"No Frame " OC 703 -- Wish I Would Have Seen This Earlier ...
Old 26th December 2012
Gear maniac

"No Frame " OC 703 -- Wish I Would Have Seen This Earlier ...

Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

most times the "frameless" finish (fairly common in retail spaces where lots of panels are used for acoustic and/or decorative purposes) use 6lb/ft3 (96kg/m3) since the 3lb/ft3 (48kg/m3) is too soft to use - but the 6lb might not be what you need for the absorbers... also the dipped edges mean you lose some of the nice effects that exposed edges give you (not a concern if your frames weren't going to be open on the sides anyways).
Old 26th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullfo View Post
most times the "frameless" finish (fairly common in retail spaces where lots of panels are used for acoustic and/or decorative purposes) use 6lb/ft3 (96kg/m3) since the 3lb/ft3 (48kg/m3) is too soft to use - but the 6lb might not be what you need for the absorbers... also the dipped edges mean you lose some of the nice effects that exposed edges give you (not a concern if your frames weren't going to be open on the sides anyways).
Thanks, that makes me feel better, especially since I decided on an open-side design for my panels.
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Same here.

Gullfo [Glenn] guided me in my open-sided absorber design. I used drywall corner beading that were riveted into cages to house the double thick panels. Covered in fabric. They weight [maybe] 15 lbs [if that]. I used the KNAUF 'clone' of 703.
Very happy how they look and work !
Old 27th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullfo View Post
All great points from Glenn as usual.

They are easy to build with this method, but you are stuck using thin pieces of fiberglass, and if they need to be moved around often, the fabric can start to tear. This also doesn't make for very sturdy panels, and resale value is pretty much impossible should you later buy or make new ones. However, for spot treatment on remote recording locations or something, they'd be fine!
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIK Acoustics View Post
All great points from Glenn as usual.

They are easy to build with this method, but you are stuck using thin pieces of fiberglass, and if they need to be moved around often, the fabric can start to tear. This also doesn't make for very sturdy panels, and resale value is pretty much impossible should you later buy or make new ones. However, for spot treatment on remote recording locations or something, they'd be fine!
Alright, well the ones I made might not be particularly sturdy either. We'll see!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search