New Reply
Subscribe
2manyrocks
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

Rigid Cotton panels practical or not?

http://www.bondedlogic.com/pdf/acous...spec-sheet.pdf

There appear to be a few companies like the one above that supply recycled cotton acoustical panels.

For purposes of reducing reverberation time in a say 35x40 foot meeting room, these kind of cotton panels would seem to have these advantages: 1) cotton instead of fiberglas or rockwool; 2) no need to wrap in fabric; 3) glued to wall without building a frame; 4) available in choice of colors. If you will, they appear to be a "glue and stick on the wall" type of option instead of building a frame for OC703 and then wrapping it in fabric.

The problem is these cotton panels are special order in my area. I haven't seen them in person. So I'm asking for your thoughts on them.

Does the cotton flake off if people brush up against them? Do they collect a lot of dust from the HVAC system? Can the dust be removed with a vac without damaging the panel? Do they adhere to the wall well? Do they tend to fall off after a period of time? Are they excessively floppy compared to OC703 if glued directly to a wall? Do they loose a lot of fibers and make a mess? Are they cost effective? Any other thoughts on them?
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Guru

Nice

They look nice and cotton seems sort of human friendly. However, cotton can rot in the lungs apparently.
The Comparative Safety of Rockwool, Fiberglass, and Organic Fibers (a review)
Caruso Isobond seems to be one of the best health wise but no US distribution.

You can buy fireproof faced fibre panels for direct attachment to the walls. These appear in Cinemas and such. Lamaphon.

Many of us build a simple frame ON the wall. Squeeze fit the fibre batts, cover with fabric, maybe using a proprietary stretch fabric system. Fireproof is a thing. Such frames can be done opposite each other. You don't have to have fibre facing fibre to control flutter echo and half the surface area of the walls should be plenty to hear a decent change.

DD
2manyrocks
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for the insight.

It seems counterintuitive that cotton fibers would be more hazardous in the lung than manmade fibers. I'm guessing the thought is that the natural ingredient will rot while the manmade fiber is inert.
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Guru

Intuition

Indeed, but I wouldn't want to sleep between sheets of 703!
DD
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search