Ethernet cabling for Rednet/AES50 network
Old 4th June 2014
Gear interested

Ethernet cabling for Rednet/AES50 network

Afternoon chaps,

We are planning to re-wire our Studio to create four separate networks between our eight rooms terminating in a machine room. This will be to carry Rednet/Dante and the more affordable Behringer X32/AES50 networks so we can record from any room into any other room. That's the idea...

Just wondering if anyone has experience of what sort of ethernet cable to run? I'll probably choose CAT6, just to future proof. But solid or braided copper? Shielded or unshielded?

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated!
Old 14th June 2014
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam69 View Post
Afternoon chaps,

We are planning to re-wire our Studio to create four separate networks between our eight rooms terminating in a machine room. This will be to carry Rednet/Dante and the more affordable Behringer X32/AES50 networks so we can record from any room into any other room. That's the idea...

Just wondering if anyone has experience of what sort of ethernet cable to run? I'll probably choose CAT6, just to future proof. But solid or braided copper? Shielded or unshielded?

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated!
Cat6 under 300 feet is perfect. I think I remember reading in the manual that shielding does not matter.

That being said, I'm having some issues with my system. It seems I have to boot my system twice if I want rednet control to see my rednet2 to access settings.
Old 16th June 2014
Gear interested

Yeah - I'm going to go with Cat6. Not worth putting in less and no point in putting fancier stuff.

Definitely worth contacting Focusrite about that, it shouldn't be happening. I've always found them really approachable.
Old 16th June 2014
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search