Login / Register

How I built my bass traps...
New Reply
Subscribe
1st October 2006
Old 1st October 2006
Lives for gear

thanks

I'm almost finished with the side "panels" and now I'm going to work on polys in front. There are construction problems I need to solve, because making computer model doesn't always tlanslate directly in reality
1st October 2006
Old 1st October 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
...and this is one of the sketches, note that not everything is like in reality and everything evolves, colours, construction, problems... what I know now I want to have my table/console different... the back is not solved also to my liking... but I'm moving in as I write this
they look great man!
1st October 2006
Old 1st October 2006
Gear Head

@matucha: really nice looking room. why the wood-panel in front of the 703? which effect does it have?
1st October 2006
Old 1st October 2006
Lives for gear

my guess:
his plan is to reflect & retain some of the high-freq´s while still absorbing
mid & lower mid freq´s......despite on ear-level (sitting) where you want a RFZ (reflexion free zone) ....am I right??

ethan....glenn.....
guys, down to what center-freq. do you think a plain 18mm OSB-board/hardwood board would reflect ?? any idea...guesses?

tom
picksail; 28th August 2008, 08:55 AM

"The best sounding sluttiest gear of all time... is a great song" --Greg Wells

http://www.hi-endgear.com

http://www.audio-import.de
1st October 2006
Old 1st October 2006
Gear Head

danke tom. ich werde diese bauweise definitiv auf meinen studioraum ummüntzen

i got a second and hopefully last question: why the plastic-bags (don´t know the english name for it) on the 703?
1st October 2006
Old 1st October 2006
Lives for gear

tomdarude > exactly --- it is kind of experiment, will see how it is going to work. I've completed just one side up to this moment and the other is just bare construction with that red fabric covered panel attached to it... and it looks like it is going to work ;-)

Also these wood panels work as membranes, they are thick (18mm) so they should get the low bass... possibly ;-)... I tried to touch them when running bass sine sweep and what makes me happy is that each of the field is vibrating at different freq.... ie there is some "broad-band" absorbtion happening.

> OSBs should reflect very well
- it is heavier than wood is
- it has slightly non consistent surface, but I doubt it will have any diffusion effect
1st October 2006
Old 1st October 2006
Lives for gear

The plastic bags cover the rockwool just for the safety reasons (and you can manipulate it without wearing gloves). I saw that in every studio construction I've been to. I was told that it doesn't affect the absobtion a lot... and for basstrap use I think it should be acousticaly "transparent".
1st October 2006
Old 1st October 2006
Gear Head

i talked with a contruction manager i´m working with in my company about the 703er..in german it´s called trittschall-dämmung as iám right. he said it isn´t as dangerous as a lot of people say. but you are: when you work in your studio every day, it would be dangerous don´t covering them from the air so that you breath them in.
your contruction is not only for audio-treatment, it looks really nice and professional so clients would be proud to work in it
1st October 2006
Old 1st October 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to djui5
Those look amazing cojo
Cojo
1st October 2006
Old 1st October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
Those look amazing cojo
Thanks!

I'm suprised myself! I've learned a lot during the construction so the next ones I build would probably be even better. I really wanted the wooden frame but if I knew the were going to be so heavy I don't know...

Thanks everyone for your support. It has been a pleasure to read!

/Cojo
1st October 2006
Old 1st October 2006
Lives for gear

IMHO you can't make it lighter than "wood", ok some less dense wood is lighter, but you can easily damage the surface and the edges. OSB for ex. isn't light at all... it was no fun puting these osb frames on the wall in 2 persons.

And yep, cojo, you have classy lokin traps
Cojo
1st October 2006
Old 1st October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMHO you can't make it lighter than "wood", ok some less dense wood is lighter, but you can easily damage the surface and the edges. OSB for ex. isn't light at all... it was no fun puting these osb frames on the wall in 2 persons.

And yep, cojo, you have classy lokin traps
Yeah I can imagine... those looks really heavy as well but I think you gonna get a nice place when you're ready!

Keep the hammer going!

/Cojo
2nd October 2006
Old 2nd October 2006
Lives for gear

well, this is the end of my hijack of this thread... current situation just after moving in and making temporary setup for testing and getting used --- will continue in a new thread
Attached Thumbnails
How I built my bass traps...-panel_necohotovo_web.jpg  
3rd October 2006
Old 3rd October 2006
Gear addict

Cojo...
Nice traps
what hapened with the graphs... ?

cant see them...
did you read my post on the freq response of mainstream nearfields.. ?

Greets
Rolo.
Cojo
3rd October 2006
Old 3rd October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo95 View Post
Cojo...
Nice traps
what hapened with the graphs... ?

cant see them...
did you read my post on the freq response of mainstream nearfields.. ?

Greets
Rolo.
Thanks!

I don't know what happened... it will not show after I've downloaded it? I'll give it a new try.

Yes I read your post about the freq responce. The problem frequences I've experienced when I have mixed in my room is those around 60Hz - 120Hz. That's why I didn't go so high as 300Hz but you're probably right, it may be a good idea!

I have a Blue sky monitor one system and I know they can't play 20Hz but I really wanted to see it for my self!

/Cojo
Cojo
3rd October 2006
Old 3rd October 2006
Lives for gear

Sorry It will not show!??

Anyway...

I've found this EFT program and I'll try to send some plots when I've figured out how to use it!

/Cojo
Cojo
3rd October 2006
Old 3rd October 2006
Lives for gear

Ok, lets see if this works...

YES!

This is the low freq response with no treat.
Attached Thumbnails
How I built my bass traps...-notrapslownoise.jpg  
Cojo
3rd October 2006
Old 3rd October 2006
Lives for gear

...and here it is with just four traps (one in each front corner and two against the front wall).
Attached Thumbnails
How I built my bass traps...-4trapsoneineachfrontcorner2infrontwalllownoise.jpg  
3rd October 2006
Old 3rd October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
...and this is one of the sketches, note that not everything is like in reality and everything evolves, colours, construction, problems... what I know now I want to have my table/console different... the back is not solved also to my liking... but I'm moving in as I write this
That looks rather cool, yet simple. Has me thinking about how I'm going to do it.
How would you go about amking those eliptical wooden deals behind the speakers though? Thats tricky stuff.
3rd October 2006
Old 3rd October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoff View Post
I'm using a frame made of 1'' by 2'' wood in the back of 2 2" 703 pieces.
Cloth is stapled to the wood frame holding the firberlass is place. This makes the frame much lighter and easier to hang. Is there any problem with building the traps this way?
If your planing on using backing (I choosed to use MDF for my Gobo's backing),
Leaving an air tight space equal to the thinckess of the isolation between the isolation and the backing will give you much better results in terms of how low your broadband panel "can go".

for example:
Cloth - 6` 703 - 6` Space - Backing
Cojo
3rd October 2006
Old 3rd October 2006
Lives for gear

Ok guys...

...the last picture! Here they are at place. I put them at the front wall and one at each front corner. After some testing this position seems to give the best overall response with just four traps. The next thing now is to get a small cloud up and some damping on the side walls.

Thanks for your interest!

/Cojo
Attached Thumbnails
How I built my bass traps...-pict0128.jpg  
10th October 2006
Old 10th October 2006
Gear Head

how much did it cost to make these traps? i'm looking into making some, or buying some from GIK. Which would be cheaper? I figure i will build gobo style stands for the gik's if i bought them.

Also, where can i get 703 in northern california? do they sell it at home depot or do i need to order it online?
10th October 2006
Old 10th October 2006
Lives for gear

The ones that Cojo made should be quite inexpensive, when I calculated all the money I payed to build mine, it was around $200 for one panel. Seems like nothing...
10th October 2006
Old 10th October 2006
Gear maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to SMC Productions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel DuBay View Post

There is s BRAND NEW Acoustics forum just about to go live that is non-commercial and is dedicated entirely to idea and application of DIY ACOUSTIC TREATMENTS..
Well, don't keep it a secret. Link please?
Cojo
10th October 2006
Old 10th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithrt99 View Post
how much did it cost to make these traps?
Hi.

The cost/trap was 34 euros.

/Cojo
10th October 2006
Old 10th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
How would you go about amking those eliptical wooden deals behind the speakers though? Thats tricky stuff.
Just trying to figure it out. There are ways how to bend plywood to various shapes (for ex. some chairs are made from that). But I'm going to just force a thin flat plywood into a frame of some kind... with some bulkheads... and for the fabric covered parts I'm going to use perforated sololit with high perforation %, that should act like almost uncovered wool.

Will see, I'm about to start building it...
10th October 2006
Old 10th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just trying to figure it out. There are ways how to bend plywood to various shapes (for ex. some chairs are made from that). But I'm going to just force a thin flat plywood into a frame of some kind... with some bulkheads... and for the fabric covered parts I'm going to use perforated sololit with high perforation %, that should act like almost uncovered wool.

Will see, I'm about to start building it...
I would have thought that thin plywood would have been easy to bend to that kind of shape. I wonder if you might need some kind of dampening material stuck behind them (like you get inside a car door or hood). They might vibrate a bit at their resonant frequency.

FWIW you can get flexible MDF (it has parallel grooves cut into it) that you can easily bend into cylinders etc.
10th October 2006
Old 10th October 2006
Lives for gear

That's why I have two packages of rockwool in the yard waiting to be part of it ;-).

I hope it is going to bend well. I also saw this MDF, but I prefer to have the "same" material on the front wall as on the side walls. MDF or sololit is an alternative though...
10th October 2006
Old 10th October 2006
Gear maniac

Do you need the frames ?

I currently have a bunch of panels made like: (1) 1" 705FSK (foil out), backed by (3) 1" 703's. All four are together making a 4" panel wrapped tightly in a homemade burlap "pillowcase".

When I put them in the corners as bass traps, I put the foil side away from the wall, and when I use them as absorbers, I put the foil side to the wall.

I just noticed a lot of people doing frames. Is there a reason other than aesthetics, and increased mounting ability ?

Have I done it wrong ?
Cojo
10th October 2006
Old 10th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonman View Post
Do you need the frames ?

I currently have a bunch of panels made like: (1) 1" 705FSK (foil out), backed by (3) 1" 703's. All four are together making a 4" panel wrapped tightly in a homemade burlap "pillowcase".

When I put them in the corners as bass traps, I put the foil side away from the wall, and when I use them as absorbers, I put the foil side to the wall.

I just noticed a lot of people doing frames. Is there a reason other than aesthetics, and increased mounting ability ?

Have I done it wrong ?
You don't need frames. I did the frames just to make them sturdy and look good.

/Cojo
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search