Rig
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
Rig
Gear interested

Send a message via AIM to Rig Send a message via Skype™ to Rig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osvald AmadeuZ View Post
I totally agree, but if you put a little work in the frames, u will get much more good looking frames, wich again will improve the impression of your studio.
Who needs frames? I think these look pretty good.

2nd November 2011
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear Head

Hehe, nobody needs painted walls either
7th December 2011
Old 7th December 2011
Gear maniac

Diffusers on the traps

I have not seen this anywhere in this thread.
I am thinking about adding some rotational planks in front of the trap so I can make the most from 1 trap.

I've seen one example,.. but these open and close at the same time.
I would like to make something where I can change them all separately.

My room is quite small but has an excellent response. (see photo)
Just one problem around 600 HZ. I hope to tackle this with a bigger absorber and maybe the added planks for diffusion. I want to add this on the sides and above the listening spot.

any ideas?

thanks,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
How I built my bass traps...-picture005.jpeg   How I built my bass traps...-picture006.jpeg   How I built my bass traps...-_d2x8341-zownd-obool-layered-ingedrukt.jpeg  
20th December 2011
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

Wanted to ask on here about building traps that will be used for a cloud. I planned on making 2 traps (4 feet x 2 feet) and hanging them above me. What's the best way to secure the OC in there so it doesn't fall out? I was just going to put a couple thin pieces of wood across the bottom side to hold them in, was wondering if there are smarter ways to do it.
20th December 2011
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Wanted to ask on here about building traps that will be used for a cloud. I planned on making 2 traps (4 feet x 2 feet) and hanging them above me. What's the best way to secure the OC in there so it doesn't fall out? I was just going to put a couple thin pieces of wood across the bottom side to hold them in, was wondering if there are smarter ways to do it.
what ever fabric you decide to use, stapled to the frame should be sufficient.
20th December 2011
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndykstra View Post
what ever fabric you decide to use, stapled to the frame should be sufficient.
Ok. I thought it would sag in the middle but I guess it's more sturdy than I think (I'm using 703).
20th December 2011
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Ok. I thought it would sag in the middle but I guess it's more sturdy than I think (I'm using 703).
Oh yeah, you're good. I've got a rockwool cloud supported by nothing but fabric and it's remained attractive for a few years now. 703 is far stiffer than my rockwool. Build the frame so the fiber sits snug in it. Not so snug that it deflects or bows... I'd say make the inner frame dimensions ~1/8" shy of the 703 sheet.

Here's what I do. Free if you like, pay if you REALLY like:

http://midwestdeathrattle.bandcamp.com/
20th December 2011
Old 20th December 2011
Gear addict

Just thought i would share some of the steps i went through to create a bunch of these things. Over all i am pleased with the results. I certainly do not have a lot of experience with "nice" acoustic spaces, but these certainly tamed my room a bit.

I used Corning 703 board as the core of the traps.

First i created frames for the 2x4' panels. I made some panels 2" thick and others 4". Oh, and there is a little on there too.

Notice how the corner posts are off set. This helped with the front frame (showed later)

After the frames were constructed I covered the back in black burlap.

I carefully notched on the board to allow them to sit snug within the posts.

Again, notice how the posts are off set.

Next I added the front frame. This frame allowed the traps to maintain a nice shape and it allows me to really pull the fabric tight around the trap.

Here is where you can really see how the front frame used the off set posts.

Moving along...

Here they are wrapped...

Next I worked on the corner traps.

I then covered the frame.

The other corner

Here are two shots of the finished room

jB
20th December 2011
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Jason, they look awesome! Nice work!
20th December 2011
Old 20th December 2011
Gear maniac

Hi Jason

How did you build the corner trap into the wall? And be able to finish out the covering so nice....Looks great.
20th December 2011
Old 20th December 2011
Gear addict

Thanks for the love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobq View Post
Hi Jason

How did you build the corner trap into the wall? And be able to finish out the covering so nice....Looks great.
There is no frame for the corners. The only frame is the front "grill" and that is velcro'd to small stops screwed to the wall. I stacked the 703 in the corners. Covered the front frame with fabric (good and stretched) and then velcro'd it into place. I might be able to dig up a pic if I am not explaining this correctly?

jB
27th December 2011
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

Made two traps to use as a cloud over my mixing space. They were VERY easy to make (thanks to some help from my dad). The next ones I will be making will have the sides cut out and will (hopefully) look more polished. The trim on these ones was strange because they will be hanging, so I had the metal frame pieces on the same side as the fabric, which made it hard to add it (I ended up just stapling it to the top and then adding molding over the top).

Can't wait to get them in place.
Attached Thumbnails
How I built my bass traps...-traps1.jpg   How I built my bass traps...-traps2.jpg   How I built my bass traps...-traps3.jpg   How I built my bass traps...-traps4.jpg  
28th December 2011
Old 28th December 2011
Gear interested

I am very much a fan of this thread. And this forum. I just started reading this forum recently, and, needless to say, I am already hooked. I never knew how amazing forums are. Color me surprised. I am working on building bass traps (multi-frequency absorbers--in reality) right now. I would post photos, but it seems as though this thread has plenty of great examples.
28th December 2011
Old 28th December 2011
Gear interested

@jason,

What solution did you come up with for the "stand" on the panel for the first reflection point on the left?

BTW, that fish tank looks awesome!

Bill
30th December 2011
Old 30th December 2011
Gear nut

Just finished 16 absorbers. Spent 2 days so far. Now i'm working on 3 large clouds for the ceiling. Will share images here as well when they are done.

I made a public album of the process, if anyone wants to look, here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9034725&type=1
30th December 2011
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason baliban View Post
Just thought i would share some of the steps i went through to create a bunch of these things. Over all i am pleased with the results. I certainly do not have a lot of experience with "nice" acoustic spaces, but these certainly tamed my room a bit.

I used Corning 703 board as the core of the traps.

First i created frames for the 2x4' panels. I made some panels 2" thick and others 4". Oh, and there is a little on there too.

Notice how the corner posts are off set. This helped with the front frame (showed later)

After the frames were constructed I covered the back in black burlap.

I carefully notched on the board to allow them to sit snug within the posts.

Again, notice how the posts are off set.

Next I added the front frame. This frame allowed the traps to maintain a nice shape and it allows me to really pull the fabric tight around the trap.

Here is where you can really see how the front frame used the off set posts.

Moving along...

Here they are wrapped...

Next I worked on the corner traps.

I then covered the frame.

The other corner

Here are two shots of the finished room

jB
Jason, that is a bang up job man, looks wonderful!! Now about the fishtank, aren't soundwaves not so good for them? I always thought a fishtank in the studio would be cool!!
No dead fish?
30th December 2011
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear

That looks excellent Jason, great job. Really inspires me to get stuck into my room.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app

Progs - Reason 7, Live 8
Synths - Minibrute, MoKeys, Prophet 08
Drums - Korg EMX1, MaM ADX1
Guitars - LTD EC100, Hohner L75 Pro, Yamaha RBX375, Custom Upright Bass
Effects - Blackstar HT Dual, Aphex Acoustic Xciter, TCE Flashback, Red Witch Ivy, VFE Blueprint, MI Audio Tubezone, Boss ODB3, SPX 990
30th December 2011
Old 30th December 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgb113 View Post
@jason,

What solution did you come up with for the "stand" on the panel for the first reflection point on the left?

BTW, that fish tank looks awesome!

Bill
I just built some "feet" out of 1x2's. Worked like a charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Jason, that is a bang up job man, looks wonderful!! Now about the fishtank, aren't soundwaves not so good for them? I always thought a fishtank in the studio would be cool!!
No dead fish?
No dead fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
That looks excellent Jason, great job. Really inspires me to get stuck into my room.

Here is a close up of that aquarium if anyone is interested...

jB
31st December 2011
Old 31st December 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to kasmira
Jason,

Those look wonderful and easy & cheap to build as well! Probably one of the best frames I've seen to date, and really doesn't take much to build them either. Plus, they look lightweight!

In order to help some people with building frames that look as great as these, may I ask the materials you used?

For a single 4" frame, it seems you used:

Two 48" long pieces of 1x2"
Two 20" long pieces of 1x2"
Four 4" long cuts of 1x2"
Two 4" long cuts of 1x1"
Wood glue
Staples
Nails
Insulation
Fabric

Now, it seems you used a staple gun (assuming a pneumatic staple gun / air compressor staple gun or an electric one?) and I'm going to guess wood glue as well to construct the back of the frame. It is also obvious in the picture that the smaller cuts of wood are glued onto the backing frame - are these also nailed in on the backside, where we can't see?

I also am not sure what you used for the front frame. Very thin. Love the idea of the offset corners to nail in the front frame onto place.

If you would be so kind, could you let us know if my assumptions are correct on your material list, and could you add anything else you used? I'd really like to build some frames using your same method.

If you built these again, is there anything else you'd add or change?

Lastly, where did you get your wood? Every store I've gone to has terribly warped wood and I've been trying to figure out where else to get it other than Home Depot, Lowes, etc. And I would have no idea where you got the really thin front framing wood, either.

Anyways, congrats on the build. They look great! Hope your room is sounding better
31st December 2011
Old 31st December 2011
Gear maniac

"There is no frame for the corners. The only frame is the front "grill" and that is velcro'd to small stops screwed to the wall. I stacked the 703 in the corners. Covered the front frame with fabric (good and stretched) and then velcro'd it into place. I might be able to dig up a pic if I am not explaining this correctly?"

Jason I wold like to see these pictures if you you have them available. Especially the small stops you referred to. Not sure what that may be and how they are attached to the wall.. What size lumber is the font frame constructed with?
31st December 2011
Old 31st December 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasmira View Post
Jason,

Those look wonderful and easy & cheap to build as well! Probably one of the best frames I've seen to date, and really doesn't take much to build them either. Plus, they look lightweight!

In order to help some people with building frames that look as great as these, may I ask the materials you used?

For a single 4" frame, it seems you used:

Two 48" long pieces of 1x2"
Two 20" long pieces of 1x2"
Four 4" long cuts of 1x2"
Two 4" long cuts of 1x1"
Wood glue
Staples
Nails
Insulation
Fabric

Now, it seems you used a staple gun (assuming a pneumatic staple gun / air compressor staple gun or an electric one?) and I'm going to guess wood glue as well to construct the back of the frame. It is also obvious in the picture that the smaller cuts of wood are glued onto the backing frame - are these also nailed in on the backside, where we can't see?

I also am not sure what you used for the front frame. Very thin. Love the idea of the offset corners to nail in the front frame onto place.

If you would be so kind, could you let us know if my assumptions are correct on your material list, and could you add anything else you used? I'd really like to build some frames using your same method.

If you built these again, is there anything else you'd add or change?

Lastly, where did you get your wood? Every store I've gone to has terribly warped wood and I've been trying to figure out where else to get it other than Home Depot, Lowes, etc. And I would have no idea where you got the really thin front framing wood, either.

Anyways, congrats on the build. They look great! Hope your room is sounding better
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobq View Post
"There is no frame for the corners. The only frame is the front "grill" and that is velcro'd to small stops screwed to the wall. I stacked the 703 in the corners. Covered the front frame with fabric (good and stretched) and then velcro'd it into place. I might be able to dig up a pic if I am not explaining this correctly?"

Jason I wold like to see these pictures if you you have them available. Especially the small stops you referred to. Not sure what that may be and how they are attached to the wall.. What size lumber is the font frame constructed with?
I am going to try to get a youtube video together outlining the whole process. Give me a couple days.

jB
2nd January 2012
Old 2nd January 2012
Gear interested

Hello folks, long time lurker making his first post.

So, quite some time ago I was looking up instructions on making bass traps etc and by the good will of google I ended up here. The basic idea of using mineral wool wrapped in fabric was an easy choise, but the visual side was a harder task. I had previously made panels with textured fabrics, but this time i wanted something more personal.

Browsing these forums I saw the GIK ArtPanel's posted by Glenn, in specific the 3 panel quitar was very impressive! Fabric printing prices were however rather expensive, so being a DIY person I set to do it myself. I don't have any artistic talent whatsoever, so being meticulous and detail oriented would have to suffice.

So i searched for ideas from ebay art canvases. A banksy style pulp fiction canvas quickly caught my eye, one similar to this: http://i38.tinypic.com/1zgvjn5.jpg. I liked the idea, but the bananas were a bit too wacky and the facial features weren't all that recognizable. To make it to my liking, I started editing the picture based on the movie frame. Days and more revisions than I care to count went by, before I was satisfied with the picture. So now there was just one small problem, transfer it onto the canvas.

As canvas printing was not an option and artistic talent non-existant, I had to rely on the simplest of methods: copying. Owning a video projector, as any proper hometheater enthusiast should, proved to be the key to success. I projected the picture onto the black canvas and meticulously traced the outlines with a white chalk pencil (don't use a graphite pencil, it can penetrate through the paint). This was rather straightforward and just required some checking that everything had been traced. Sharp corners tended to round out a bit, so for painting I printed paper versions for quick reference.

I chose acrylic art paint for it's water solubility and quick drying. Although in heinsight, the fast drying can be difficult when learning proper technique. In addition, you have to be rather quick when you paint. So to avoid any colossal mistakes I searched online for instructions and did quite a bit of painting practise. When I was confident I would be able to make something I could hang on the wall, I bit the bullet and started painting. The process was really timeconsuming, especially the first layer of paint. The consequent layers were easier to put on, although you had to be careful not to set your hand on wet paint and smear it onto the canvas. For those small mishaps touch-up with black paint worked well, it wasn't visible if you didn't stare from 20 cm away.

I can already hear you yelling to show the damn picture, so that's just what you'll get. It took some 25-30 hours to finish all the painting and it was pretty obvious the workmanship had improved during the process. But I guess that just adds character to it. I've attached a couple of pictures of the completed traps. Here you can find a couple of work in progress photos: picasaweb album.

Apologies for the long post. Keep on building those bass traps.
Attached Thumbnails
How I built my bass traps...-pulp_2.jpg   How I built my bass traps...-pulp_1.jpg  
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to kasmira
That is wicked! I've wanted to do the same with my panels. What a way to improve the sound & looks of your home theater!

Did you put all three panels right next to each other, paint them, and then space them apart? Or did you project onto it while they were spaced apart already? I'm sure either way would look good, I'm just curious. It looks as though you put them together while painting, and spaced them apart on the wall.
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Gear interested

Thanks kasmira! You are quite right, it's a continuous picture that has been spaced apart after painting. I didn't even come to think of the other option you suggested. I think it could've been tricky, as I didn't know what sort of a gap would look good before I could actually set them next to each other. Photoshopping gives an idea, but it isn't quite the same as seeing it infront of you. Like you said it probably doesn't make a big difference, especially with such a small 2-3 cm gap.

How I did the "fitting" was by taking a picture of the three blank panels head on. I then photoshopped until I found the right size and alignment for all three panels (picture of photoshopped canvases). I also added vertical and horizontal alignment lines to the picture so it would be easier to zoom the projector and place the picture correctly.

Using the alignment lines I did one panel at a time. I did the middle panel first and marked the 'continuity' locations to the adjacent panels to make sure the picture was aligned properly. Lots of checking and double checking and in case of mistakes all you need is a damp cloth to remove the chalk lines. These might not be the optimal methods, but at least the photoshopped and painted versions seem to be quite similar.
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
Gear interested

Starting my DYI Bass traps next month

Hello everyone! Thanks to everyone for their pictures and room analysis data.

Also, I would like to thank Ethan, Glenn and the countless others who share their vast knowledge of this topic. It is truly the most awesome thing! I tip my hat to you gentlemen.

I just bought a house and I close on it next month. I picked a room that was roughly 12x10 with an 8ft ceiling. I'm buying a test mic before I do anything to properly test the room. My budget is $600 (US). I have been doing some rough sketches and what not and I have come up with some preliminary designs mainly because I want to price out the materials. I know all of that WILL change once I get in there and start measuring the freq response of the room but at least I have an Idea of the cost. I will document the whole entire process for everyone. I just wanted to get myself out here and Introduce myself. My name is Rafael from Buffalo, NY. Knowledge is power!
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Gear interested

This is a preliminary design. I think I might have to just use 1 2x4 first reflection panel on each side instead of a 2x4 and a 1x4 in order to stay within the 38% ratio for mix position. I wont know until I get in there for sure but this is a brainstorm to start. Thickness all around is yet to be determined but I am thinking, fill in the corners with triangle pieces all the way up and then cut 705 frk panels as front panels to go in front of the filled corners ( of course with frk side facing the room all the way up the wall as well). right in the middle of the fill should be like 8 inches thick. this is for all 4 corners. I plan on using 4'' for the first reflections and the cloud ( which is not in the design but is going to go in , i wanted you to see in the room) also the left wall is missing so you can also look inside. the left wall will be identical to the right. there is a door on both left and right walls in the rear of the room with a foot of space before the back wall. I was thinking of using 4'' on the back absorbers and space them 4" of the wall. this is a huge project in progress. I just wanted to get something out there and maybe get some feedback on the design so far. As soon as I get into the new house, i will start testing the room and going from there. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
How I built my bass traps...-room-design-2012.jpg  
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Gear interested

different angle. thats a closet in the back
Attached Thumbnails
How I built my bass traps...-raf-room-2.jpg  
7th January 2012
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezballs View Post
Question for y'all... I see one guy painted the material that covered the panels. This doesn't impact the performance of the panels?
Paint will have an effect on the performance in absorbing high frequencies as it makes the material less 'breathable'. Low frequencies will still penetrate through the paint.

GIK dye the fabric rather than paint it.
7th January 2012
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezballs View Post
Ya, got it... but any idea if the canvas printing you can have done at say Costco would do the same thing?
Probably, I have never felt one though so I'm not certain.
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Gear maniac

A question regarding most builds from the last 10 pages or so...

Most of these pictures look like you built 20cm (or 8") deep panels, or are these just 15cm (6") and 10cm (4") panels?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search