Questions about mounting, etc.
DoItRight
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear interested

Questions about mounting, etc.

I'm looking to make some DIY acoustic treatment à la this article by the great Ethan Winer: Build a Better Bass Trap

That said, I can't afford to go putting toggle bolts in the walls as it is not really my house (not to mention the caulking). Are there any alternative mounting approaches or other DIY designs I could use here? I like the idea of crafting some decent-looking traps that I can just throw in the car and take with me when I move. Loose fiberglass insulation in bags is not preferable, as it's more of a short-term solution than I'm looking for.

That is my main question, but I have a couple of others: My bedroom is about 11 x 11 ft. with 2x8 ft. partitioned out for the closet. If you can imagine, this leaves a small 2x3 ft. alcove (which is where the entrance is placed). Would it be better to have this alcove directly to my left while mixing, or should I put my desk against the opposite wall so the alcove is behind me?

And one final question: My room is pretty packed with furniture. In one corner I have a CD rack, in another corner a tall laundry hamper, and in yet another is my bed. Additionally, I have a rather large desk and a tall dresser crammed in. This doesn't leave much room for acoustic treatment on the walls or the wall-wall corners. Would it be better to remove some of the furniture to put in treatment, or try to treat around the furniture?

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by DoItRight; 26th March 2013 at 04:01 AM.. Reason: clarity
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

If you want portable panels you're much better off building or buying panels made from rigid fiberglass. The wood panel traps in my article work well in large rooms, but they're more costly and much more effort to build.

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search