To Ed tracking Elec. gtr.
tubehead
23rd November 2005
Old 23rd November 2005
Lives for gear

To Ed tracking Elec. gtr.

Ed, I've read that you don't really double track gtrs too often anymore. How do you track elec. gtrs. these days? 1 mic, 2 or 3 in close proximity and what mics?

Thanks.
28th November 2005
Old 28th November 2005
Guest Moderator

Hi Tubehead......I have used 2, 3, 4 and more microphones at once.....lately, I just try to get the amp sounding right and use a Royer 121 about 6 inches off of the speaker, and that seems to be working....unless we're really looking for something odder than just the sound of the amp.
best,
ed
tubehead
29th November 2005
Old 29th November 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply Ed. I love your work! What volume are you usally tracking at with that Royer; how many db's can it take? Or do you record at elec. gtr at very low volumes? Do you use Attenuators on the amps or just low wattage amps cranked up?
29th November 2005
Old 29th November 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Ed, was wondering when you use a single 121 are you usually dead center to the speaker for placement or do you do the cone seam. I've found when I use both a 121 and a 57 I go for 3 and 9:00 at the seam for placement but when I use only the 121 I have to place it dead center for more hi end. Also do you angle the mic slightly or straight up? Thanks. Kelly.
30th November 2005
Old 30th November 2005
Guest Moderator

I try to just get the amp sounding good in the room. Obviously, if it's too loud it's going to ruin the mic. Sometimes I'll use a power soak, or something else between the amp and speaker to **** it up. If the musician is playing near his amp in the room, he will usually set the volume to where it works the best.

Kellyd.....when placing the mic, here is something that you may want to try. Plug the guitar chord into the head, put your thumb on the tip, so that it makes the amp buzz. Then, cup your ear with your other hand, stick your head near the speaker and move it around. You will hear a place where the hum becomes bigger and fuller.....and that's where I try to put the mic.
ed
30th November 2005
Old 30th November 2005

Quote:
when placing the mic, here is something that you may want to try. Plug the guitar chord into the head, put your thumb on the tip, so that it makes the amp buzz. Then, cup your ear with your other hand, stick your head near the speaker and move it around. You will hear a place where the hum becomes bigger and fuller.....and that's where I try to put the mic.
THANK YOU!!!!
For posting here AND
The tip that may save my hearing yet!

Beutiful!

D
tubehead
1st December 2005
Old 1st December 2005
Lives for gear

Ed, that's a sweet tip; no pun.
1st December 2005
Old 1st December 2005