New Reply
Subscribe
NS3474
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Head

Surface area vs. volume for soffit-style traps . . . a small room question

Hey guys/gals,

I'm considering making some soffit-style bass traps for my smallish apartment, but wanted to get some thoughts on the effectiveness of the idea. I've been reading through a lot of these threads lately, and it really blows my mind to see all the info that's being tossed around on this forum.

A bit about my room:

11'11"Lx9'9"Wx7'10"H. As expected, a lot of low end <120Hz junk. I currently have four GIK 244 2'x4'x4" bass panels, one each straddling two front corners and two suspended above my head, 4" off the ceiling. (This was the placement suggested by Brian from GIK.)

Due to various pipes/shelving/doors, and also the renter's status, I'm having trouble finding places to put more panels. However, there are a couple of corners where I could probably get away with stuffing a few soffit-style traps. My question to you folks is, would a 14"x14"x48" trap--in a rear floor/wall/wall corner--do any real good in low-end land? At its widest point, it would be almost 20" thick . . . surely that would be worthwhile?

Also, for this size, what type of material would I want? I've seen people say that sometimes the 'fluffy stuff' is actually better for LF absorption than rigid fiberglass, but I haven't been able to determine what factors go into this determination.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Gear Guru

14" IMO is starting to get a bit small, but it should help "some what". I have only tested 17" which I know works.
Do you have any floor space you can put trapping along the wall/floor corners around the room? A lot of times people have extra space in the front of the room where the desk is.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS3474 View Post
Also, for this size, what type of material would I want? I've seen people say that sometimes the 'fluffy stuff' is actually better for LF absorption than rigid fiberglass, but I haven't been able to determine what factors go into this determination.
As you make larger (thicker) traps for LF, denser materials will be more reflective than the fluffy stuff.

NASA, LF Absorption and Gas Flow Resistivity
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search