New Reply
Subscribe
chaeridley
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
Gear nut

Treatment for redesigned control room

Hi guys,

Some background on the room. It is located within a larger room in a very large metal building. Enclosed about 300 sq. ft. to use as a control room. Room lacks symmetry but it's all we have to work with. Walls were put up with R-13 insulation. Solid core doors. Ceiling has been filled with exposed R-30 10" batts. There is currently no sheetrock on the ceiling. We have flown 6 4'x8' peg boards 4" off the ceiling to attach lighting to and possibly gain back some slight high end non parallel reflection. Concrete floors with laminate wood flooring installed.

I have a picture gallery attached with some ideas about what we have proposed to do with the room. Wanted to make sure there were no gross deficiencies in the plan.

Plan on organizing the room this week and getting some Room EQ Wizard visuals up to help with what needs to be done.

Quick run down of proposal. 2'x4'x2" panels around the walls. 6lb density Minwool. 2'x4'x4" panels in the channels of the I beam. Same minwool. 2'x2'x4" behind the speakers.

Corners are weird with doors too close and a fire alarm in the other corner or sharp angles. Maybe can give some advice on thin width bass traps. Exposed R-30 insulation in the ceiling 10" batts of standard stuff. Should address all of my ceiling to wall joints for bass issues.

Picture Gallery
Ceiling Picture

Few questions I have would be around the use of 2" or 4" traps for the walls with the consideration of the exposed ceiling.
What density minwool would be ideal for each trap.
Is dispersion an issue with a room so small.
How much treatment should I go with on the front wall with the asymmetry of the back wall.
Would the traps behind the speakers be beneficial.

If you need more info let me know. Thanks guys
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
Gear Guru

You need 4" panels and you want them straddling corners. Also your mix spot might be better facing the corner where the drum kit is. That would give you much better symmetry. If you do plan on testing the room I would give it a try there and see the response.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
chaeridley
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
Gear nut

Thanks Glenn. Are you suggesting that the 12-13 2'x4'x2" proposed panels on the walls should all be 4" panels instead? I'm planning on treating the corners with some corner traps eventually. The issue is there is a door within 9" of one corner. Another corner has a fire alarm in it. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to treat those.
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
Gear Guru

Yes I would go with 4" on the walls. In fact if you can go deeper with a air gap that much better.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search