Hello folks, long time lurker making his first post.
So, quite some time ago I was looking up instructions on making bass traps etc and by the good will of google I ended up here. The basic idea of using mineral wool wrapped in fabric was an easy choise, but the visual side was a harder task. I had previously made panels with textured fabrics, but this time i wanted something more personal.
Browsing these forums I saw the GIK ArtPanel's posted by Glenn, in specific the 3 panel quitar was very impressive! Fabric printing prices were however rather expensive, so being a DIY person I set to do it myself. I don't have any artistic talent whatsoever, so being meticulous and detail oriented would have to suffice.
So i searched for ideas from ebay art canvases. A banksy style pulp fiction canvas quickly caught my eye, one similar to this: http://i38.tinypic.com/1zgvjn5.jpg
. I liked the idea, but the bananas were a bit too wacky and the facial features weren't all that recognizable. To make it to my liking, I started editing the picture based on the movie frame. Days and more revisions than I care to count went by, before I was satisfied with the picture. So now there was just one small problem, transfer it onto the canvas.
As canvas printing was not an option and artistic talent non-existant, I had to rely on the simplest of methods: copying. Owning a video projector, as any proper hometheater enthusiast should, proved to be the key to success. I projected the picture onto the black canvas and meticulously traced the outlines with a white chalk pencil (don't use a graphite pencil, it can penetrate through the paint). This was rather straightforward and just required some checking that everything had been traced. Sharp corners tended to round out a bit, so for painting I printed paper versions for quick reference.
I chose acrylic art paint for it's water solubility and quick drying. Although in heinsight, the fast drying can be difficult when learning proper technique. In addition, you have to be rather quick when you paint. So to avoid any colossal mistakes I searched online for instructions and did quite a bit of painting practise. When I was confident I would be able to make something I could hang on the wall, I bit the bullet and started painting. The process was really timeconsuming, especially the first layer of paint. The consequent layers were easier to put on, although you had to be careful not to set your hand on wet paint and smear it onto the canvas. For those small mishaps touch-up with black paint worked well, it wasn't visible if you didn't stare from 20 cm away.
I can already hear you yelling to show the damn picture, so that's just what you'll get. It took some 25-30 hours to finish all the painting and it was pretty obvious the workmanship had improved during the process. But I guess that just adds character to it.
I've attached a couple of pictures of the completed traps. Here you can find a couple of work in progress photos: picasaweb album
Apologies for the long post. Keep on building those bass traps.