things that are better in Nuendo...using it in an audio heavy environment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Cool. For me it reeked of PC though I did like the Warp Tool for beat mapping existing audio. I still find Logic's method much faster and easier.

TH
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
The ASIO Guard / Hybrid Playback Engine is straight out of the Logic Playbook in circumnavigating the inherent issues with low latencies on OSX , with a few exception, it scales with the set buffer size and is easily disabled if preferred , also I am betting its going to be light years ahead.

Pity its come a few years too late for OSX with the direction the platform is taking.

For Windows users it will be less of a necessity , but its still very convenient by allowing you to work start to finish on a project with a set and forget low buffer setting, without upping the buffer when mixing that some require to do.

FWIW : AVID very quietly included a Hybrid buffer in PT10 on a previous build that I tested , just need to confirm it wasn't some guinea pig stealth testing that they have now reversed, which I have heard whispers about.. :-)

I digress,

Well there goes that NDA...

TH
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderTow
Quote:
The ASIO Guard

Yep. I'm looking forward to it. Come 15-20 VSTi's and 150+ audio tracks, increasing the buffer size becomes a necessity even on my 980X/24GB rig.
It is such a pain to add anything played through a keyboard at that point...

Alistair
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Does Cubase have a VariSpeed control?

I can't believe how useful this is in Logic to play difficult parts...it slows the entire session down to whatever you want, to play mid OR audio parts at something more manageable...comes in very handy for programming fast drum fills on a keyboard, for instance. Can't believe no one else has this, though PT will play at half speed (but SLLLOOW)....Logic keeps it at original pitch.

TH
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Gear interested

Since Cubase SX 3 (almost 8 years ago) when I remember right.

Cheers
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbeuermann View Post
Since Cubase SX 3 (almost 8 years ago) when I remember right.

Cheers
How is it accessed? Is it a procedure or a simple button (like Logic) etc? I'm honestly curious. If it had that I'd be very interested in checking out Version 7, I really like the look of it.

However, this thread:
http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16415

from last year doesn't sound like it agrees with you...?
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well there goes that NDA...

TH
What NDA, its all over the Steini Forums... ;-)

16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

I was hoping to see Steinberg offer some form of 'Pattern-Based' sequencing in Cubase 7, or some new features added to the 'Arranger Track'.

So far no signs of this being true.

Oh..well, maybe they will get to this via a future update to Cubase 7.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
I was hoping to see Steinberg offer some form of 'Pattern-Based' sequencing in Cubase 7, or some new features added to the 'Arranger Track'.

So far no signs of this being true.

Oh..well, maybe they will get to this via a future update to Cubase 7.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
You mean so the program could go back in time and resemble an ancient drum machine?
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You mean so the program could go back in time and resemble an ancient drum machine?
Yes If I choose to work in that fashion.

This is great for electronic/dance ...etc. music production. (i.e. Ableton Live, the upcoming Bitwig Studio, FL-Studio, Orion, ..etc.) offer this.
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Yes
Great! Just was music needs nowadays, more of a mechanical feel!
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
But with Lots of Swing-Swing

16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Gear addict

Without having actually used the new mixer, it appears so very adhoc and disjointed from the rest of the program. I mean those type of knobs for the strip are seen nowhere else in the interface or built-in instruments. Almost appears as if a 3rd party made the mixer changes. Hopefully it functions better than it looks.
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:

DAWS with a Hybrid Playback Engine:

- Logic
- ProTools
- Samplitude
- and now Cubase

I wonder if this is eventually going to become standard in all DAWs?

Anyways, looking forward to seeing the updated benchmark results!
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

What direction is the OSX platform taking? Excuse me for not knowing.

Of course I know VST Just wondering performing wise how they compare.

RGH
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderTow
Quote:
As opposed to more guitars? Oh yeah baby! Mechanical precision for the 21st century.

Alistair
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr View Post
What direction is the OSX platform taking? Excuse me for not knowing.

Of course I know VST Just wondering performing wise how they compare.
Re the MAC platform landscape, seems to me that high end Pro Workstations are not on the iRadar , something that hasn't escaped Steinbergs attention obviously. Unless of course you can point me something more tangible than some misconstrued snippet that Tim has been quoted on.

Re VST , hang on, you clearly stated Cubase not using Core Audio , that has nothing to do with VST , one is an audio streaming protocol, one is a plugin format.

Are you now asking whether VST is as efficient as AU on OSX ?
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Oeps yes on VST.

RGH
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneCre8 View Post
Almost appears as if a 3rd party made the mixer changes. Hopefully it functions better than it looks.
That's what I was thinking too.... a bit inconsistent and.... dare I say, cheesy? Usually what happens when coders are asked to design the GUI, versus hiring a dedicated UI graphics designer.

The new mixer seems kind of a step back from the C6 mixer, in terms of appearance, though several leaps forward overall, in terms of functionality. (and ultimately, that's what will win people over...)
SLL
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
SLL
Gear maniac

I'm impressed by the new Cubase 7 look, very modern and easy for the eyes. And the new mixer looks as if it a huge improvement over the older mixer versions.

And VST Connect SE is very interesting, if I can record over the Internet, crazy
kdp
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Lives for gear

Control Room right in the Mixer. Nice!
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Lives for gear

They're finally starting to deal with the 12 year old UI, which is good. I'll mostly reserve judgement on the graphics until I see it in the real world but they made some positive steps.

Let's wait and see how many of the smaller workflow issues were addressed.
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Gear addict

Awesome, can't wait to part with my money for it. New features look great, but, the channel strip looks like a bulldog licking piss off a thistle.

I'll try anything twice
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcrugoo View Post
These updates will be available from December 5, 2012, as boxed versions at your local dealer and as download and boxed versions through the Steinberg Online Shop. Update prices will be 149 and 199 euros from Cubase 6.5 / Cubase 6, respectively, and 99 and149 euros from Cubase Artist 6.5 / Cubase Artist 6, respectively. These prices include German VAT.

Thanks for choosing Cubase!

Helge Vogt
Product Marketing Manager Cubase
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hi Mr. Vogt,

Will there be a demo version of Cubase 7 for us non-Cubase users to try? Thanks for you time. Congratz on your product. Peace

Rude people still suck & sadly they are not in short supply.
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr View Post
PT has the best GUI out there in my opinion. Second is Cubase, tho I have doubts about the new mixer GUI.
RGH
agreed, PT gui is great since it is simple and intuitively organized. It's like an old unix or dos gui. I think software companies in general are going too crazy these days with all the fancy interface graphics. It looks pretty, but it impedes workflow and is arguably slower as far as cpu and processing goes. Cubase/steinberg I think are going a bit overboard the last couple releases with all the fancy graphics. Both Apple and Microsoft are getting out of hand. I would love to just switch to Linux if they supported a popular DAW.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search