How I built my bass traps...
Old 21st September 2012
  #1201
Lives for gear
 
Jens Eklund's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIK Acoustics View Post
I would suggest (if you make any more) to find a way to open up the sides more. In a 24x48x4" trap, fully open sides would give a 50% increase in absorptive surface area.
If absorption at random incident is important (as in Large Acoustic Space acoustics), this is beneficial but in studio acoustics (SAS), we´re primarily concerned about absorbing early reflections and this is not random incident energy but rather specific angels of incidence and usually not greater than about 30 degrees so absorption performance at normal or close to normal degrees incident angle is usually what’s interesting and thus the sides of broadband panels can be closed. It´s actually sometimes a benefit since the panel won’t absorb more energy than needed (that helps preventing a room that becomes too dry in the mids and highs).
Old 21st September 2012
  #1202
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 

When it comes to low end control in a small room it is all about absorption (the amount of sabins per unit/panel) so having the sides open does increase this which is a good thing. I will agree that if using the panel for the early reflection points it might not make as much of a difference but when straddling corners it does.
Old 21st September 2012
  #1203
Lives for gear
 
Jens Eklund's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
When it comes to low end control in a small room it is all about absorption (the amount of sabins per unit/panel) so having the sides open does increase this which is a good thing. I will agree that if using the panel for the early reflection points it might not make as much of a difference but when straddling corners it does.
I don´t consider a 4” velocity based absorber to be a bass trap but only for early reflection points but if straddled against a corner to form a corner trap, well; then the sides will be sealed anyway since it´s the walls that make up the sides.
Old 21st September 2012
  #1204
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
I don´t consider 4” to be a bass trap but only for early reflection points but if straddled against a corner to form a corner trap, well; then the sides will be sealed anyway since it´s the walls that make up the sides.
Hey don't get me wrong there is a reason our thinnest (broad band) bass trap is 5.5" thick (GIK 244), but I have seen DIYers use 4" straddling corners and do pretty well. Would rather see them double that thickness but that is not always in the budget for them.

FYI when straddling a panel the walls are not covering up the sides. You would have to cut the sides at an angle to do this, which I don't recommend. Not only does it cover up the sides but pushes the lead edge of the panel (the front) closer to the corner, which decreases low end absorption.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #1205
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIK Acoustics View Post
They look very sharp! Though, I would suggest (if you make any more) to find a way to open up the sides more. In a 24x48x4" trap, fully open sides would give a 50% increase in absorptive surface area. This is why all of our traps have an open side design.
I'm planning to build 4 more of these. I can do it with them. I'm also planning to build some thinner absorbers. 5 cm, to hang on the walls, roof. Should I do that with those to?
Old 22nd September 2012
  #1206
Gear addict
 
GIK Acoustics's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokaasen View Post
I'm planning to build 4 more of these. I can do it with them. I'm also planning to build some thinner absorbers. 5 cm, to hang on the walls, roof. Should I do that with those to?
As Jens stated, it does depend on the angle the sound is going into the absorber. For panels at first reflections, the sound isn't going to be coming much through the sides - more on the face of the panel. But as the panels get further behind you, there is a larger chance for the sounds to come in through the sides. So I would say yes.

Also, 5cm is quite thin.. I would recommend at least 10 with an air gap to give even absorption down to bass frequencies if its possible. We don't want to over attenuate the high frequencies while not touching the lower end of the spectrum.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #1207
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIK Acoustics View Post
As Jens stated, it does depend on the angle the sound is going into the absorber. For panels at first reflections, the sound isn't going to be coming much through the sides - more on the face of the panel. But as the panels get further behind you, there is a larger chance for the sounds to come in through the sides. So I would say yes.

Also, 5cm is quite thin.. I would recommend at least 10 with an air gap to give even absorption down to bass frequencies if its possible. We don't want to over attenuate the high frequencies while not touching the lower end of the spectrum.

That's a good tip. I will go for 10 cm then. Would you go for 10 cm on the roof at my desk?
Old 24th September 2012
  #1208
Gear addict
 
GIK Acoustics's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokaasen View Post
That's a good tip. I will go for 10 cm then. Would you go for 10 cm on the roof at my desk?
Yes. I would also suggest an air gap above the panel; that is, inbetween the panel and the ceiling. As large of a gap as you can afford would be preferred.
Old 24th September 2012
  #1209
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIK Acoustics View Post
Yes. I would also suggest an air gap above the panel; that is, inbetween the panel and the ceiling. As large of a gap as you can afford would be preferred.
Do you have mounting tips for panels in the celing?
Old 27th September 2012
  #1210
Gear Head
 

My ceiling cloud (1800 x 1200 x 100mm) is standing on two legs at the front wall, and the other end is hanging from where the lamp would be. Luckily a lamp attachment is roughly in the right place. In it there are two screwholes, in which I put two hooks, from which two chains are attached to the cloud.

Also one could put two more legs on the sides and a sideways beam on top. Hang or support the cloud using that. Even the first reflection panels could be attached to these legs, if they don´t have legs of their own.

Can You tell I´m renting?
Old 25th October 2012
  #1211
Gear interested
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason baliban View Post
I am going to try to get a youtube video together outlining the whole process. Give me a couple days.

jB
Hi JB, did you ever get a chance to make a video or give more details?

Thanks,

Steve.
Old 26th October 2012
  #1212
Gear addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post
Hi JB, did you ever get a chance to make a video or give more details?

Thanks,

Steve.
I havent, but i still have full intentions to do it. I just need to find the time.

jB
Quote
1
Old 30th October 2012
  #1213
Gear interested
 

Has anyone ever tried Cellulose panels in room treatments?

Hey guys. This is my first post here, and this has been a very informative place to start my room treatment research! I make proto-type stereo speakers and have moved into a new home. The room I plan to use for showcasing has hardwood floors with 8 foot ceilings. The cellulose idea I realize might be odd,... but I was helping an Uncle build his home. Contractors had "damp-sprayed" cellulose in between his exterior wall studs a few weeks before and it had dried to a dense almost spongy board-like stuff. The windows werent in yet, and my Uncle (who was outside the building about 15 feet away) was talking to me. When I moved 2 feet away from that open window I thought he'd stopped talking. I turned back to the opening, and he was still talking away. Odd. I then moved my head behind the cellulose, and he was gone. It was striking. So...does anyone think that this could work even better than fiberglass or rock wool? I found a supplier who sells this in 3.5" thick, 4'x8' sheets. The quiet of my Uncles home is amazing, so I have to try it. I'd like to try some corner bass traps first.
24x17x17, up to the ceiling, right?
Old 4th November 2012
  #1214
Gear addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Can you guys do me a favor?

I finally got around to working on my basstrap vid. Here is the link to the beta version.

*here is the link to the final product*

http://youtu.be/fiJ6mI450c4

Before i finalize and publish it i would like to get some comments from you guys.

3 requests....

1) please do not comment on how bad i suck at narration! HAHA
2) do not share the link as it will be a dead on after i edit it again.
3) if something isnt clear, please view that part again and if still isnt clear, let me know.

Thanks!

jB
Quote
1
Old 5th November 2012
  #1215
Gear interested
 

JB, I thought that vid was fantastic, very professional, thanks for making it!

I didn't see anything wrong with it and think it covered everything. I was wondering about material quantities but it will be different for everyone so there is no point mentioning it.

Your narration is great btw
Old 5th November 2012
  #1216
Gear addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post
JB, I thought that vid was fantastic, very professional, thanks for making it!

I didn't see anything wrong with it and think it covered everything. I was wondering about material quantities but it will be different for everyone so there is no point mentioning it.

Your narration is great btw
I appreciate you viewing it.

So far i have noticed...

-Fastening is misspelled
-Two images should go longer for better viewing
-The background noise during the fabric part shouldnt be there

The material quantities is a good point and your counterpoint is a good one as well. I will mull it over.

jB
Old 5th November 2012
  #1217
Gear maniac
 
sl4zhz's Avatar
 

just want to share. here's my basstrap with roxul 100kg/cm3
I Cut plywood into smaller pieces of 120x15 cm and 60x15cm
then I put it together with small nails and use some L hooks on the corner to make the frame more solid.
I cover it with some fabrics.

enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
How I built my bass traps...-66104_477518775603398_101799640_n.jpeg   How I built my bass traps...-230990_479996582022284_1344561431_n.jpeg   How I built my bass traps...-254445_477518752270067_1013763796_n.jpeg   How I built my bass traps...-536369_477518708936738_1652877019_n.jpeg   How I built my bass traps...-556413_428998377122105_1622551827_n.jpeg  

Quote
2
Old 6th November 2012
  #1218
Gear nut
 

Hi JB

I think the video looks great.

A quick question about something that wasn't clear to me.

You mention: 1/4" x 3/4" Cut Strips for Front Frame
Do you mean that you cut something into this size?
If so, what did you use as the original material? 1" x 2" furring strip?

Or did you buy strips that were already this size?
If this is the case, can you get this size lumber at places like home depot? (I don't think I've seen anything like it).

Thanks,
Keith
Old 6th November 2012
  #1219
Gear addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwow View Post
Hi JB

I think the video looks great.

A quick question about something that wasn't clear to me.

You mention: 1/4" x 3/4" Cut Strips for Front Frame
Do you mean that you cut something into this size?
If so, what did you use as the original material? 1" x 2" furring strip?

Or did you buy strips that were already this size?
If this is the case, can you get this size lumber at places like home depot? (I don't think I've seen anything like it).

Thanks,
Keith
Good question. They were cut from a larger piece of wood, 1/4x6x36". I will add it to the notes.

jB
Old 6th November 2012
  #1220
Gear nut
 

Thank you JB!
So 1/4" x 6" x 36", right?
Wait ... the panels are 4' tall so is it like a 1/4" tick plywood or something that's 6' tall and 3' wide?

Also what size wood did you use for the posts to connect the front and the back frame? I can see that you use some chopped up 1" x 2"s, but I also see some square looking pieces. What are they?

And what did you use to cut the insulation to fit them into the posts? A box cutter or something?

Thanks
Keith
Old 7th November 2012
  #1221
Gear addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwow View Post
Thank you JB!
So 1/4" x 6" x 36", right?
Wait ... the panels are 4' tall so is it like a 1/4" tick plywood or something that's 6' tall and 3' wide?

Also what size wood did you use for the posts to connect the front and the back frame? I can see that you use some chopped up 1" x 2"s, but I also see some square looking pieces. What are they?

And what did you use to cut the insulation to fit them into the posts? A box cutter or something?

Thanks
Keith
Now that i think about it, it was probly 48" pieces, its been awhile. So yeah, maybe 1/4x6x48".

Yeah, i used 1x2's for the posts. for the middle post maybe just 1" square stock.

To cut rigid fiberglass....fine tooth saw works.

jB
Old 8th November 2012
  #1222
Gear addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Here is the final product...



jB
Quote
2
Old 20th November 2012
  #1223
Gear nut
 
cappo's Avatar
 

good to see people doing things themselves ;-) no need to spend a lot of cash...
Old 19th December 2012
  #1224
Gear interested
 
theblueredpanda's Avatar
 

I'm doing a similar DIY thing myself with gobos and bass traps. You really get a sense of achievement when you see one built, not to mention the money you save.
Old 22nd December 2012
  #1225
Gear interested
 

My local hardware shop has Roxul RHT 80 available.

Roxul RHT® 30, 40, 60, 80, 100, & 150

Can I use it for bass trap?

When choosing material, is higher density the better?

If I use RHT 150, will it tame deeper/lower bass...as low as 20Hz?
Old 22nd December 2012
  #1226
Lives for gear
 
gullfo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
When choosing material, is higher density the better?
you are best served by reading the stickies at the top of the forum which have many of these questions (and many you are yet to ask) answered or clues on what to pursue further...

the HT80 would not be a good choice. of course getting the roxul product(s) which are more targeted to acoustics than industrial thermal insulation would be a better. Roxul Safe'n'Sound™
Old 1st January 2013
  #1227
Gear Head
 

Here are some bass traps I made for my little edit room. They were made completely with hand tools and stuffed with RW3 Rockwool. I built them with stands as I cannot put holes in the wall of a rented flat. Comments Appreciated.



Frames...




Painted.




Attaching fabric.




Finished product.


Quote
2
Old 1st January 2013
  #1228
Gear Head
 

Hi all. the more I read about this stuff the more confused I get! Regarding bass traps in the corners....I'd like to know about stacked, triangular floor-to-ceiling traps built of 703 triangles vs traps straddling the corner of ceiling and 2 walls. Is a 2x4 straddling the corner big enough?
Old 11th January 2013
  #1229
Gear interested
Old 13th January 2013
  #1230
Gear Head
 

Smile

Hi all!I just build my first two bass traps, 3 more on the way, really having fun building them

I've got inspired here How to make rockwool acoustic panels - YouTube

They are 4.5 inches thick, the Rockwool is 100kg density and I just put two layers of 6cm each layer on each Bass trap. The size is of the Rockwool panels is 120x60 and the structure is 119x59

I bought some wood that I imagined I could design different from the video.

The wood front structure is like this and the back one is the opposite of the front, with the higher opposite (tunnel like).

After that, I built the structure and attached the fabric on the back side

Rockwool

More Rockwool

Front Side Fabric (Will place a thick lace type material soon around as a frame for a nicer look)


And that's my bedroom studio, 3 more on the way. (By the way if you do this project, fix the legs before applying the Rockwool with a 5cm screw, but not too tight, you need to be able to turn the legs. Then when you have finished applying the Rockwool, the front fabric, just start to spin the legs and at one point they are going to be tighter. Then celebrate the whole structure by using angles mounted on the back legs and there you go.

Thanks to Gearslutz and It's users that helped me buying the right material!
Attached Thumbnails
How I built my bass traps...-wp_000231-copy.jpg   How I built my bass traps...-wp_000223-copy.jpg   How I built my bass traps...-wp_000227-copy.jpg   How I built my bass traps...-wp_000228-copy.jpg   How I built my bass traps...-wp_000229-copy.jpg  

How I built my bass traps...-wp_000226-copy.jpg   How I built my bass traps...-wp_000233-copy.jpg   How I built my bass traps...-nwp_130112_0001-copy.jpg  
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
feyshay / So much gear, so little time!
34
SLy_drums / So much gear, so little time!
33
Mr. Dreq / So much gear, so little time!
6
SK1 / So much gear, so little time!
49
TanTan / Mastering forum
12

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.