Login / Register
 
I have acoustic foam... now what?
New Reply
Subscribe
JoonJukx
Thread Starter
#1
6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
  #1
Gear maniac
 
JoonJukx's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012

Thread Starter
JoonJukx is offline
I have acoustic foam... now what?

I recently purchased some acoustic foam...

1 pkg of 12"x12'x4" (Charcoal)
1 pkg of 12"x12"2" (1/2 charcoal 1/2 purple)

i record in my spare bedroom that my girl and i use as an office, so in the photos you will notice another computer is in the back left corner of the room... that would be hers. In the back right corner of the room i have my mic setup in front of a thick white duvet and cheap bed foam on the ceiling... (the best i could do right now). I have my desk pulled approximately 8" from the wall and the area directly behind it is covered with 2" foam.

the uper corners of my room have 4" thick padding wedged in a bass trap like manner until i can purchase actual bass traps... for now they seem to be doing a well enough job.

Directly to the right of my sitting position is a highly reflective closet door, not sure how to go about solving that yet, i also have two large windows behind me... im assuming thick curtains would do the trick to help kill sound bouncing back.
#2
6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Jens Eklund's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,614

Jens Eklund is offline
JoonJukx
Thread Starter
#3
7th March 2013
Old 7th March 2013
  #3
Gear maniac
 
JoonJukx's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012

Thread Starter
JoonJukx is offline
Dead link

Sent from my LG-C729
#4
7th March 2013
Old 7th March 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Jens Eklund's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,614

Jens Eklund is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonJukx View Post
Dead link
Works fine here.
#5
7th March 2013
Old 7th March 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Arthur Stone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,242

Send a message via ICQ to Arthur Stone
Arthur Stone is offline
#6
7th March 2013
Old 7th March 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Jens Eklund's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,614

Jens Eklund is offline
Smoke and mirrors ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
What Jens says + mirror points
Better to measure (by using the ETC) and locate (and then treat) the actual reflection paths causing high gain early reflections, than trying to guess by using mirrors:

Monitor & Mixing Desk Placement - Reflection Issues
JoonJukx
Thread Starter
#7
7th March 2013
Old 7th March 2013
  #7
Gear maniac
 
JoonJukx's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012

Thread Starter
JoonJukx is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
What Jens says + mirror points: The Studio SOS Guide To Monitoring & Acoustic Treatment

I also made a ceiling cloud by making a simple wood frame to hold 2 tiles and covered it with cloth.
Can I possibly see a pic of your ceiling? And I tried the mirror idea... can't seem to grasp the technique... my room is so small that every were seems to have the speakers in sight

Sent from my LG-C729
#8
7th March 2013
Old 7th March 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Arthur Stone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,242

Send a message via ICQ to Arthur Stone
Arthur Stone is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
Better to measure (by using the ETC) and locate (and then treat) the actual reflection paths causing high gain early reflections, than trying to guess by using mirrors:

Monitor & Mixing Desk Placement - Reflection Issues
Thanks for the advice Jens
I have treatments at mirror points (as far as my room architecture allows) and then a KRK Ergo. Basically I've had to compromise as I have a home studio (although that is no defence on Gearslutz ).

Personally I found that placing the tiles in exactly the same position as a mirror reflection of the monitor, made a huge difference to soundstage/resolution/tone/dynamics but it's good to know I can improve on this.

I will be exploring the ETC of my room but I doubt that I'll be able to re-position the treatment; if I get a better understanding now it will help when I design and build my next studio.

@JoonJukx
No pics at mo - will do one later if I have time...it's a basic rectangular wood frame with a centre spar that creates 2 square holes for 2 tiles to sit in...I padded it and covered in material and then hung it from 2 hooks in the ceiling.
#9
7th March 2013
Old 7th March 2013
  #9
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 16,180

Glenn Kuras is offline
Quote:
Personally I found that placing the tiles in exactly the same position as a mirror reflection of the monitor, made a huge difference to soundstage/resolution/tone/dynamics but it's good to know I can improve on this.
Which it will.
Video Early or First Reflection Points - GIK Acoustics

Joon,
See the following to help with set up.
The Basics of Room Acoustics: Bass Traps, Diffusion, Panels - GIK Acoustics
also understanding low end
Bass Traps and Understanding Low Frequencies - GIK Acoustics
__________________
Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics USA
GIK Acoustics Europe
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
#10
7th March 2013
Old 7th March 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Jens Eklund's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,614

Jens Eklund is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Thanks for the advice Jens
I have treatments at mirror points (as far as my room architecture allows) and then a KRK Ergo. Basically I've had to compromise as I have a home studio (although that is no defence on Gearslutz ).

Personally I found that placing the tiles in exactly the same position as a mirror reflection of the monitor, made a huge difference to soundstage/resolution/tone/dynamics but it's good to know I can improve on this.

I will be exploring the ETC of my room but I doubt that I'll be able to re-position the treatment; if I get a better understanding now it will help when I design and build my next studio.

@JoonJukx
No pics at mo - will do one later if I have time...it's a basic rectangular wood frame with a centre spar that creates 2 square holes for 2 tiles to sit in...I padded it and covered in material and then hung it from 2 hooks in the ceiling.
The "mirror trick" works if you’re only interested in theoretical first order geometric reflection points assuming an omni source. Then these reflections are normally the strongest ones, but speaker directivity might be very different from a point source so just because you see the speaker in the mirror does not mean that you´ll get a strong reflection from that surface.

What a mirror fails to discover is higher order reflections (a reflection that uses two or more surfaces to bonus back to the sweet spot) and reflections caused by diffraction (speaker baffle desk, screens etc) and above all; At what level is the reflection?

I haven’t read the article linked to, but I would advise against reading any article that is supposed to cover the topic of early reflections, that does not mention the ETC at all, but only talks about mirrors ...
Quote
1
#11
7th March 2013
Old 7th March 2013
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 16,180

Glenn Kuras is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
The "mirror trick" works if you’re only interested in theoretical first order geometric reflection points assuming an omni source. Then these reflections are normally the strongest ones, but speaker directivity might be very different from a point source so just because you see the speaker in the mirror does not mean that you´ll get a strong reflection from that surface.

What a mirror fails to discover is higher order reflections (a reflection that uses two or more surfaces to bonus back to the sweet spot) and reflections caused by diffraction (speaker baffle desk, screens etc) and above all; At what level is the reflection?

I haven’t read the article linked to, but I would advise against reading any article that is supposed to cover the topic of early reflections, that does not mention the ETC at all, but only talks about mirrors ...
All good points and in the video (above video) we put out we do talk about ETC but that is about it. We do plan on doing a article just on ETC in the future for the "more advanced" user.
Needless to say though for the person that is having trouble figuring out how to test (or figure out ETC graphs) the room with software and or a beginner, the mirror trick is a great starting point.
JoonJukx
Thread Starter
#12
11th March 2013
Old 11th March 2013
  #12
Gear maniac
 
JoonJukx's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012

Thread Starter
JoonJukx is offline
Any suggestions for windows?

Sent from my LG-C729
#13
11th March 2013
Old 11th March 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Arthur Stone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,242

Send a message via ICQ to Arthur Stone
Arthur Stone is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonJukx View Post
Any suggestions for windows?
Use them as bass traps - use curtains to add or remove colour from room.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ine-kpro... / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
13
geeek / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
5
bass man / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
8
Coyoteous / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
30

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.