Cubase 7 - What do you want?
thehightenor
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Cubase 7 - What do you want?

Having now almost fully migrated from Logic on a Mac to Cubase 6 on a PC workstation, I have been thinking about the things I miss in Logic that Cubase 7 needs to have.

Cubase 6 is IMHO close to being the best DAW out there but really lacks,

1. Proper VCA style groups that link sends, mutes, etc
2. Linked automation editing for multiple channels - essential!
3. The ability to swipe over the mixer to temporarily link selected channels so that all faders, pans, sends are linked whilst the channels remain selected.

These are all things that have been available in Logic for years and a seriously missing in the Cubase mixer, IMHO they are basic professional mixing features especially linked automation and proper groups that you can individually name - the current channel linking system in Cubase 6 is a joke compared to the rest of the program.

I realise Logic has had these features implemented more easily due to the fact it's mixer is made up of audio objects that by nature are linked through it's environment and I've had the guys at Steinberg tell me it's not an easy task to add these features to the Cubase mixer.

But come on Steinberg - it's now time to roll these features out - it will make Cubase into a professional mixing environment.

tht
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

personally;

VCA's.

Mixer that can show sends and inserts at the same time in a better way.

Better way of show/hide channels/tracks.

Track presets that work with multi output VI's and their associated output/input channels.

However compared to logic Cubase already is miles ahead as a mixing/editing platform.

MC
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Better grouping of mixer channels would be nice
Naming the groups like pro tools.
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

I'd settle for 64-bit Rewire support - although hopefully that will come in a 6.x update rather than having to wait for 7.
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Having now almost fully migrated from Logic on a Mac to Cubase 6 on a PC workstation, I have been thinking about the things I miss in Logic that Cubase 7 needs to have.

Cubase 6 is IMHO close to being the best DAW out there but really lacks,

1. Proper VCA style groups that link sends, mutes, etc
2. Linked automation editing for multiple channels - essential!
3. The ability to swipe over the mixer to temporarily link selected channels so that all faders, pans, sends are linked whilst the channels remain selected.

These are all things that have been available in Logic for years and a seriously missing in the Cubase mixer, IMHO they are basic professional mixing features especially linked automation and proper groups that you can individually name - the current channel linking system in Cubase 6 is a joke compared to the rest of the program.

I realise Logic has had these features implemented more easily due to the fact it's mixer is made up of audio objects that by nature are linked through it's environment and I've had the guys at Steinberg tell me it's not an easy task to add these features to the Cubase mixer.

tht
I have only ever really used cubase once I migrated from reason/fruity loops in my teens but I have used logic a bit recently.
I don't understand what you are saying is missing...
1. Group channels do link all mutes etc together
2. If you highlight a bunch of channels with record enable and write automation, doesn't it write to all channels?
3. If you highlight a bunch of channels, right click any one of them and you have the ability to link them including faders etc
I have probably misunderstood so if so please try and explain in more depth what we are missing!
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

CPTK at a reasonable price
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Gear nut

The inclusion of the Yamaha VCM vintage Plugin's and a stereo bus comp
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
ability to assign different colors to individual mixer channels.

channel crouping like in pro tools

also, group editing is a must...
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Gear maniac

A VST bridge which actually works. What they offer is very poor and many big brands such as Waves are incompatible. The support and forum representatives seem determined to just shrug this one off and blame third party's for not meeting them half way. But it seems clear that if Jbridge can do it they could offer something a little better than they do.

Also when you jump to a position on a track in cubase and you land on a part, it does not play from where you have landed, but instead plays the section from the beginning. This can be useful to no one as the track often ends up playing out of sync. It would be nice to see all parts playing from the position as indicated right from the off.

Update FX plug ins. All with nice contemporary GUI's.
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

in a years time there'll be no need for a bridge, it's the plugin manufacturers who are to blame here not steinberg.

you can colour mixer tracks already, and there's coloured fader caps for different types of track.

as of v6 there's a new group editing method, check out the multitrack drum quantising videos as a great example. Tutorial: Multitrack drum editing in Cubase 6 - YouTube

MC
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddfodder View Post
Also when you jump to a position on a track in cubase and you land on a part, it does not play from where you have landed, but instead plays the section from the beginning. This can be useful to no one as the track often ends up playing out of sync. It would be nice to see all parts playing from the position as indicated right from the off.

I think you've got some screwy prefs going on there, works as excepted here.

mc
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear
Automation colour lines in the same lane. I do not like to see one channel with 7 lanes all displaying a different automationline. Such a waiste of the screen to me.
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
I think you've got some screwy prefs going on there, works as excepted here.

mc
Yeah you can change the settings for that in preferences. Logic defaults to that setting so maybe someone who is used to those settings changed it?
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Gear addict

1 - above all else, ARA support! so we can have instant drag and drop audio to midi tracks and direct melodyne integration, because everyone else will have it soon, it's a workflow changer.
2 - better freeze workflow or alternative (see Studio one2 for a better alternative)
3 - a single window workflow, at the very least being able to have the drum editor and mixer docked in the project view. (edit in place is a joke)
4 - more drag and drop implementation.

I already have enough 3rd party plugs so if it doesn't have most of these things I'll just keep working with studio one 2 like I've been doing, I'm enjoying it immensely.

Bonus - I know it will never happen but the ability to authorize a laptop without a dongle.
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Gear maniac

1.more cleaner look on a mixer
2.drag and drop
3.better osx support-performance (Cubase 6 on a PC rocks).
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Vca's.
Audio to midi drag and drp.
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samicide View Post
1 - above all else, ARA support! so we can have instant drag and drop audio to midi tracks and direct melodyne integration, because everyone else will have it soon, it's a workflow changer.
2 - better freeze workflow or alternative (see Studio one2 for a better alternative)
3 - a single window workflow, at the very least being able to have the drum editor and mixer docked in the project view. (edit in place is a joke)
4 - more drag and drop implementation.

I already have enough 3rd party plugs so if it doesn't have most of these things I'll just keep working with studio one 2 like I've been doing, I'm enjoying it immensely.

Bonus - I know it will never happen but the ability to authorize a laptop without a dongle.
1:ARA-melodyne...more turd polishing tools IMHO, cubase' built in vari audio or pitch correction plugin works fine for correcting poor performances already.

2:never used freeze and I've been using cubase since pro 24

3:i don't like single window use as I've always had at least 2 monitors

4: more drag and drop would be cool.

just show's you how difficult it must be to keep everyone happy

MC
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Gear maniac

Please someone correct me if this is already in C6 and I'm just ignorant to the method, but I want a quick way to insert a plugin or route sends on all selected tracks at the same time. Having to insert VCC one track at a time is annoying. After playing with PT10 for a few minutes I figured out the quick key to accomplish this and I'm really debating about using PT solely for mixing purposes now.
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
1:ARA-melodyne...more turd polishing tools IMHO, cubase' built in vari audio or pitch correction plugin works fine for correcting poor performances already.

variaudio sucks compared to meldoyne, it's not even close.. and it's not about turd polishing it's about creativity and things like instant drag and drop audio to midi, amongst other things.

Quote:
2:never used freeze and I've been using cubase since pro 24
good for you, but plug ins are still ahead of cpu capabilities so again it's about having room to be more creative.

Quote:
3:i don't like single window use as I've always had at least 2 monitors
2 monitors or not a single window option is faster.
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post
Automation colour lines in the same lane. I do not like to see one channel with 7 lanes all displaying a different automationline. Such a waiste of the screen to me.
Yes!
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

it can a big mess though if all your automation is in one lane, Reaper was like this in the beginning and everyone bitched to get it changed to how cubase/Pro tools now is,there is an option though I think for the old behavior.

MC
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Gear maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revson View Post
Please someone correct me if this is already in C6 and I'm just ignorant to the method, but I want a quick way to insert a plugin or route sends on all selected tracks at the same time. Having to insert VCC one track at a time is annoying. After playing with PT10 for a few minutes I figured out the quick key to accomplish this and I'm really debating about using PT solely for mixing purposes now.
select all desired channels, hold alt+shift when inserting plugin/ selecting aux
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

In addition to the other suggestion, I would like to see :

* New Great Sounding Synths/VIs, with cool new GUI's, and more sample content.

* New VCM based built-in Effects, and possibly VCM modeling based built-in Virtual Instruments.

* Take the 'Arranger Track' concept to the next level. and offer more of a 'Pattern Based' sequencing capability, to complement the Linear Sequencer. The 'Arranger Track' has not been improved, or developed further for quite a while. It can offer a lot of interesting, and helpful functionality to Cubase 7.

* Workflow improvements. It seems like most DAWs these days are going with the single/consolidated window GUI design, where everything is consolidated in one screen, not sure if Cubase 7 will offer this, but I wouldn't mind a change in this direction, but keeping the option of opening any editor window in as separate window if needed.

* Possibly some new editing tools that will help speed up editing data.

* Melodyne DNA integration like Studio One (V2).
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Industry recognition. Yamaha needs to earn respect here especially from die hard PT users. So whatever the marketing team has in stock had better be great!
Minor:
better CPU usage with Mac
Pro looking mixing windows
Side chain
Nicer compressors. Eqs and reverbs are cool.
As someone said, ability to be host and client in rewire this is a huge marketshare
An OMF arrangement with Avid
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

side chaining's been there for a while.

MC
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Gear maniac

Tabs - An end to trying to find things with Windows all over each other (on top, not on top etc).

Melodyne integration - Or just better audio handling. I don't agree with those who think the current audio handling is adequate (esp with regards to time-stretching and sync'ing that audio). Either integrate Melodyne or "buy" them!

The ability to save sends with a Track preset?

The ability to save multiple tracks as a multi-Preset (which would, eg, make it possible to layer sounds with different VST's and recall it as a preset).

The ability to save only sends or inserts as a preset, then allow recall inside the mixer.

An integrated equivalent to something like Protools Heat, plus maybe optional "character" EQ integrated on the mixer.

Better automation handling, especially something which more easily allows "flexible" pattern creation in automation lanes.

Nicer/easier Audio editing - Integrating a feature limited Wavelab into Cubase would be excellent if the integration was handled well. Must even basic audio manipulation be such a pain compared with using Wavelab?

Yamaha - Using their muscle to bundle some nice things with Cubase which put its included plugins bundle above all others with little "dispute".
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

The ability to color the entire channel
Vca groups would be nice
Assign multiple outputs for each strip (you can do it with groups but not outputs)
Fix the MIDI timing problem.
Overall, I love it tho.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
it can a big mess though if all your automation is in one lane, Reaper was like this in the beginning and everyone bitched to get it changed to how cubase/Pro tools now is,there is an option though I think for the old behavior.

MC
And works really well too.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
However compared to logic Cubase already is miles ahead as a mixing/editing platform.
Mixing:
Very few of the bundled plugins sound good, you´d have to use 3rd party plugins for nearly all tasks to get comparable or better performance than Logic´s stock plugs.
With the best 3rd party plugins you can get even way better performance than in Logic - but on stock plugs Logic is lightyears ahead.
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Gear maniac

I do agree that an option for a consolidated window view like Logic/Ableton would be great. Or tabs at least as someone already suggested.
I personally use two screens (and the 'big minimised window' trick!) to overcome the frustration of losing windows behind things all the time but I think it would be great to have the option for either approach.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search