Varying depth bass traps/panels...
New Reply
Subscribe
Taproot
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Gear nut

Varying depth bass traps/panels...

So I finally got my boxes built (2' x 6') and just need to finish the assembly. They are roughly 9" deep at the top and 3" deep at the bottom. I plan to mount 2"-4" of 703 Insulation, suspended an inch off of the back panel, sealing the boxes and mounting these about two inches off the wall (side walls). There will be (12) of these total (six each side l/r). Are there some tricks I could utilize to broaden there usefulness? I have seen people mention ports. Maybe port every other one? All of them? Suggestions on port size/type? Different material for absorption?
I intend to do ceiling treatments that will be more targeted to problem areas, once we analyze the room. These will not be covered with fabric. They will be exposed wood, stained with trimmed corners.

www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"Mr. Engineer, faders up!"- John Wayne, Texas Funeral
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taproot View Post
I have seen people mention ports. Maybe port every other one? All of them? Suggestions on port size/type?
Do you want to tune them to a specific frequency with a port? I am on the wrong computer to pull up my archive, but I have a reference for a calculator for a ported panel-faced enclosure that's sort of like this:

Port Length Calculator

In practice, it is typical to buy a longer port tube than you need, then during testing, cut its length sequentially until you get the required tuning. OTOH, if you want this to function as a pressure-based absorber, I'm pretty sure it needs to be air tight. If you want this to function like a Helmholtz absorber, search GS for Boggy's ported HH design. I just don't have time right now.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search