New Reply
Subscribe
22nd November 2012
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumwer View Post
If i want to see the GUI of the synth i need to press
another time with the mouse on the instruments button aside the mixer-fader.
You don't have to do that. Just create a key command to open the synth GUI.

I've created shortcuts for the "e" (editor) and the synth GUI.

W = for the synth GUI
E = for the editor

Its convenient for me having them right next to each other on the keyboard.
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus909 View Post
You don't have to do that. Just create a key command to open the synth GUI.

I've created shortcuts for the "e" (editor) and the synth GUI.

W = for the synth GUI
E = for the editor

Its convenient for me having them right next to each other on the keyboard.
I get the synth GUI, but what editor do you mean?
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav View Post
I get the synth GUI, but what editor do you mean?
I meant the "e" button at the top of the inspector. I guess its called "Edit Channel Setting".
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderTow
The channel Editor (or whatever It's called) only needs to exist because the inspector and mixers were so badly designed! If Steinberg redesign the Inspector, the Editor can go. (Or at least never needs to be opened again). It is a waste of space, a needless extra click, just a general nuisance.

Alistair

"There's a sucker born every minute" -- P.T. Barnum
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Alistair

With your work flow you may want to not use it. The channel edit settings window is THE way to be able to really see Everyting on my selected channel.
I would never want to live without it.
The inspector will never be able to show as much info at the same time on a single channel.
and a complete picture department with online, grading and more based on Mistika.
http://www.europasoundvision.se
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
The channel Editor (or whatever It's called) only needs to exist because the inspector and mixers were so badly designed! If Steinberg redesign the Inspector, the Editor can go. (Or at least never needs to be opened again). It is a waste of space, a needless extra click, just a general nuisance.

Alistair
hmm... I'm a dock hater. I hide the inspector and always have the channel editor open on another monitor.
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
Alistair

With your work flow you may want to not use it. The channel edit settings window is THE way to be able to really see Everyting on my selected channel.
I would never want to live without it.
The inspector will never be able to show as much info at the same time on a single channel.
Well that is the thing. The Sonar Inspector managed to show everything. It is possible. Pro Tools gets most of the way too in it's own way. IMO the Cubase Inspector makes inefficient use of space. I think most of the stuff can fit in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcecil View Post
hmm... I'm a dock hater. I hide the inspector and always have the channel editor open on another monitor.
I think everyone has their own way of working and I wouldn't want to impose my way on anyone else. I certainly don't want the Channel Editor removed but I think it has gotten in the way of Steinberg making better use of the Inspector area. They assume that everyone is happy with having the Editor open. I would prefer not to ever have to open an extra window. I don't even want to use the Mixer if I can avoid it. (As was possible in Sonar. Everything available directly in the Inspector or the channel itself).

PS: But I realise my preference isn't for everyone. I love high density information. I even did a mock design for Sonar X1 when it came out because I felt there just wasn't enough stuff:

This is the original X1 track header area:

I would have loved ro have something like this:

Heh.

Alistair
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
I love high density information. I even did a mock design for Sonar X1 when it came out because I felt there just wasn't enough stuff:
, I can't stand that interface you linked ... here is my mixing template .. VSTs will be on a 3rd monitor to the left. And the mixer has been known to be across all 3 monitors when dealing with orchestration with a ton or articulations.
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear nut

All I really want is for Cubase to make the MIDI editor and the Mediabay floatable so I can put them full screen on the side monitors. If they did that, I think the customization would be hard to beat between the inspectors and screen placement options. It's just those last few relic child windows that are futzing things up.
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear maniac

I just came back from a hands on workshop of cubase 7. to give y'all a mental note of a couple of the first impressions....

1) The new features are cool if you are just starting to get into itb music production. If you already have a workflow, the new stuff is not really interesting all that much.
2) the chord (aranger) options are cool, but I found you need a lot of mouse clicks to make the system do what you want.
3)the mixconsole, although nicely updated with a couple of neat options, gives a rather childish impression and because of this it didn't instantly grow on me and instead hindered me in focussing on creative work to be done.
csl
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
csl
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearowner View Post
I just came back from a hands on workshop of cubase 7. to give y'all a mental note of a couple of the first impressions....
Does it handle multiple windows any more elegantly this time, or has that not changed?
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Gear interested

Thanks Marcus909, i just found that in 1) the audio mixer and audio inserts where clicked away. So now it works, 'cause if falsely used the "e" button instead of the button unterneath the "e" button on the cc121, which brings me in both 1) or 2) into the instrument gui. No shortcuts needed. But at least those inserts and the mixer should be scalable in C7, so the space i need is used properly.

cheers n thanks
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Well that is the thing. The Sonar Inspector managed to show everything. It is possible. Pro Tools gets most of the way too in it's own way. IMO the Cubase Inspector makes inefficient use of space. I think most of the stuff can fit in there.

I think everyone has their own way of working and I wouldn't want to impose my way on anyone else. I certainly don't want the Channel Editor removed but I think it has gotten in the way of Steinberg making better use of the Inspector area. They assume that everyone is happy with having the Editor open. I would prefer not to ever have to open an extra window. I don't even want to use the Mixer if I can avoid it. (As was possible in Sonar. Everything available directly in the Inspector

PS: But I realise my preference isn't for everyone. I love high density information. I even did a mock design for Sonar X1 when it came out because I felt there just wasn't enough stuff:

This is the original X1 track header area:

I would have loved ro have something like this:

Heh.

Alistair
I agree with you all the way. I'd rather never have to use the mixer at all. I think it's weird they chose to focus on that part of the program. Oh well.
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to diogo_c
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxy View Post
I'd rather never have to use the mixer at all. I think it's weird they chose to focus on that part of the program. Oh well.
Different strokes for different folks: I really like using the mixer and IMHO the new one is a big step forward. If the included strip modules are good-sounding, I'll be having a lot of fun with that.
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Uhhh...isnt it out today?

Whats the scooooooopz???!!
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 View Post
Uhhh...isnt it out today?

Whats the scooooooopz???!!
Tomorrow

Graham
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Tomorrow is the day of the days
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Gear interested

just testing it ... needed good 20' to get comfy with the plugins root. At the first hour nothing new. Well ... later
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumwer View Post
just testing it ... needed good 20' to get comfy with the plugins root. At the first hour nothing new. Well ... later
"plugins root"?

Is that like the plugin "path"? Whats different about that.

How u like the new mixer + channel strip?

https://soundcloud.com/jasonlees/thinkn-about-u-25a-101413-l1-1?in=jasonlees/sets/demos-1
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Gear interested

sorry jlird i've misspelled. Youre correct i ment plugin path. However, a fresh start solved the missing linked plugins. I cant tell very much, for that short amount of time, but the control room monitor looks good including the peak meter it has inside. But it obviously took me 10 minutes to find out where i must add my ARC plugin in that section.

Nothing really special for that short time, and i also noticed that there are issues with timing by having a few audiofiles when working within the key editor of another track. Pressing the "1" key solves the issue, but i had no such thing with C5, C6, C6.5. However give this soft a month to reflect ... Some folks have had even crashes afair in the net so ... it's a 7.0.0 version ... there are surely more to come (this time for free)

Add:
... and I think it will be fist a grown-up C7 Version when Nuendo 6 will be released. I can not get rid of my suspicion that C7 users are paying indirectly for beeing the official "paying" betatesters of the future Nuendo 6 release ... And since the price of Nuendo is that high, i'm not surprised, why cubase gets so much add-ons with VST-Instruments + high update charge instead of beeing a more a Sequencer software package.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Head

Send a message via ICQ to tanov Send a message via Skype™ to tanov
1) Adding event normalize (not processing) will be helpful. Currently only volume can be adjusted by handle (+/-), and clipping is judged by viewing the waveform only.
2) Adding event-based real-time effects as it is in Sony Vegas. Currently only track-based fx are supported. It will simplify the mastering workflow, also instead of using track automation you can draw event volume envelopes, which will be applied post-event fx.

64bit Win7 desktop 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Cubase 5.5
2 x Yamaha N12
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

After having lived with Cubase 7 for a while, I'll tell you what I want most of all: for projects to open and close in a reasonable time. I compared the open/load/close times to 6.5 and they are quite different:

Opening and Closing Program

• Launch: 00.14.31
  • Close: 00.04.09

• Launch: 00.57.06
  • Close: 00.30.87

MIDI Only (Small Project 64-bit VSTi Non-Bridged)
  • 6.5.1 Open: 00:18:04
  • 6.5.1 Close: 00:04:90
  • 7.0.1 Open: 01:03:54
  • 7.0.1 Close: 00:35:55

Sample Project: Audio & MIDI (1.8 GB)
  • 6.5.1 Open: 00:48:82
  • 6.5.1 Close: 00:06:43
  • 7.0.1 Open: 02:33:09
  • 7.0.1 Close: 00:58:32

Waiting to hear what Steinberg tech support has to say.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Head

Send a message via ICQ to tanov Send a message via Skype™ to tanov
I already bought C7, but still use C5
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Been a Cubase user for years, and there's no disputing the power of the software. It is as complete a production system as any, but WOAH! They made the mixer just horrendous to look at! I used to think GUIs were just fluffy polish added to increase sales but when you stare at a screen for a long time I now realize how disconcerting such an ugly layout can be. What an awful change! lol

Been getting more and more used to Studio One and for the time being I will be usung it some more.

Cubase is probably the best package out there all around, but they need a new aesthetics department for sure.

www.gearautopsy.com
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanov View Post
1) Adding event normalize (not processing) will be helpful. Currently only volume can be adjusted by handle (+/-), and clipping is judged by viewing the waveform only.
Nice one.

Quote:
2) Adding event-based real-time effects as it is in Sony Vegas. Currently only track-based fx are supported. It will simplify the mastering workflow, also instead of using track automation you can draw event volume envelopes, which will be applied post-event fx.
Just in case you didn't know, you can do clip based level automation currently:

Alistair
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Cubase is probably the best package out there all around, but they need a new aesthetics department for sure.
IMO they need a new GUI department. Not just for the aesthetics. (I'm happy with the key-commands, macros and general engine on Cubase 6.5).

Alistair
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Gear interested

trashed the cc121 for c7 and got the Avid artist and control v2 controllers instead ... very comfy and besides that i still think c7 users are the brainburners for the nuendo versioneerz. I probably will go for nuendo soon as well.
29th March 2013
Old 29th March 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunt View Post
I have only ever really used cubase once I migrated from reason/fruity loops in my teens but I have used logic a bit recently.
I don't understand what you are saying is missing...
1. Group channels do link all mutes etc together
2. If you highlight a bunch of channels with record enable and write automation, doesn't it write to all channels?
3. If you highlight a bunch of channels, right click any one of them and you have the ability to link them including faders etc
I have probably misunderstood so if so please try and explain in more depth what we are missing!
This is true..Amen!
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
Lives for gear

1. Being able to turn on\off external midi gears without reopening cubase (w7) to detect it.
2. Bounce in place
(3. Padshop granular technology into halion 4)
Corsair hydro series H100

RME Fireface UFX + Fireface 800
Cubase 7.5 (x64) - Live 9 (x64)
Neve 8816 summing mixer - Genelec 1031 A / 1092 A
Subphatty - Tempest - Minibrute
Supernova 2 - JP-8000
Keith McMillen QUNEO - NI Maschine mkI
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
Lives for gear

1. Being able to turn on\off external midi gears without reopening cubase (w7) to detect it.
2. Bounce in place
(3. Padshop granular technology into halion 4)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search