Advice on Monitor Placement/Acoustic Baffling
lyell
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear interested

Advice on Monitor Placement/Acoustic Baffling

Hey all,

Longtime reader, first-time poster - I apologize if I've miscatalogued this post at all.

I am setting up gear in my (bedroom garage) home studio, and I'd appreciate some placement/baffling advice. It's far from an ideal space, and I have easy access to a professional, treated, space with a pair of 8050As nearby, so I'm not looking for perfection, but I'd like to create a space at home where creating reasonably portable mixes is possible.

Here's the relevant gear I'm working with: 2x Dynaudio BM5A Mk II, Apogee Duet II, 88-key Roland that doubles as monitor stand and control.

Concerns: cement walls, a desire for my girlfriend and I not to inhale fiberglass fumes in our sleep, space with parallel walls and a funny little alcove (see picture), somewhat limited budget.

As an aside, I mostly work on soundtrack and rock type production, so bass treatment is not as critical as it might be in an electronic/hip-hop production space; that said, I'd like to get it as good as reasonably possible.

Thanks much,
Lyell

19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear Head

You don't want one monitor so close to the wall as you will get enhanced bass on that side. Bass traps will still be of use for any type of music you are doing as you want to hear what's going to tape. Some wall tiles at reflection points on the walls and ceilings would be useful in there (get someone to hold up at mirror and move around, the reflection points are where you can see the tweeters from your listening position)
lyell
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear interested

Thanks - I'll give that a go. Also think it makes sense to move the monitor/keyboard setup back against (well a foot or two away from) the wall facing the garage door in order to get out of that corner and have the sound project lengthwise down the room rather than from the center.
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear Guru

19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyell View Post
As an aside, I mostly work on soundtrack and rock type production, so bass treatment is not as critical as it might be in an electronic/hip-hop production space; that said, I'd like to get it as good as reasonably possible.
For a space of this size, treating the bass will be the crux and it's essential to give it emphasis in your plan. If you don't, the mixed product will suffer and probably not translate well. I'd recommend reading up on superchunks, soffits, LMV traps and VPRs. You can find a ton of info here through the search function. Good luck!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search