Cubase 7 How Do You Like Me Now?
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Gear addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Why would they have a great new feature that doesn't work.

I'm sure it works great

Looking forward to Cubase 7
Over the history of cubase many features need a few updates before it works good. I suspect with this heavy load of new features there will be a lot of new bugs that need to be fixed. So i dont see why this feature would be different.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Gear maniac

First thing I noticed "The completely new MixConsole excels not only in terms of usability, look and feel, but also sounds better than anything before it! " Are we just going to agree that Cubase 7 sounds better than version 6 or is it time for some null tests (only joking, I dont even know how to do a null test)

But the main thing is....im scared. It looks compleatly different, and they seem to have gone back to an integrated channel strip of VST 5. The strip has to be of Waves quality, or its a waste of time. Also, I coudnt see where the 3rd party plug ins go..Its too much too quick..
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

I love the new update and all the other stuff rolling out all around the software. VST Connect SE will be a godsend hopefully!!!

My list of purchases:
- Cubase 7 upgrade
- Absolute VST Instrument Collection
- UR28M and CMC Controllers
- Halion 4
- Sequel 3 (laptop DAW since it requires no dongle)

To sell off:
- Tascam 1082 audio interface/control surface
- Komplete 7 (Kontakt and Battery are keepers, but maybe I can find them seperately and ideally build a decent workflow with Halion4/GAO as replacements. Then I could try porting my Kontakt library to Halion 4 and Battery library to Halion 4/GAO).

The idea of being completely integrated is amazing. Still gotta have my IK T-Racks 3 Bundle tho. Hmmm...

Exxxxcellent!!! (((Mr. Burns tone)))
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
Over the history of cubase many features need a few updates before it works good. I suspect with this heavy load of new features there will be a lot of new bugs that need to be fixed. So i dont see why this feature would be different.
In the past, ok. But, the last view version we're just all very good, so that is rather history with SB now.

RGH
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjaal View Post
no u can't upgrade from 5 to 6..
u can only upgrade from 5 straight to 6.5
Aha! You are right. Well, I stand corrected then - you would in fact save $50 - assuming SB allows people to go that route.

Cheers.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Seems to me like a fantastic Cubase/Nuendo version. Looking forward to receive and to see how stable it is, how it sounds etc. I must say that my first impressions of the mixer is that I do not like it visually better then the one I have now. Seems a bit dark and the right and left part doesn't look good to me. Also, I think the design is too much out of style of my project and arrangement screen. Looks almost like two different apps. Maybe I'll have to get used to it?

RGH
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Gear Head

They really have taken notice of what people have asked for on their forums, was surprised to see the chord track as my self and a few others banged on about having something very similar like that and they've integrated it and surpassed it! Nice one Steinberg Also, love the new virtual studio so people can record with other Cubase 7 users, not to mention the NEW MIXER :D!!!!
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke44 View Post
Just to recap...

Cubase 6.5 to 7 : 149 $/Euros

so if youre on Cubase 4 or 5 right now, grab the update to 6.5 and save yourself 50 dollars!
are you sure? I think I saw it at $99 somewhere...
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon View Post
are you sure? I think I saw it at $99 somewhere...
$99 is for Artist.
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Gear maniac

New version of Cubase looks cool. Already invested in Logic, Pro Tools & Studio One. Just don't feel a need to invest in Cubase, tbh. Hope folks who use it enjoy the experience.
Led
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Led
Lives for gear

What I don't quite get is they have this massive countdown clock to yesterday or the day before, and when it gets to zero they announce it as available December 5. Should they start another countdown?
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

overall...not really impressed.

the channel strips/modules on the mixer look cheap and noobish...who is really going to use those?
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Wow , I didn't even realise this was released ! great stuff as usual from steinberg . The chord track feature looks very good as well .
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post

the channel strips/modules on the mixer look cheap and noobish...who is really going to use those?
Maybe those who judge a plugin by its sound rather than look?
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:

ahaha what? the knobs arent "pretty" enough for ya eh?
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaccona View Post
Like it or not, we are all affected by looks to a certain degree...(Not saying the new look is ugly. Well except for the Voxengo plug. Those plugs are butt ugly and I'm sure it affects Voxengo's sales and perception in the market).

Alistair
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Like it or not, we are all affected by looks to a certain degree...(Not saying the new look is ugly. Well except for the Voxengo plug. Those plugs are butt ugly and I'm sure it affects Voxengo's sales and perception in the market).

Alistair
I know that. There's probably a huge amount of people to whom good look = good sound just as expensive = better, but I try to not let that get into the way.

Wasn't there a thread on this recently?
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcrugoo View Post
These updates will be available from December 5, 2012, as boxed versions at your local dealer and as download and boxed versions through the Steinberg Online Shop. Update prices will be 149 and 199 euros from Cubase 6.5 / Cubase 6, respectively, and 99 and149 euros from Cubase Artist 6.5 / Cubase Artist 6, respectively. These prices include German VAT.

Thanks for choosing Cubase!

Helge Vogt
Product Marketing Manager Cubase
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Surely you must mean the other way around? I can't imagine it being cheaper to upgrade from the artist versions than from the full versions?
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

It's the upgrade price from Artist TO Artist series.
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai handberg View Post
ahaha what? the knobs arent "pretty" enough for ya eh?
so if you wanted to buy some expensive mixer board, and it came with cheap
crappy looking channel strips, you would buy it?
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaccona View Post

Yea? and when researching what plugin you want to buy, do you see it before you hear it?

Would you buy a ferrari that looked like a toyota?

If it something you have to look at everyday....visual appeal does matter.
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Yea? and when researching what plugin you want to buy, do you see it before you hear it?

Would you buy a ferrari that looked like a toyota?

If it something you have to look at everyday....visual appeal does matter.
I'm not audio pro, but video pro and I work with Avid everyday, for past 7 years and I think it's butt ugly, and also I think that it doesn't have anything to do with how I get my work done. I don't use Avid MC because it's esthetics, I use because it gets the work done.
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Did anyone hear if re orderable mixer channels made it into C7?
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Surrounded By Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yutaka View Post
Logic uses a hybrid buffer system where all the tracks that are not in record ready status would operate with buffer @ 1024 samples, while the armed tracks would be in whatever latency buffer you set it to.

Cubase on the other hand had the buffer set universally for the playback and recording. If you had a 24 track project @ 64 sample buffer, and you had 2 tracks armed, Logic would have 2 tracks monitored at 64 sample buffer, 22 others @ 1024 samples. Cubase would have all 24 @ 64 samples.

Cubase 7 employs a similar hybrid buffer system as Logic, so it'll perform better than how it did with the past versions on Mac. Would that make sense?
I didn't know Logic had that feature, so I didn't miss it on my Nuendo/MAC rig. But handling my rather large template is impossible with lower latencies. This looks promising, thanks for the explanation

It does mean however, that I finally need to leave SL behind and upgrade to Lion or ML (no more SL support according to the system requirements).

Who knows, maybe the Nuendo 6 release date coincides with the rumored new MAC Pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Did anyone hear if re orderable mixer channels made it into C7?

+1 That would be a welcome feature!
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Someone in another thread said the mixer looks rather like an iPad app. I think I agree. Based on what I saw so far, I don't like the gui of the mixer. For the rest seems like a cool new version.

BTW, isn't it so that Logic has Channel Strip since 2005 or so? Or am I comparing apples with peers?

Oh, I doubt new MacPro's has anything to do with Nuendo 6 or Cubase 7. I don't think Steinberg has insight info on that development.

RGH
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Gear addict

So does anybody knows will there be "render in place" function and stereo split from arrange window, instead of re-importing an audio file ?
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
It doesn't matter if I see or hear it first because my decision to buy it would be based on the sound I experience when demoing it, believe it or not!

That being said, a clumsy interface could be a turnoff for me when it's a plugin with a lot of controls.

More than the looks I could be biased based on the recommendations by others.

This seems to be a popular smiley lately, eh?
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

As a user of multiple DAW's (when working in different studios), I have to say that Cubase is currently the leading DAW in terms of innovation and workflow in my opinion. All DAW's have their pros and cons but Cubase has most pros in one package.

Version 7 seems to be a wonderful surprise for all existing users as it implements features we have been waiting for a long time (although no talk for freeze in place yet...and no sampler). If it is as stable as Cubase 6.5 then Steinberg will have a big winner with this version.

The mixer seems amazing and ergonomic. If Logic does not get updated very soon I think many people will be tempted to switch.
Now, if PT were not so popular in big recording studios I think Cubase 7 would soon become the industry standard. Actually, I think this "industry standard" think is the only label that is missing from Cubase checklist.
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorydom View Post
As a user of multiple DAW's (when working in different studios), I have to say that Cubase is currently the leading DAW in terms of innovation and workflow in my opinion. All DAW's have their pros and cons but Cubase has most pros in one package.

Version 7 seems to be a wonderful surprise for all existing users as it implements features we have been waiting for a long time (although no talk for freeze in place yet...and no sampler). If it is as stable as Cubase 6.5 then Steinberg will have a big winner with this version.

The mixer seems amazing and ergonomic. If Logic does not get updated very soon I think many people will be tempted to switch.
Now, if PT were not so popular in big recording studios I think Cubase 7 would soon become the industry standard. Actually, I think this "industry standard" think is the only label that is missing from Cubase checklist.
If Cubase can't improve it's Mac efficiency, it won't replace Logic. It's just crazy how much you can get Logic to accept without balking at you.

I tried the Cubase demo on Mac and I'm sorry, I found it very PC like. I suppose this is why it's so popular on PC and more efficient. I hated the way all the dialog boxes looked, and as far as industry standard, it can't hope to replace PT as long as it is missing the features Narcoman listed as mandatory in his post a few posts back.

PT is still the easiest and clearest interface out there for getting actual audio work done, all the rest are midi programs with audio capabilities to me. PT is really only looking "long in the tooth" to people coming to it expecting Logic and Cubase compositional abilities.

TH
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Gear maniac

interested in VST Connect SE and Hermode Tuning Technology
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search