Login / Register

Porous absorption - A trio of bass trappings!
New Reply
Subscribe
knariman
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear interested

Porous absorption - A trio of bass trappings!

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your input both direct and indirect, as it has helped me immensely over the past couple of years!

I have an urgent request, as construction of panels and bass traps begins tomorrow for my new home studio, and at the last minute i've gleaned more information which has thrown my old bass-trapping plans into disarray. I know this is another straddled panel vs super chunk discussion, but i have some other ideas as well to compare to, and couldn't find answers after an extensive search.

I have ordered a lot of 64kg/m3 of rockwool panels, 2" and 4", each is 100cm x 50cm (or about 40" x 20"). Now I had planned to simply superchunk the corners of my room entirely, floor to ceiling.

My problem is that i've been doing some thinking, and my thought is that the superchunks would only adequately trap bass down to about 150hz or so - which is still stretching it (they would be 50cm x 50cm). Now if i straddle the corners with 4" RW panels, they would effectively be 70+cm from the wall which is a whole 20cm of additional spacing (as in proposed design 1). I was wondering if I add to this, and straddle another smaller panel behind it (as in proposed design 2) i would maintain a 70cm gap, and have two 4" panels of absorbtion.

Rockwool is very cheap in India, and so I just wanted to know your thoughts on my two proposed designs, whether you think the additional spacing would grant me better and/or lower end absorption? I have also included my room floor plan in case you would like to see. I plan to put bass traps on all the corners.

SuperChunks:
Porous absorption - A trio of bass trappings!-superchunk.jpg

Proposed Design 1:
Porous absorption - A trio of bass trappings!-bass-trap-design-1.jpg

Proposed Design 2:
Porous absorption - A trio of bass trappings!-bass-trap-design-2.jpg

Last edited by knariman; 28th February 2013 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: length correction
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

There is no advantage to design 2.

Enjoy!

Andre
knariman
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear interested

Thanks Andre! What about between the 50cm x 50cm superchunk and the 70cm x 70cm (spacing) rw panel? I'm a little confused because in my understanding, a superchunk of equal depth as a 4" panel is supposed to provide better absorption down to lower frequencies. However in this case the panel depth would be greater than that of the superchunk, so which would be preferable? or rather, what relative performance could i expect between the two?

Sorry for being a noob, ive been studying acoustics in depth for the past 3 months but there are still so many uncertainties! eh i suppose the learning/experimenting never stops, but I really want to give the studio design the best I possibly can with my means, and yours and all the other active experts opinions would be invaluable for ths cause. Thanks so much!
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by knariman View Post
Thanks Andre! What about between the 50cm x 50cm superchunk and the 70cm x 70cm (spacing) rw panel?!
The second one with 64 kg/m³ material will be better.

Andre
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search