Login / Register
 
Mr Massenburg-Neil Schon Guitar sound
Subscribe
SoZo
Thread Starter
#1
17th November 2005
Old 17th November 2005
  #1
Lives for gear
 
SoZo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 964

Thread Starter
SoZo is offline
Mr Massenburg-Neil Schon Guitar sound

Can you tell me about tracking his guitars.
What mic's did you use.
What mic'ing technique did you use?
How loud was he playing his Plexi's?
What size room?
Were you involved with him getting his tone?
If so what guitars, amps, tubes, speakers, and pickups, were used?
Gibson with floyd, Marshall Plexi's Year?, 25's or 30's?, PAF gibson's or Dimarzio's?


As a guitarist and amp guru I look forward to any help capturing this type of Plexi sound. You did a great job BTW!

Thanks for your time!

SoZo
SoZo
Thread Starter
#2
17th November 2005
Old 17th November 2005
  #2
Lives for gear
 
SoZo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 964

Thread Starter
SoZo is offline
This was the real thread, the other submission was because it didn't come up and I was like woh! what happened...

Then I got a chance to read that 2 second message that said all messaged will be regulated.

Back to the subject!
gml
#3
18th November 2005
Old 18th November 2005
  #3
gml
Gear nut
 
gml's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 92

gml is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo
Can you tell me about tracking his guitars.
What mic's did you use.
What mic'ing technique did you use?
How loud was he playing his Plexi's?
What size room?
Were you involved with him getting his tone?
If so what guitars, amps, tubes, speakers, and pickups, were used?
Gibson with floyd, Marshall Plexi's Year?, 25's or 30's?, PAF gibson's or Dimarzio's?


As a guitarist and amp guru I look forward to any help capturing this type of Plexi sound. You did a great job BTW!

Thanks for your time!

SoZo
i was not involved in the tracking of the Jouney record. pretty much those sounds came from Neil, who is a very intense, diligent musician (practicing 8 hours a day, every day when i was there with them)

that was done in a great studio, by the way: The Site in Marin. great, live room. fantastic support and wonderful vibe.

don't know about the guitar tech details...

George
#4
18th November 2005
Old 18th November 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Crash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 2,058

Crash is offline
Sozo,

You need to speak with Scott Appleton, Neil's guitar tech or Kevin Elson, producer of the latest album and many of their big albums, ala Escape., Departure, etc.

Neil, at least live, is using one Marshall Plexi with Marshall cabinet and a couple of Diezel Herberts through Diezel cabs. He has an incredible collection of guitars to say the least.

Kevin has been known to lurk here so maybe you will get a reply from the man himself.

Hope I haven't broken protocol here with this reply but thought I could shed a little light on the question.
gml
#5
19th November 2005
Old 19th November 2005
  #5
gml
Gear nut
 
gml's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 92

gml is offline
actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
Sozo,

You need to speak with Scott Appleton, Neil's guitar tech or Kevin Elson, producer of the latest album and many of their big albums, ala Escape., Departure, etc.

Neil, at least live, is using one Marshall Plexi with Marshall cabinet and a couple of Diezel Herberts through Diezel cabs. He has an incredible collection of guitars to say the least.

Kevin has been known to lurk here so maybe you will get a reply from the man himself.

Hope I haven't broken protocol here with this reply but thought I could shed a little light on the question.
actually, Kevin Shirley produced this Jouney record. he might remember. we exchange e-mail from time to time, and he might remember something.

George
#6
19th November 2005
Old 19th November 2005
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Crash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 2,058

Crash is offline
Ooops! I thought we were talking the latest album, my apologies. I didn't see anywhere that a particular album was referenced so I just assumed.... and see where it got me!?
SoZo
Thread Starter
#7
20th November 2005
Old 20th November 2005
  #7
Lives for gear
 
SoZo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 964

Thread Starter
SoZo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by gml
actually, Kevin Shirley produced this Jouney record. he might remember. we exchange e-mail from time to time, and he might remember something.

George

Thanks guys! I don’t think it is necessary to speak directly with him, it would be cool but rather let me redirect this question.

What approach would you pros recommend for getting these great “rock” guitar tones?

VH, AC/DC, Stones, Journey, Dire Straights, etc...

I have the gear.

Some techniques would be absolutely wonderful and awesome!
#8
22nd November 2005
Old 22nd November 2005
  #8
Gear maniac
 
Peter Simonsen's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Denmark
Posts: 217

Peter Simonsen is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo
VH, AC/DC, Stones, Journey, Dire Straights, etc...

I have the gear.

Some techniques would be absolutely wonderful and awesome!
Just get the players and you´ll be there ;-)

Kind regards

Peter
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ryanformato / So much gear, so little time!
63
adamcal / So much gear, so little time!
14
jared / So much gear, so little time!
3
beechstudio / So much gear, so little time!
71
bassmac / So much gear, so little time!
2

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.