Cubase 7 - What do you want?
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
No offense to many that are posting but I think that many of you haven't read the manual or spend time at Steinberg.net on the Forums because many of the features that have been mentioned already exist.

It's a very deep program.
Exactly.
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I created a color palette almost a decade ago that features more than 35 colors. I created each color and gave each color a name (i.e., Double Bass, Cello 1, Verse Vocal, Guitars, etc.).

It's completely customizable and can be saved as a default in that screen and along with templates.

Color Button>Select Colors>Insert New Color>Modify Color>Save Current Set as Program Default

-----------------------------------------------------------

No offense to many that are posting but I think that many of you haven't read the manual or spend time at Steinberg.net on the Forums because many of the features that have been mentioned already exist.

It's a very deep program.
Mike,

you weren't the guy who posted this on the nuendo forum are you? I remember around Nuendo 2 someone posting a really cool colour palate like you mentioned.

To be honest since going from Nunedo 4 to cubase 6 I' e lost some of the old working methods so I need to go back and visit the whole colour palate thing.

would be nice to share some palates :D

MC
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post

would be nice to share some palates :D

MC
+1 for this. I created my own but I'm not that pleased with it. That's probably why I do music and not art...
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Gear addict

- better vst x86 support under cubase x64. i am angry when i started lexicon, soundtoys or waves under 64 bits. frustrating!!!!!
- dry/wet for plugins
- insert presets sorting
- multipple output for instrument tracks
- FIXED pitch envelope (mpex suxx! change it to zplane!!!)
- inegrated Melodyne (vari audio suxx)
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Mike,

you weren't the guy who posted this on the nuendo forum are you? I remember around Nuendo 2 someone posting a really cool colour palate like you mentioned.
I was a member of the Nuendo forum and jumped right from Cubase VST 5.1 to Nuendo 2 (skipping N1) but I don't recall if I posted a color palette on the forum or not. That was almost a decade ago.

Wow, a decade! Geez, time flies!
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andivax View Post
- better vst x86 support under cubase x64. i am angry when i started lexicon, soundtoys or waves under 64 bits. frustrating!!!!!
J-Bridge

Quote:
- dry/wet for plugins
No. Sends and returns are at 50%, Inserts are at 100%. Learn to use them properly.

Quote:
- insert presets sorting
Um, this has been available since at least Nuendo 4/Cubase 4. What version are you using?

Quote:
- inegrated Melodyne (vari audio suxx)
Integrated? Inserting Melodyne on track is difficult?

And do you expect Yahama to purchase Celemony?
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was a member of the Nuendo forum and jumped right from Cubase VST 5.1 to Nuendo 2 (skipping N1) but I don't recall if I posted a color palette on the forum or not. That was almost a decade ago.

Wow, a decade! Geez, time flies!

ha, I've still got my Nuendo 1 and surround addition in a box here, it's the most beautifully packaged software I've ever owned. I don't know what to do with it, it seems a crime to throw it away!!

MC
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Super Moderator

My Studio

Waves fail to play nice even with j-bridge in 64bit Cubase.

Why cant some peolpe reply to others without being smart asses and coming across as jerks?

Graham
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
J-Bridge

No. Sends and returns are at 50%, Inserts are at 100%. Learn to use them properly.

Um, this has been available since at least Nuendo 4/Cubase 4. What version are you using?

Integrated? Inserting Melodyne on track is difficult?

And do you expect Yahama to purchase Celemony?

you are very cranky like a child in a bad mood or an adult that never gets laid, but anyway if you want to learn something look up ARA integration and save yourself some embarrassment, because yes you are embarrassing yourself in some of your posts.. variaudio sucks compared to melodyne..

all plugs should have a dry/wet knob.
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

as i said previously there's no point for companies like Steinberg working on a bridge, it won't be long before all plugins will be x64, I'm sure no one still puts effort into making PPC plugins on the Mac side. I'm working fully x64, if I want to use waves ot other x86 plugs then i just open up my project in cubase/reaper/pro tools x86 and mix it there. I track/compose/work up to mix in x64 programs.

It also makes good working practice as I have to bounce all VI/Midi parts to audio before I make a new 'mix' project.

MC
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samicide View Post
you are very cranky like a child in a bad mood or an adult that never gets laid, but anyway if you want to learn something look up ARA integration and save yourself some embarrassment, because yes you are embarrassing yourself in some of your posts.. variaudio sucks compared to melodyne..

all plugs should have a dry/wet knob.
Wow, I'm really sorry my words wounded you personally.

I'm WORKING. I responded quickly and as I far as I know, nothing I posted is incorrect.

And thanks for the personal insults. They've added greatly to the conversation.
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Wow, I'm really sorry my words wounded you personally.

I'm WORKING. I responded quickly and as I far as I know, nothing I posted is incorrect.

And thanks for the personal insults. They've added greatly to the conversation.

You're welcome.

As long as you learned something that's all that matters.. so if you looked up melodyne ARA integration you'll hopefully no longer have foolish things to say like your previous quote because, now you know the difference.
Quote:
Integrated? Inserting Melodyne on track is difficult? And do you expect Yahama to purchase Celemony?
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're welcome.

As long as you learned something that's all that matters.. so if you looked up melodyne ARA integration you'll hopefully no longer have foolish things to say like your previous quote
Do you what's even worse than your rudeness? The fact that this silly thread is on Gearslutz and not in the Steinberg forum.

As a Celemony customer since 2006, I'm aware of their recent release of ARA integration. I didn't have time to go into depth and since that member was unfamiliar with several other aspects of Cubase that currently exists, I wasn't going to throw something else at him as well.

And the only person that should be embarrassed is you. Your manners leave much to be desired.

Furthermore, I can't tell if you don't understand the concept of Send/Returns versus Inserts or if you're being flippant. Every Time-Based plugin that I own (Waves, PSP, Lexicon, etc.) has the ability to determine the output mix of said plugin. As I stated earlier, Inserts are at 100% and Send/Returns at 50%. That's the way consoles have been designed (as well as DAW's) for decades.

I'm not sure why I'd need a "Wet/Dry" knob on a compressor or channel strip, but you seem to consider yourself smart, so why don't you explain it to all of us dummies?
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
As a Celemony customer since 2006, I'm aware of their recent release of ARA integration.
if that's the case then why would you say something so ignorant like you said ***"Integrated? Inserting Melodyne on track is difficult? And do you expect Yahama to purchase Celemony?"***

If you've been using melodyne since 2006 like I have then you would know how much of a pain in the ass it is to use because you lose all normal editing functions within the host and you can't even cut copy or paste until you bounce it out of melodyne, so one would think ara integration would be high on your priority list too, so it seems puzzling why you had such a dumb reply to the other guy. ARA integration means a whole new way of working with melodyne, and it's a pleasure to use in studio one version 2, I want it in cubase, and so should anyone who uses melodyne. that's without even mentioning instant drag and drop audio to midi.. currently only direct melodyne integration makes this possible, it's already in studio one and it's coming to other hosts in the future.

Quote:
I'm not sure why I'd need a "Wet/Dry" knob on a compressor or channel strip, but you seem to consider yourself smart, so why don't you explain it to all of us dummies?
wet/dry knobs make everything easier, I want it for the sme reason anyone else would, so.. I.. could.. have.. the.. option... of.. adjusting.. how.. much.. of.. the.. effect... I.. want.. mixed.. with.. the.. original.. signal.. Sometimes it's neater and easier than busses, plus you can freeze tracks with effects, you can't do that with sends.

even Dave Pensado said he believes every plug should have this functionality. Look him up if you don't know who he is.
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you've been using melodyne since 2006 like I have then you would know how much of a pain in the ass it is to use because you lose all normal editing functions within the host and you can't even cut copy or paste until you bounce it out of melodyne, so one would think ara integration would be high on your priority list too, so it seems puzzling why you had such a dumb reply to the other guy. ARA integration means a whole new way of working with melodne, and it's a pleasure to use in studio one version 2, I want it in cubase, and so should anyone who uses melodyne.
Quite honestly, I think Melodyne is extremely easy to use as an insert. I comp vocals before the need for Melodyne (which is rare, fortunately) and have never found it to be difficult, whatsoever.

If you want ARA integration in Cubase, visit the Steinberg forum and tell the moderators. Posting on Gearslutz probably won't do much good.

Quote:
Iwet/dry knobs make everything easier, I want it for the sme reason anyone else would, so.. I.. could.. have.. the.. option... of.. adjusting.. how.. much.. of.. the.. effect... I.. want.. mixed.. with.. the.. original.. signal.. Sometimes it's neater and easier than buses, plus you can freeze tracks with effects, you can't do that with sends.
How difficult is it to open the plugin and set the Mix level? I don't get it how this is difficult, nor do I see a reason for it.

These "issues" don't seem to be issues, whatsoever, from my point of view.
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
If you want ARA integration in Cubase, visit the Steinberg forum and tell the moderators. Posting on Gearslutz probably won't do much good.

My several requests were ignored by steinberg, I asked when or if and never got a reply. I stopped requesting it and now I mainly talk about how happy I am to be using it in studio one, as well as all the other studio one features that make cubase seem like a dinosaur..
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
My several requests were ignored by steinberg, I asked when or if and never got a reply. I stopped requesting it and now I mainly talk about how happy I am to be using it in studio one.
Really? Well that sucks. Are you going to NAMM? If so, maybe you could suggest it to them at the booth.

I'll send a note off next week. I know several people there in Anaheim. I can't see why Steinberg wouldn't want to integrate it at some point. C7 may be too far along in development but I would think that by C8, it would be standard.

Either that or they just don't care, which is always possible.
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Really? Well that sucks. Are you going to NAMM? If so, maybe you could suggest it to them at the booth.

I'll send a note off next week. I know several people there in Anaheim. I can't see why Steinberg wouldn't want to integrate it at some point. C7 may be too far along in development but I would think that by C8, it would be standard.

Either that or they just don't care, which is always possible.

I wish I was going to namm, I live in new york. my guess why they haven't replied about it is because they will probably continue trying to play catch up with variaudio just like they've been doing for years, and by the time variaudio gets anything even remotely close to this functionality celemony will have done something else new and innovative, variaudio is very far behind melodyne and it will never catch up, but steinberg are a stubborn company. IMO, the only thing they have over other hosts is the drum editor, if it wasn't for that I would dump them altogether faster than you could say 'dongle free'
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wish I was going to namm, I live in new york. my guess why they haven't replied about it is because they will probably continue trying to play catch up with variaudio just like they've been doing for years, and by the time variaudio gets anything even remotely close to this functionality celemony will have done something else new and innovative, variaudio is very far behind melodyne and it will never catch up, but steinberg are a stubborn company. IMO, the only thing they have over other hosts is the drum editor, if it wasn't for that I would dump them altogether faster than you could say 'dongle free'
NAMM used to be a blast back in the late 80's to around 2000 or so. IMO, it hasn't been much fun and for the most part, you can find everything out about gear on the internet.

You're not missing much these days except for expensive, bad food at the Hilton, $30 a night parking and extremely sore feet from walking around 10 hours a day for 3 days!
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

Hey Mike,

Not taking sides here in your epic battle with Sami, but some plugs (like comps) don't have a mix knob. There's a tendency (not necessarily with you) for experienced engineers to maybe unfairly dismiss some things because they haven't worked that way. It usually ends with a "How hard is it to...?" question which in many cases is a bit of a straw man. A thing need not be hard to begin with to improve subjectively.

It's just an additional option. Where you may not have to use two tracks for parallel compression or something.

Thanks. You guys can continue strangling each other now.
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus909 View Post
You do realize you can customize the colors right? Thats one of the first things I did when I got Cubase... got rid of the stock palette and created my own custom colors.
Yes I do and I've also customized it. But sometimes it gets messed up with project from outside and it could have been just a bit broader by default. No biggie, these are just colors.
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Hey Mike,

Not taking sides here in your epic battle with Sami, but but some plugs (like comps) don't have a mix knob. There's a tendency (not necessarily you) for experienced engineers to maybe unfairly dismiss some things because they haven't worked that way. It usually ends with a "How hard is it to...?" question which in many cases is a bit of a straw man. A thing need not be hard to begin with to improve subjectively.

Thanks. You guys can continue strangling each other now.
Right. That's because hardware compressors, for the most part, don't have a mix knob, either (I'm struggling to think of a compressor that actually does have a mix knob).

Compressors are used as inserts, not send and returns. Most of the software compressors out there, especially the 3rd party software compressor, model or emulate classic hardware, none of which have a "Mix" knob.

Now with that said, I could see how it could be cool for someone that mixes ITB to have on their 2 buss compressor, much like the way I have my Vintech 609ca on the two buss of my Neve 8816, which has a "Mix" knob for dialing in compression to taste. But with proper gain staging and settings, it's generally not necessary.

But hey, it's a new world out there.
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Yes I do and I've also customized it. But sometimes it gets messed up with project from outside and it could have been just a bit broader by default. No biggie, these are just colors.
Just make sure that once you create a new color map to save it as a default. As long as you have an older project with that color map, you can open it and save that as a default.
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks... yep that's what I do.

These points are the real issue for me:

Quote:
5) stereo external effects usable as dual mono (why on earth doesn't that work allready???), I have external effects for stereo and 2 mono separately and manually change the inputs/outputs to what I need at the moment. Together with external effects connections not saved in the session, this is one big pain.

6) recording from one side of stereo group into mono track. Why I can only select mono groups/fxsends to record record from on mono track? There should be L and R mono selectable like it is with input channels.
I haven't find any <oxymoron>elegant workarounds</oxymoron> for that.
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

Anything exciting from Steinberg announced at Winter NAMM 2012 ?

Any Cubase updates ? or new VST Instruments ? Halion 4 Sample Libraries ? ...?
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

Another feature that I would really love to see in Cubase:

Pitch envelope for every audio track.
Like Logic's but even better. I don't believe that Logic's is a good implementation either.

I imagine it could work like an automation lane, so that the user could draw pitch curves.

This would make tape slowdown effects and other interesting manipulations very easy and creative.

Right now there is no equivalent to Logic's pitch down envelope. Only pitch shift from the offline process menu, but , as already mentioned, it is far from brilliant.
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
How did I "disrespect" your opinion?

And why would you want Cubase or Nuendo to look like Pro Tools? Just use PT and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Personally I would love it if they had colored strips ala Protools.

Well Dman, I guess we're going to have to get ProTools
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
I stopped requesting it and now I mainly talk about how happy I am to be using it in studio one, as well as all the other studio one features that make cubase seem like a dinosaur..
Yeah what a dinosaur... too bad Cubase 6 doesn't have all those cool features that Studio One V2 has like VST Note Expression, Midi Plugins, Arranger Track , Control Room, Drum Editor, Media Bay, Project Logical Editor, Folder and Lane Comping, Global Transpose (audio & midi), Offline Effects Processing... c'mon Steinberg get with the times!
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Gear nut

user-definable vst EQ on each channel instead of just the built in steinberg one
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search